Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Jarry sweating bullets now I'm sure.

Honestly...waiving Jarry to see if there are takers isn't the worst option. Go the AHL, play well, come back. I wouldn't hate it if he got hot in the AHL and propelled WBS to a championship. About time they had some success.

I see 2 games played and 3 assists. Not saying he's NHL ready but the to suggest he's struggling might be a bit of a reach.
Problem is that i dont want Jarry to steal games form Murashov in the AHL

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I have a bigger issue, it's only saving 1.150 on the cap to waive and send him down.
yeah. But we will actually save cap space if we send Jarry down and go with Ned/Blomqvist as the tandem. Since Blomqvist only makes 886k he wont even take up the full 1.150 we can bury of Jarrys cap

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Jarry has value for the right team that has a proper defensive structure, like Carolina for example. We just need a goalie that can change the tide of the game, and that's not Jarry.

Point is he should be tradeable, unless he really is cooked at this point, but I would be surprised if he is.

I'm also fine with running a 3 goalie tandem as long as we realize that they get work based on performance not on salary. If Jarry sits in the pressbox, so be it. I don't think Dubas will do a cap dump trade, and he shouldn't, cuz we don't need it.

I could see him taking on someone else cap dump + draft picks for Jarry. Somewhat of a win win.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
yeah. But we will actually save cap space if we send Jarry down and go with Ned/Blomqvist as the tandem. Since Blomqvist only makes 886k he wont even take up the full 1.150 we can bury of Jarrys cap
True.
If there are no trade options (haha) I just hope they waive Jarry and he refuses to report to WBS. The contract can then be terminated, I believe.
So instead of actually fixing the problem, just ignore it and keep going as if nothing is wrong.

It's only a number of games until they are right back where they started from.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
True.

So instead of actually fixing the problem, just ignore it and keep going as if nothing is wrong.

It's only a number of games until they are right back where they started from.

Yeah... well... one problem at a time.

Jarry, first. Ignoring the problem would be allowing Jarry to continue getting games.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So are you going to repeat this with each goalie who fails this team? Gives up 3+goals a game?

Because they are already there.

You're acting like Tristan Jarry is some fresh-faced second year guy that just hasn't gotten a fair shake.

There is a very distinct pattern going back many years, now. How in the world anyone could possibly justify handing the net back to this guy for like the half dozenth time just to watch him faceplant is completely beyond me. We're at the point now where it isn't even fair to him FFS.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I have a bigger issue, it's only saving 1.150 on the cap to waive and send him down.
Yeah but then it opens the door to Neds-Blom which is better overall for the team. That savings overs Blomqvist's hit so we aren't any worse off cap wise but we put a better product on ice.
If there are no trade options (haha) I just hope they waive Jarry and he refuses to report to WBS. The contract can then be terminated, I believe.
I don't think he's at that point yet. But him and his agent might start running numbers on "contract termination vs buyout + new deal".

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Just realized Hayes has a year after this one. Couldn’t even get more than a 2nd for taking that on?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Just realized Hayes has a year after this one. Couldn’t even get more than a 2nd for taking that on?

I actually haven't hated Hayes at all this year so far. He's as slow as frozen molasses but is sneaky-good down low in the OZ. Almost put up a beauty of an assist last night if the shooter (forget who... Bunting?) wasn't robbed.

But yeah... he's making like... 2ish million too much for sure.

Reactions: Pancakes

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Honestly Hayes has been effective enough that I'm happy to get the 2nd to take him on.

If he can put up 10-15 goals on the 4th line this year and next year, that's well worth it for only a 2nd to eat his ugly deal. He makes about the same as Carter while he looks significantly less cooked than Carter did in his last 2 years here.

He's also somehow at 76% on faceoffs this year as well. Really helps out the PK when Hayes is winning 3 of 4 faceoffs per game on the PK.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Honestly Hayes has been effective enough that I'm happy to get the 2nd to take him on.

If he can put up 10-15 goals on the 4th line this year and next year, that's well worth it for only a 2nd to eat his ugly deal. He makes about the same as Carter while he looks significantly less cooked than Carter did in his last 2 years here.

He's also somehow at 76% on faceoffs this year as well. Really helps out the PK when Hayes is winning 3 of 4 faceoffs per game on the PK.

Hayes is fine. Accari is fine.

I just wish we didn't have both. I wish there was more youth and speed. Accari is actually older than Hayes lol.

Glass - Hayes/Accari - Guy under 30 lol

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I actually haven't hated Hayes at all this year so far. He's as slow as frozen molasses but is sneaky-good down low in the OZ. Almost put up a beauty of an assist last night if the shooter (forget who... Bunting?) wasn't robbed.

But yeah... he's making like... 2ish million too much for sure.
He's been great. He's scoring goals which our bottom six never did the past couple of seasons and he also has good puck poise to where he's not a giveaway machine and with his size in the o-zone he's good at holding onto pucks and wearing teams down.

It's not like our bottom six has been all that great at defending the past couple of years anyways so might as well put a guy like Hayes in there who probably won't defend any worse than the Jeff Carters of the world but will actually score a little more.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hayes is fine. Accari is fine.

I just wish we didn't have both. I wish there was more youth and speed. Accari is actually older than Hayes lol.

Glass - Hayes/Accari - Guy under 30 lol

That's the role I feel like Lizotte fills, Lizotte himself is only 26. I figure Lizotte bumps Glass out of the lineup and they run with Hayes-Lizotte-Acciari, although I've been vocal about wanting to flip Hayes and Lizotte on that line.

He's been great. He's scoring goals which our bottom six never did the past couple of seasons and he also has good puck poise to where he's not a giveaway machine and with his size in the o-zone he's good at holding onto pucks and wearing teams down.

It's not like our bottom six has been all that great at defending the past couple of years anyways so might as well put a guy like Hayes in there who probably won't defend any worse than the Jeff Carters of the world but will actually score a little more.

Yeah you can very clearly see what made Hayes good, the dude just can't skate anymore. If he could still skate well I firmly believe he'd be at least a good 3C.

It's just nice that their bottom-6 is actually effective this year, unlike in the past few years. And they have depth to pull from with injuries, with Puustinen as a healthy scratch and McGroarty and Ponomarev in WBS.

Reactions: Pancakes

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
That's the role I feel like Lizotte fills, Lizotte himself is only 26. I figure Lizotte bumps Glass out of the lineup and they run with Hayes-Lizotte-Acciari, although I've been vocal about wanting to flip Hayes and Lizotte on that line.

Yeah you can very clearly see what made Hayes good, the dude just can't skate anymore. If he could still skate well I firmly believe he'd be at least a good 3C.

Glass shouldn't sit for Lizotte. I would rather it be Accari.

Lizotte - Hayes - Glass is what it should be

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Glass shouldn't sit for Lizotte. I would rather it be Accari.

Lizotte - Hayes - Glass is what it should be

Meh I think Acciari has been firmly better than Glass so far this year. Don't think I'd want to see him sat when he's finally playing well.

He made a hell of a nice play on that SH goal that O'Connor scored and has just looked really effective. This is the Acciari I thought the Penguins were getting. I also personally like Glass at C more than Glass at RW, so I'd rather Glass just be the injury sub for a center over playing him on RW.

If/when Crosby or Malkin miss a couple of games due to injury, I'd want to put Glass in the top-6 temporarily when they're out.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Meh I think Acciari has been firmly better than Glass so far this year. Don't think I'd want to see him sat when he's finally playing well.

I dont want to go back to a tiny 4th line. Glass is 8 years younger, like a foot taller and has been fine.

Also Glass is playing on his off wing.(Edit NVM I thought he was at center)

I would rather go with the guy who has some more upside and go back to acciari later if you have too.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

I think he’s played well but to allocate that much to a 4th liner for two years is rough.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Glass always looks right on the verge of doing something offensively but then it just doesn't seem to happen. I can't tell if there's untapped offense there or if that's just how it's going to be all season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think he’s played well but to allocate that much to a 4th liner for two years is rough.

I think I'd care about the cap implications a lot more if:

1. They didn't have Jeff Carter for the past 2 years.
2. If I thought this team was contending.

I'm not saying you're wrong for feeling that way, but it honestly doesn't bother me just like Graves on the 3rd pair doesn't bother me if he's playing well.

I dont want to go back to a tiny 4th line. Glass is 8 years younger, like a foot taller and has been fine.

Also Glass is playing on his off wing. Put him on the right side and see how he does.

I would rather go with the guy who has some more upside and go back to acciari later if you have too.

I edited this in, but I personally like Glass at C substantially more and would rather use him as purely a center. If/when Crosby and Malkin miss some games due to injuries, I'd want Glass promoted to a top-6 C spot.

I would be planning on using Puustinen and Glass similarly in that both are top-9 injury subs and the 4th line stays the 4th line.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The point that team defence issues tend to wear goalies down here is a good one imo. A good place to start with trying to fix is that to get back the 5m they gave to a guy they wore down, and use it to protect the guys they haven't turned into nervous wrecks.

I would also tentatively say I might actually like the bottom six this year. It's early days and the schedule has not been overly demanding, but it looks like there's some guys there who can actually get the puck low, keep it there, exhaust other teams, and create some goals all without being utterly liabilities defensively. I look forward to being proven wrong as the season progresses and they all apart and become a sieve, but right now it looks like there's no one I'm wishing to the shadow realm and that's nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad