Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Just realized Hayes has a year after this one. Couldn’t even get more than a 2nd for taking that on?
It was a fair price. And then we got the extra 3rd with the pick swap so, I'm good.

Hayes has been good though. I've been happy with the overall play he's brought. He's what we needed on the 4th line. We could send him out at the TDL this year, at any point in the summer, or at any point next season. Price might get good if he continues to do well. He's at, what $3.5 roughly? Maybe not this year but next, if you retain on him and bump him down to $2mil or so, I think there are plenty of team that would find that appealing.

So I think it's reasonable to say that Dubas got paid now to do it and will get paid later as well. Exactly the type of move a retooling team should be doing.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
On that Hayes topic, the same reason I'm whatever about Hayes' salary on L4 is also why I flat out don't understand why the Blues paid a 2nd to get out of his deal. Granted they recovered some of that value by getting a 3rd for taking Joseph (who I would have also gone after, but I suppose they don't really need at this point), but why are the St. Louis Blues of all teams wasting assets to get rid of bad deals?

They've finished with 92 and 81 points in the last 2 years, definitely don't look like a contender and maybe don't even look like a playoff team. They're not particularly young, not particularly good and don't really have a prospect pool that suggests they'll be good in the near term. Not exactly sure why that team is looking at their roster and thinking "we need to pay to get out of Hayes' $3.8 million deal".

Just everything about them is mediocre. Finished 16th in the NHL last year, have the 14th ranked prospect pool according to Wheeler and have the 18th youngest team.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
On that Hayes topic, the same reason I'm whatever about Hayes' salary on L4 is also why I flat out don't understand why the Blues paid a 2nd to get out of his deal. Granted they recovered some of that value by getting a 3rd for taking Joseph (who I would have also gone after, but I suppose they don't really need at this point), but why are the St. Louis Blues of all teams wasting assets to get rid of bad deals?

They've finished with 92 and 81 points in the last 2 years, definitely don't look like a contender and maybe don't even look like a playoff team. They're not particularly young, not particularly good and don't really have a prospect pool that suggests they'll be good in the near term. Not exactly sure why that team is looking at their roster and thinking "we need to pay to get out of Hayes' $3.8 million deal".

Just everything about them is mediocre. Finished 16th in the NHL last year, have the 14th ranked prospect pool according to Wheeler and have the 18th youngest team.
I think they did that because they actually want to SEE what they have in some of their prospects like Zach Bolduc (one example). They also brought in Texier and Joseph, and have a bunch of guys coming up like Dvorsky, Dean, Kaskimaki et al.

Plus Kevin Hayes was flat-out brutal for them. In all honesty, he has been way better with us so far than he ever was in St. Louis.

But at the end of the day, you don't have to be a Michkov-level prospect to replace Kevin Hayes...which is what your post was sounding like to me.

I have far less issues with Hayes and Glass because Sullivan is actually playing them where they should be...and we got assets back. Beauvillier is inexcusable and Lizotte is superfluous until Eller is traded.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I think they did that because they actually want to SEE what they have in some of their prospects like Zach Bolduc (one example). They also brought in Texier and Joseph, and have a bunch of guys coming up like Dvorsky, Dean, Kaskimaki et al.

Plus Kevin Hayes was flat-out brutal for them. In all honesty, he has been way better with us so far than he ever was in St. Louis.

But at the end of the day, you don't have to be a Michkov-level prospect to replace Kevin Hayes...which is what your post was sounding like to me.

I have far less issues with Hayes and Glass because Sullivan is actually playing them where they should be...and we got assets back. Beauvillier is inexcusable and Lizotte is superfluous until Eller is traded.
They finished 6 points behind LVGK for the final wild card And they're a better team with Bolduc, Broberg and Holloway than with Hayes.
Moving Hayes and putting and putting Krug on LTIR helped make those moves possible.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

It's a good point and a little baffling from an outsider's perspective who has no care for how they finish. Internally, I imagine they are saying "we have Kyrou, we have Thomas, we have Neighbours who are all young in-their-prime guys. We have a good supporting cast with Saad, Schenn, and we just invested a lot of money in Buchnevich...yeah, we need to continue to built a team that will compete".

They dumped Hayes and brought in Joseph, Holloway, and Broberg. It's a roster that lacks a high-end talent as the franchise guy, but it's still a solid roster with good depth. Similar to say, Utah and Seattle. So if everyone performs, they could be in the playoffs. It's the same as Seattle, the same as Utah, and the same as us.

I don't see what other option they really have. Thomas and Kyrou are their only major assets and they are just young enough where you'd hate to trade them away. You're not likely getting the replacement player nor will the pick be high enough to justify it IMHO. They're in a tough spot organization-wise.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

We got a NHL player who is overpaid.

3.57 millon cap hit.

2.625 million in real money.

29 points last year
33 point pace for us so far

2nd for him and 3rd = 23% chance at a NHLer

It's not bad work especially if next year we trade him at the deadline for another 2nd or 3rd.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We got a NHL player who is overpaid.

3.57 millon cap hit.

2.625 million in real money.

29 points last year
33 point pace for us so far

2nd for him and 3rd = 23% chance at a NHLer

It's not bad work especially if next year we trade him at the deadline for another 2nd or 3rd.

And I bet they flip him for a 3rd next year at the deadline when they retain 50% on him. If Hayes can continue to be effective for them, getting a year and a half out of him plus a 2nd and 3rd is a great return on investment.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Hayes is a veteran who has upside with a different organization. Dubas can trade him next TDL and end up with 3 picks for taking him from the Blues. So even a third next year fills the prospect pipeline as Pens rebuild the system. Dubas depending on the results this will certainly move other assets for picks/prospects after this year. Dubas will continue the mix of vets and players who bring the juice. Young legs as they mature into young NHL caliber players like Brunicke, Rutger M, Pickering, Bellevue, St Ivany, the young goalies, Ponomarev and Broz for starters, Add in Jess P and DOC. Pens are building the roster depth to then add when they show they can compete.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Not sure I buy Jarry out. Big savings year 1, then not really any until after year 3 (when his deal is up anyway). You could argue burying him is better option.

It’s not uber painful though, so I still get it
I don't think this team will be in need of cap space in 3 years

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
O'Connor Crosby Rust
Bunting Malkin Rakell
Hayes Eller Puljujarvi
Lizotte Glass Acciari
I'd be curious about this going forward...

Rakell, Crosby, Rust
O'Connor, Malkin, Puljujarvi
Bunting, Eller, Puustinen
Hayes, Glass, Acciari

Beauvillier at home wanking to pics of Anna Kendrick while Sullivan sits in a dark corner with a pint of Boston's finest piss water, Samuel Adams.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
And I bet they flip him for a 3rd next year at the deadline when they retain 50% on him. If Hayes can continue to be effective for them, getting a year and a half out of him plus a 2nd and 3rd is a great return on investment.
I mean Hayes hasn't been bad at all and his offense isn't an issue, but he is quite literally on the 4th line with a player that isn't good at production and is trying to still figure out his game in Glass, and then the other is Acciari.

The fact that Hayes has 2 goals right now is impressive as shit considering that. I still think he would be good on the LW with Eller.

Its kind of funny that Beauvillier and Sid are fine only when Rakell is on that line as the RW, any other variation of Beauvillier with Sid is a disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad