Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Maybe folks are just built differently, but I just can't ever be such a kiss ass like him no matter what. Like sacrificing my integrity, not to mention having my knowledge of the game put into question, all to defend a coach? I'd never do that just to keep my press pass.

Either that or Yohe's not actually a kiss ass and just is an absolute moron when it comes to hockey and truly doesn't know better.

I'm willing to be wrong on this one but I honestly think that while Yohe would never wow anyone with his systematic game knowledge he can perceive the game better than he lets on. It's pretty standard across all the Pens media to bow and crawl backwards out of the room ahead of the mighty Sully. I suspect it's because they think they have to or access will be limited in some way. Is it a layover from the Grampa Jim era where he'd just randomly send out texts over his crepes about what moves he is planning?

Speaking of the JR days, let's be honest. It's not like this 'access' in this current form has allowed a single one of the Pittsburgh based journo's to actually break any kind of real news.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Part of me wonders if FSG is leaving the GM spot “open” so if Dubas messes up too bad they can slide someone in there and he can stay head of ops to save grace.

Maybe a little wishful thinking I suppose.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The current and very short-term path of the team is not a binary choice. It's just not. It doesn't matter how many times people want the all-in or all-out option to choose from at arbitrarily convenient times; it's not reality.

The reality is, Dubas chose the only realistic path: Support Sid, Malkin, and Letang as best and cheaply as possible, build for the future. That's why he signed Beauvillier, that's why he took Glass and Hayes, that's why he didn't resign Jake and opted for a help-now and in the future package.

Everything he's done since the TDL last year has been geared toward that path. If the additions and the team do well, that would be awesome! If not, there is literally nothing of consequence. Beauvillier and Gryz are UFAs. Glass and Puljujarvi are decent depth young players. You can sell Petts, Gryz, Hayes, and Eller. Worst case, Hayes-Lizotte-Acciari is your 4th line next year while you fill the rest with young available guys in-house - McGroarty, Pono, Glass, etc.

It's really not that hard. It's a sucky middle ground to have to be in but let's be real, they were always going to resign the Big 3 and let them ride it out. For better or for worse. They've given us 18 years of service, they get to pick - especially Sid.

There's also a bit of a business case here. People don't want to pretend the team is a business, but it is. Revenues matter, even if it's FSG. You don't get big like FSG by paying max dollar for bad assets. So putting a team together to try to keep butts in seats can't be ignored.

# 1. Dubas isn't supporting the core. He signed absolute dog shit players like Beauvillier. That's not supporting anything. Dude has been trash and isn't going to return anything in a trade.

# 2. Dubas is locking out the roster by continously signing these dog shit players. There is no reason McG shouldn't be playing, Puustinen shouldn't be playing, etc this year.

# 3. Dubas is failing at the business case. People aren't coming to Penguins games. Our attendance is plummeting.

Everything you are saying Dubas "should do", he isn't.

Part of me wonders if FSG is leaving the GM spot “open” so if Dubas messes up too bad they can slide someone in there and he can stay head of ops to save grace.

Maybe a little wishful thinking I suppose.

You think they gave Dubas a contract bigger than anyone on this team currently has so that they could micro manage him?

Much like Mike Sullivan. This dumbass organization thinks Dubas is a golden boy despite cosnsitently failing at doing anything competitive over nearly ten years just like Sully.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It would be cool if Dubas hired an actual GM. Dubas kind of sucks at that role.
Welcome aboard, Lyle Rudas

IMG-7355.jpg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
# 1. Dubas isn't supporting the core. He signed absolute dog shit players like Beauvillier. That's not supporting anything. Dude has been trash and isn't going to return anything in a trade.

# 2. Dubas is locking out the roster by continously signing these dog shit players. There is no reason McG shouldn't be playing, Puustinen shouldn't be playing, etc this year.

# 3. Dubas is failing at the business case. People aren't coming to Penguins games. Our attendance is plummeting.

You think they gave Dubas a contract bigger than anyone on this team currently has so that they could micro manage him?

Much like Mike Sullivan. This dumbass organization thinks Dubas is a golden boy despite cosnsitently failing at doing anything competitive over nearly ten years just like Sully.
1. Yup, maybe. He very well could be. He's a UFA at the end of the year. He costs $1.1mil. He was trash in Vancouver and still returned a 5th. He's looked good in some games, crappy in others. What were the better options that Dubas should have picked for $1mil?
2. Yup, maybe. Injuries happen as well. Blomqvist got his start from injuries, McGroarty and Puljujarvi got their chances based on injuries. Those two are not the lynchpin of a successful vs unsuccessful season. The vast majority of teams have guys on their level not playing in the NHL. To quote you - no prospect has ever suffered from more development.
3. Yup, maybe. And where would it be if there were no Sid, Geno, and Letang? You'd still have Sid but no Geno or Letang? What would Hextall have done? You don't think he would have signed more Carters, Heinens, Kapanens, Granlunds, Bleugers, etc?

Are you mad about the guys we signed or are you mad at them because Dubas was the one who signed them or traded for them?

It's a half-religious question because most of us know. If the exact same team were in front of you, but it was Hextall at the helm, would you still be this whiny? Your weaponized-willful-ignorance schtick is old and tiresome.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
No one glazes Sullivan harder than Yohe but this one was f***ing hilarious...

I mean, Bylsma was the coaching change that changed things. Sullivan was quite literally a coaching change that changed things. So quite literally, other coaches have gotten results when the previous coach fails to. But oh no, not his lover boy Mike Sullivan.

Also still hilarious...
lol. The penguins bottom six from last December.

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
1. Yup, maybe. He very well could be. He's a UFA at the end of the year. He costs $1.1mil. He was trash in Vancouver and still returned a 5th. He's looked good in some games, crappy in others. What were the better options that Dubas should have picked for $1mil?
2. Yup, maybe. Injuries happen as well. Blomqvist got his start from injuries, McGroarty and Puljujarvi got their chances based on injuries. Those two are not the lynchpin of a successful vs unsuccessful season. The vast majority of teams have guys on their level not playing in the NHL. To quote you - no prospect has ever suffered from more development.
3. Yup, maybe. And where would it be if there were no Sid, Geno, and Letang? You'd still have Sid but no Geno or Letang? What would Hextall have done? You don't think he would have signed more Carters, Heinens, Kapanens, Granlunds, Bleugers, etc?

Are you mad about the guys we signed or are you mad at them because Dubas was the one who signed them or traded for them?

It's a half-religious question because most of us know. If the exact same team were in front of you, but it was Hextall at the helm, would you still be this whiny? Your weaponized-willful-ignorance schtick is old and tiresome.

I said Hextall should've been fired after the Granlund trade.

1. The better option would've been taking a player like Mikheyev over Beau if that is the plan. If the option was trying to acquire top six talent, then you actually try to acquire one, not a guy who had less points than Puustinen last year.

2. The issue is we are saying we are a rebuilding team, but we literally have no prospects playing. How is this a rebuild?

3. Dubas literally traded for another Carter in Kevin Hayes and signed a bunch of Heinen, Kapanen, Granlunds. What are you on about? lol.

I'm fine giving Dubas compliments. The Glass trade. The EK65 trade. Gryz to some degree. These are decent moves.

The issue is his plan is non-existent. He's not focused on being a good team now, and he's not focused on being a good team in the future. He's focused on the "image" of both without doing either. Which is exactly what you'd expect from a former Canadian manager. That's how every team in Canada operates and it's why they are all stuck in endless purgatory.

Sharing my opinions that differ from yours does not make me "whiny". It's called a discussion board.

Reactions: vodeni

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

I said wishful thinking.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
From Taylor Haase

Drew O'Connor - Sidney Crosby - Bryan Rust
Michael Bunting - Evgeni Malkin - Rickard Rakell
Anthony Beauvillier - Lars Eller - Cody Glass
Kevin Hayes - Noel Acciari - Valtteri Puustinen/Jesse Puljujarvi

Matt Grzelcyk - Kris Letang
Marcus Pettersson - Erik Karlsson
Ryan Graves - Ryan Shea
Jack St. Ivany

Mike Sullivan is frustrated at multiple lines repeatedly busting up a drill here. Just blew it dead and yelled "JESUS CHRIST Which word are we having trouble with?"

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

2. The issue is we are saying we are a rebuilding team, but we literally have no prospects playing. How is this a rebuild?
Who do we have that should be playing? People complain about Puustinen all the time but he's just not that good. And he's 25, barely even a prospect.

Most of our other prospects didn't show anything in camp although Poulin has since had a good start in WBS and I wouldn't mind rewarding him with a call up.

I dunno I just think that people are so desperate for youth in the lineup around here that they forget that what youth we have in our system is largely either unready or just flat out bad.

Sullivan makes terrible lineup decisions all the time but I'm just not seeing who he's blocking youth-wise that deserves to be up.

I'd love it if Dubas did get an infusion of youth into the lineup because our lineup desperately needs that but it's going to take some more drafting and probably another year or two of development from what we already have in the system before we start to see that youth infusion. Until then it's going to be suffering.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

Sid usually doesn't comment as much when they're in a funk but the stuff he said after this one is frustration and when your HOF franchise star is saying stuff like that, as a GM you gotta pay real close attention to what the real issues are and it's been the way they play. It's not one game or two they're like this. Routinely giving up the puck and giving up the 2nd most shots against per game and a lot of high danger shots.

His line has been ass sure but it's the way this entire team plays. That's on the coach.
so sid does read our posts:nod:

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
From Taylor Haase
She also said…

With all three goalies out here, Alex Nedeljkovic is the one getting his own net and Tristan Jarry/Joel Blomqvist are rotating in the other. Would suggest that Nedeljkovic is still the No. 1 right now.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
She also said…

With all three goalies out here, Alex Nedeljkovic is the one getting his own net and Tristan Jarry/Joel Blomqvist are rotating in the other. Would suggest that Nedeljkovic is still the No. 1 right now.
Ned's gonna take the net and lose to Calgary and then one of Blomqvist or Jarry are going to have the misfortune of facing the Oilers firing squad lol

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

1. The better option would've been taking a player like Mikheyev over Beau if that is the plan. If the option was trying to acquire top six talent, then you actually try to acquire one, not a guy who had less points than Puustinen last year.

3. Dubas literally traded for another Carter in Kevin Hayes and signed a bunch of Heinen, Kapanen, Granlunds. What are you on about? lol.

I'm fine giving Dubas compliments. The Glass trade. The EK65 trade. Gryz to some degree. These are decent moves.

The issue is his plan is non-existent. He's not focused on being a good team now, and he's not focused on being a good team in the future. He's focused on the "image" of both without doing either. Which is exactly what you'd expect from a former Canadian manager. That's how every team in Canada operates and it's why they are all stuck in endless purgatory.

Sharing my opinions that differ from yours does not make me "whiny". It's called a discussion board.
1. If you're hinging your credibility and wishes for top 6 talent on Mikheyev over Beauvillier, I have some bad news for you. Very bad. Dubas made the Mikheyev move when took Hayes. But again, you're mad about one and want the other. The player in this case was irrelevant.

2. I have no idea what you're trying to say here and I don't think you do either to be quite honest.

3. He took Hayes because he got a 2nd (a project low 2nd) to take him. Isn't that what you were wanting when saying you wanted Mikheyev? Hextall PAID for Carter and signed him a ridiculous extension with a NMC. Not to mention Hayes is scoring at a rate 4x higher than Carter. Pick a different battle.
The point of Heinen, Kap, Granlund was to say - you don't think Hextall would have signed guys in the exact same way Dubas did this year? You think Hextall would have gone in with Poulin, Puustinen, Puljujarvi, and McGroarty being starting roster players with the only depth players being the likes of Gruden, Johnstone, and Koppanen? Get real. You only hate the team, the roster, the trades, etc because it was Dubas and you're mad at Dubas because they fired Hextall.

"I don't understand what they are doing with the roster!" Yes you do. Again, it's weaponized-willful-ignorance.

From Taylor Haase
Mike, I don't think they understand your good words and sentences. Maybe if you spoke betterer.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad