Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I’m sorry, is there a different Mitch Marner? One that’s not 26 years old and capable of putting up 99 points in a season?

He would absolutely make us contenders again. Not that there is any chance of it.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Thinks "Karlsson for Marner" might be appealing.
I like Karlsson, but that would be interesting if Marner came with an extension.

I'd imagine they would want a replacement for Marner, though, as the Pens would want a replacement for Karlsson.

Karlsson+Rust/Rakell for Marner+McCabe? And yes, I know the cap doesn't work :laugh:

Reactions: Ugene Magic

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I’m sorry, is there a different Mitch Marner? One that’s not 26 years old and capable of putting up 99 points in a season?

He would absolutely make us contenders again. Not that there is any chance of it.
To be contenders again, they need to improve performance relative to cap hits throughout the roster.
So we gotta assess what Marner would give relative to what he'll be asking for on his next deal. Also gotta look at what would be subtracted to make room for Marner.
Then you can see how much progress is actually being made.

People talked about EK making us contenders last summer, but it only hurts you when you pay 10M (and 1.5M Petry retention) to get 6.5M or 7M value play.
Fortunately there were some net negative contracts going out the door in the EK trade, so it wasn't too bad.

But still, we saw the end result. That wasted cap space is why they missed the playoffs. Hextall deserves most of the blame for that.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Not the power play?
The PP is a big portion of that missing cap value. The Pens paid 11.5M for EK to be here and he gave them 17 PPP's in 82 games. He was supposed to fix the PP.
For comparison Letang gave them 21 in 64 games the year before. 4 more PPGs than Karlsson even. 6.1M cap hit.

Fortunately EK was way better at even-strength last year than Letang in 2022-23, and that helped equalize it somewhat. But it's not close to enough when you dish out that much.
They're still at a negative 4.5 or 5 million with him.
In his defense, how many D-men actually play at a 10M+ level consistently? It's just asking too much. He doesn't defend well enough for that.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
There's no way this team fires Sullivan before that stupid Nations faceoff bs in February, at best in this situation, he'd get canned after that even though we all hope for sooner, like end of October lol. I'd be fine seeing this team go 1-11 in October and then the team firing Sullivan.

Just need that 1 win to be vs Vancouver, so I don't have to hear smarmy dipshit Canucks fans being ignorant.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I will never get the hate for Bunting in the Guentzel trade, like ok Dubas has ties to him, but we're really mad at a career 50pt winger that can produce more, that's under 30 with a fantastic cap hit that is insanely Sullivan proof?

So many were mad at Dubas because Hyman was great at Rob Brown'ing it with McDavid, yet the player he got to replace Hyman - Bunting, was a far more productive Leaf than Hyman was, albeit it's Hyman's 6 seasons there vs Bunting's 2 (Bunting was a 0.70 ppg player there vs Hyman's 0.52 ppg).

I am pretty curious to see how Bunting does with Geno all season, I think he could crack 70pts if he stays healthy and remains with Geno all season. I mean I get it, I miss Jake on the Pens too, it was great while it lasted but for him to get his pay day, it was never going to work in the Penguins cap structure and especially not with the Graves contract lol. But even then, to have Jake get similar to what he got in Tampa, the Pens would need to go to 8yrs and a cap hit around 10-11m which I don't think FSG wanted Dubas to do at all.

But yeah, the part that pisses me off is if Sullivan had just played POJ and didn't f*** around with his development, we'd never need Graves, the whole signing of Graves has Sullivan's finger prints all over it for the types he likes. I guarantee that was Sullivan telling Dubas - we need a player like Graves.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I will never get the hate for Bunting in the Guentzel trade, like ok Dubas has ties to him, but we're really mad at a career 50pt winger that can produce more, that's under 30 with a fantastic cap hit that is insanely Sullivan proof?

So many were mad at Dubas because Hyman was great at Rob Brown'ing it with McDavid, yet the player he got to replace Hyman - Bunting, was a far more productive Leaf than Hyman was, albeit it's Hyman's 6 seasons there vs Bunting's 2 (Bunting was a 0.70 ppg player there vs Hyman's 0.52 ppg).

I am pretty curious to see how Bunting does with Geno all season, I think he could crack 70pts if he stays healthy and remains with Geno all season. I mean I get it, I miss Jake on the Pens too, it was great while it lasted but for him to get his pay day, it was never going to work in the Penguins cap structure and especially not with the Graves contract lol. But even then, to have Jake get similar to what he got in Tampa, the Pens would need to go to 8yrs and a cap hit around 10-11m which I don't think FSG wanted Dubas to do at all.

But yeah, the part that pisses me off is if Sullivan had just played POJ and didn't f*** around with his development, we'd never need Graves, the whole signing of Graves has Sullivan's finger prints all over it for the types he likes. I guarantee that was Sullivan telling Dubas - we need a player like Graves.

The issue is that Dubas diluted the trade return to get a roster player while selling it as a move for the future.

It’s the half ass approach.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Which is ironic because none of the problems with the PP are personnel related per se. It's coaching.

What coach is going to influence 18/19 year vets on how to PP? Part of the issue is they are stale old bread unable of change at this point. That single player, or two are the only change that operates in two positions and only one that can really change the PP's effectiveness. The net front really doesn't change a thing and leaves the LW boards as the only place where a real chance of change can come from.

The biggest issue is the PP QB is at the point in EK and the secondary QB is a 38 year old who rarely attacks the box. It's just simple back n forth to the top of the umbrella while he hugs the boards.

They are on an advantage and they rarely attack the box. Sid and the net front guy are rarely seeing the puck. It's an all around the perimeter PP that's slower than death where the other team can read all the tea leaves and come up with positioning, blocks and takeaways.

In short, they play old and slow. Too many generals and not enough soldiers to do the dirty work.

The rest of the league hopes they keep doing as is, they make it that much easier for them.

Reality is they need that QB from the LW wall again not afraid to attack the box.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
What coach is going to influence 18/19 year vets on how to PP? Part of the issue is they are stale old bread unable of change at this point. That single player, or two are the only change that operates in two positions and only one that can really change the PP's effectiveness. The net front really doesn't change a thing and leaves the LW boards as the only place where a real chance of change can come from.

The biggest issue is the PP QB is at the point in EK and the secondary QB is a 38 year old who rarely attacks the box. It's just simple back n forth to the top of the umbrella while he hugs the boards.

They are on an advantage and they rarely attack the box. Sid and the net front guy are rarely seeing the puck. It's an all around the perimeter PP that's slower than death where the other team can read all the tea leaves and come up with positioning, blocks and takeaways.

In short, they play old and slow. Too many generals and not enough soldiers to do the dirty work.

The rest of the league hopes they keep doing as is, they make it that much easier for them.

Reality is they need that QB from the LW wall again not afraid to attack the box.
I forget who brought it up, but the suggestion was to use both Karlsson and Letang on the top unit. Put Karlsson in Kessel's old spot. Make the PK choose if they want to overcrowd Crosby/Malkin/Letang on the RW and leave Karlsson with a lot of open space or play it more straight up and give Malkin and Crosby a chance.

I agree, though, either way, they need to penetrate the box more. That's why it should be Bunting, not Rust or Rakell. I think there was a noticeable improvement when Bunting came in last year. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I always kinda thought Karlsson was brought in for ES production/transition stuff, not the power play. That's where he should excel, if not for Sullivan/Reirden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad