Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I’m sorry, is there a different Mitch Marner? One that’s not 26 years old and capable of putting up 99 points in a season?

He would absolutely make us contenders again. Not that there is any chance of it.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Thinks "Karlsson for Marner" might be appealing.
I like Karlsson, but that would be interesting if Marner came with an extension.

I'd imagine they would want a replacement for Marner, though, as the Pens would want a replacement for Karlsson.

Karlsson+Rust/Rakell for Marner+McCabe? And yes, I know the cap doesn't work :laugh:

Reactions: Ugene Magic

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I’m sorry, is there a different Mitch Marner? One that’s not 26 years old and capable of putting up 99 points in a season?

He would absolutely make us contenders again. Not that there is any chance of it.
To be contenders again, they need to improve performance relative to cap hits throughout the roster.
So we gotta assess what Marner would give relative to what he'll be asking for on his next deal. Also gotta look at what would be subtracted to make room for Marner.
Then you can see how much progress is actually being made.

People talked about EK making us contenders last summer, but it only hurts you when you pay 10M (and 1.5M Petry retention) to get 6.5M or 7M value play.
Fortunately there were some net negative contracts going out the door in the EK trade, so it wasn't too bad.

But still, we saw the end result. That wasted cap space is why they missed the playoffs. Hextall deserves most of the blame for that.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Not the power play?
The PP is a big portion of that missing cap value. The Pens paid 11.5M for EK to be here and he gave them 17 PPP's in 82 games. He was supposed to fix the PP.
For comparison Letang gave them 21 in 64 games the year before. 4 more PPGs than Karlsson even. 6.1M cap hit.

Fortunately EK was way better at even-strength last year than Letang in 2022-23, and that helped equalize it somewhat. But it's not close to enough when you dish out that much.
They're still at a negative 4.5 or 5 million with him.
In his defense, how many D-men actually play at a 10M+ level consistently? It's just asking too much. He doesn't defend well enough for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad