Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
As a card-carrying hater of the Guentzel trade, I'm sure Bunting will find his game shortly. It'd be nice, and make sense, if he got some PP1 reps again.

Yeah I'm not as frustrated with him as others since I don't buy this idea that Bunting is a real top six wing and more of a sidecar guy so this is just what you're gonna see out of a player like that. But that LINE is good so whatever... give it some time. And in the meanwhile I would take your suggestion and flip him and Rust on the top unit at least until Rust can sort himself out a bit. And lets face it he's hardly a powerplay wizard at his best.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah I'm not as frustrated with him as others since I don't buy this idea that Bunting is a real top six wing and more of a sidecar guy so this is just what you're gonna see out of a player like that. But that LINE is good so whatever... give it some time. And in the meanwhile I would take your suggestion and flip him and Rust on the top unit at least until Rust can sort himself out a bit. And lets face it he's hardly a powerplay wizard at his best.
Seriously. Rust is coming back from injury and obviously having trouble getting back to game speed - why overload him with extra minutes where he doesn't have a well defined role?

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Someone proposed a trade that makes alot of sense yesterday.

Jarry + Acciari for Georgiev + futures. Avs desperately need a goalie and a 4C
It would suck to lose Acciari as he is also signed for next season, but we can always replace him within.
The fact that Georgiev is a UFA to be is really really enticing. That would be a solid move to free up that cap space going forward

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Exactly. L2 is working. Don't mess with it. I don't care if it's working because Bunting is chasing down pucks and causing havoc or if it's because he's in a corner staying out of Malkin's way.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Exactly. L2 is working. Don't mess with it. I don't care if it's working because Bunting is chasing down pucks and causing havoc or if it's because he's in a corner staying out of Malkin's way.

Ironically Bunting is playing the role Rakell did at times on L2 last year... as a facilitator. The points might not be there as often as we like but I see some things out there that Bunting is doing that are making a difference. His work along the wall last night ended up being the difference in getting Malkin the puck to set up Raks, for instance. That's not nothing.

Bunting is a third wheel kind of player. People just have to look at him that way and adjust expectations.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Bunting's been hot coiled dogshit through four games, but the only thing he really even has in his toolkit is being a nuisance around the net so it still surprises me that they refuse to play him as the net-front guy on the PP.

Well, it doesn't surprise me that much cuz it's this team. But y'know. :laugh:
This team doesn't create its lines based on logic or common sense. It's all about seniority and loyalty.

Rust shouldn't be on the top unit, even when healthy. His best attributes are more suited to even strength transition offense, not stationary PP setups.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This team doesn't create its lines based on logic or common sense. It's all about seniority and loyalty.

Rust shouldn't be on the top unit, even when healthy. His best attributes are more suited to even strength transition offense, not stationary PP setups.

We're talking about a team that stuck it's best natural powerplay guy on the second unit for a third of last season for... reasons.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We're talking about a team that stuck it's best natural powerplay guy on the second unit for a third of last season for... reasons.
I still can't get over the fact this team doesn't really utilize the bumper spot as a regular focus of any PP scheme. Literally every good PP uses that play effectively, and our coaching staff is like, "nah, we'll just pass around the umbrella for 2 minutes".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad