Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not going to get too deep into the same debates that keep happening over and over again, but I think the "Brunicke should have stayed up and St. Ivany should have been sent down" is purely a hindsight reaction based on St. Ivany's early season struggles. I think most people were completely content (or as content as you can be with this shitty defense) with the D pairs they were running with and the decision to send Brunicke back to juniors.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not going to get too deep into the same debates that keep happening over and over again, but I think the "Brunicke should have stayed up and St. Ivany should have been sent down" is purely a hindsight reaction based on St. Ivany's early season struggles. I think most people were completely content (or as content as you can be with this shitty defense) with the D pairs they were running with and the decision to send Brunicke back to juniors.

If the team is truly focused on a "youth" movement than they should be playing the best players regardless of contract status.

Brunicke was our 3rd best RHD. Shea and JSI are replacement level. I was advocating for JSI to get minutes last year, but he was clearly outplayed in camp.

If you want to extend that to Poulin and Puustinen, then I am fine, but McGroarty getting 3 games is the opposite of it IMO.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The thing that sucks about Friedman is that most of the time he's just thinking out loud. "I was wondering if they'd waive him but now I wonder if they're going to try and play him with the ultimate goal trying to trade him." Yeah, so are we. :laugh:

Reactions: Gurglesons

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I listened to the portion where he talked about the Pens-Jets game and he does actually say what's in the quote. Likened it to the Samsonov situation with Toronto last year where he might get time off to work on his game (but not necessarily game action).

They also played some audio from the game where the Jets fans were chanting "Where is Rutger?" And "Yagers better". I didn't pick up on that during the broadcast. Kind of cringe since he wasn't even in the building but I get it from their perspective. Freidman said he got the feeling that some of the Jets players had this game circled on their calendar :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's definitely a stretch but I wonder if him not going on waivers is an indication that they think they may be able to trade him for something.

That being said, I also feel like purely getting out of Jarry's deal is a win in value so I'm not sure why Dubas wouldn't try waiving him first.
I would be shocked if Dubas hasn't made a couple of calls putting a few feelers out there. Colorado, for sure. Perhaps LA and maybe even Detroit.

Trades right now are just so tough. And Freidman is spot on - with his struggles, it's going to make trading him tough. You MIGHT be able to do a swap with Krueper or Husso but that is just rearranging the Titanic's deck chairs.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Was skimming a post about Leonsis' new book because it talks about Backstrom asking to be traded after the 2016-17 Penguins beat the Caps again in the playoffs (lol), and buried there was a quote from GM George McPhee that basically said "Coaches have to learn to coach the guys they're given, not constantly be handed the guys they want." And man, I wish that were the case here. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad