Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd be willing to wager a couple dollars that FSG gave Dubas a mandate to keep Crosby at all costs. Part of that is being at least somewhat competitive. Sure Dubas could've went scorched Earth and sold Jake purely for futures. He coulda retained on and sold off EK. He could've sold off MP and even gotten something for Malkin. But at that point, even Sid would've probably been hesitant to come back.
Dubas had to find a happy medium and ease into it. And his familiarity with Bunting absolutely played a role.
As others have pointed out, Bunting can be moved down the line for more futures. In the meantime, he can help keep the minimal odds of playoff revenue from completely drowning.

I would have rather incorporated more "future assets" that you can then package into a player.

Similar to the 1st we took Yager with. It's now McG, but not a single 1st was moved that draft. We probably could've gotten a really good impact player if Dubas would've been thinking about things creatively.

Reactions: Ulf5

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
People don’t watch Marner. Doesn’t hit but he plays hard and PKs and is honestly a very complete player. He doesn’t need insulating like Kessel.

Had some rough appearances early on in his career but he was fine last year in the playoffs too, Leafs fans are just absolute psychos.
Anyone who thinks Marner is lazy or floats has no clue about his game. He's a bit of a waterbug out there, constantly moving, constantly trying to strip the opposition of the puck.

Is he "soft" in the same way a guy like Patrick Kane would rather roll off a hit than absorb the hit? Sure. Just like 99.9% of skill players who are on the smaller side. But he engages, his motor is constantly running.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I'm not going to disagree there about Marner except that come playoff time, he does 100% need to learn how to turn up the intensity a bit. I'm going to disagree a but about Kessel needing to be insulated. I don't think that was ever the case but I would suggest that you stick him on a line that provides balance - such as HBK or you put him on a line with overwhelming offensive firepower like Guentzel-Malkin-Kessel. I think that same thing would apply to Marner quite easily.
Sorry - wasn’t clear.

Prime Phil was underrated. Really good player, esp in Toronto. Could drive a line offensively from a wing.

By the end here, he def needed right linemates to maximize his effectiveness at ES.

Just saying Marner is type where you are gonna be able to throw him anywhere and let him play. And is solid defensively.

Reactions: Sideline

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm not going to disagree there about Marner except that come playoff time, he does 100% need to learn how to turn up the intensity a bit. I'm going to disagree a but about Kessel needing to be insulated. I don't think that was ever the case but I would suggest that you stick him on a line that provides balance - such as HBK or you put him on a line with overwhelming offensive firepower like Guentzel-Malkin-Kessel. I think that same thing would apply to Marner quite easily.
The main reason his production in the playoffs is a bit lacking is because he tries to score the same way as in the regular season.
There's less time and space in the playoffs. You can't score from the perimeter as easily.
He needs a style change, and to get to the inside. Has to risk getting decked more.

Overall though we're talking about one of the most complete Forwards in the NHL.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
The main reason his production in the playoffs is a bit lacking is because he tries to score the same way as in the regular season.
There's less time and space in the playoffs. You can't score from the perimeter as easily.
He needs a style change, and to get to the inside. Has to risk getting decked more.

Overall though we're talking about one of the most complete Forwards in the NHL.
I think Sid probably generates a certain amount awe from players Marner's age. I would be shocked if it took more than one comment from Sid to get Marner to realize he needs to player a different way. Marner is so good he's obviously an insanely hard worker. I can't see him ignoring advice from one of the greatest of all time.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I always kinda thought Karlsson was brought in for ES production/transition stuff, not the power play. That's where he should excel, if not for Sullivan/Reirden.
That is where EK has excelled his entire career. ES points. So when he was getting mocked for his lack of pp points, they were about as dumb as Sullivan not understanding who he has and how to use them.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
That is where EK has excelled his entire career. ES points. So when he was getting mocked for his lack of pp points, they were about as dumb as Sullivan not understanding who he has and how to use them.

EK with anyone remotely in front of the net would have been fine. Our team just flat out sucked last year all around. Blaming it on the powerplay is short-sighted. Mathematically it might have been the difference in the playoffs - but our team was utter crap most nights. Bunch of old men standing around the 3-point line in pickup basketball at the Y. No jam, no hits, no pulse. Easily one of the most difficult teams to get up for in recent years (I think topped only by Petry/Kappy era and Mike Johnston's teams)

Still firmly believe this team needs extreme help in the top 6 - but by the sounds of it, we're throwing the towel in this year (possibly next) to ....compete again when Sid's 39 or 40?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad