Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Just for the love of god shop Petts and be prepared to ask Rust to waive at the deadline, man. That's like two more 1sts and/or picks imo for guys who don't matter anymore.

There’s almost zero chance Rust will waive. Young family whose wife is from the area and he gets to play with Sidney Crosby.

They can move him July 1st 2025 though when his NMC ends

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
When is the last time the Pens had all their picks over the next 3 years? Like, 9 years ago? Theyre missing a 6th in 2026, but have an extra third that year but aside from that they have their full stock of picks.
They are also missing their 2nd next year, from the Karlsson trade, sending Petry back to the Habs, but hopefully the Stl pick is better anyway.

Reactions: Kruzer31

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
On a quick glance, the Crosby draft, I think.

In 2012 they had everything (plus another first, third and fourth) except the 7th.

Boy... THAT was a fulfilling draft, too.
Thank God for the back to backs or else we're still pissed about 2012 a dozen years later.

They are also missing their 2nd next year, from the Karlsson trade sending Petry back to the Habs, but hopefully the Stl pick is better anyway.
Sorry I meant in the sense that St. Louis pick fills that gap, so basically the next 3 years the Pens are completely stocked except for that 6th.

Reactions: LiffLaff

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
There’s almost zero chance Rust will waive. Young family whose wife is from the area and he gets to play with Sidney Crosby.

Thought he had another year of NTC. Yeah, I mean, if there's interest next March, doesn't hurt to ask him to waive. But he should absolutely be gone by next summer.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Thank God for the back to backs or else we're still pissed about 2012 a dozen years later.

I mean I'm still a LITTLE irritated about it lol. The best pick they've had in literally the last like 20 years and they try to go cute with it. Reloading in that draft in the middle of Sid/G's prime would have been such a clutch move and they fumbled the ball unforced.

At least they got Dumo for years. And Maatta was OK I guess. Oh and Murray did JUST enough to matter.

Honestly the 2012 draft quality wasn't super great looking back so hey.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

I keep seeing people saying she's from the area. But any info I can find says she was born in Sault Ste. Marie, graduated University of Ottawa and currently splits time b/t Ottawa and Pittsburgh.
Not that I doubt you. The interwebz is a tangled cluster of misinformation.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Idk all I know is that Rust's has inlaws that live in Winnipeg for some reason, so I doubt she's from Pittsburgh.

But either way, he's not getting traded. He actually played pretty well last season anyway.

Reactions: Factorial

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Them not moving Rust has nothing to do with his wife or him loving it here or whatever. The team thinks that guy shits gold bricks. He's here the whole deal unless he demands out.

Idk all I know is that Rust's has inlaws that live in Winnipeg for some reason, so I doubt she's from Pittsburgh.

But either way, he's not getting traded. He actually played pretty well last season anyway.

I think the team is way over the top about what a hero he is but yeah he was way better last season than the year before.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I mean I'm still a LITTLE irritated about it lol. The best pick they've had in literally the last like 20 years and they try to go cute with it. Reloading in that draft in the middle of Sid/G's prime would have been such a clutch move and they fumbled the ball unforced.

At least they got Dumo for years. And Maatta was OK I guess. Oh and Murray did JUST enough to matter.

Honestly the 2012 draft quality wasn't super great looking back so hey.
If they take Forsberg they don't trade for Kessel, so I'm good with it. That's a big thing to change that would have more than likely derailed what ended up happening. But it was absolutely a fumble by Shero. Awful pick.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm think some Penguins fans have a really warped view of what a "rebuild" looks like for actual NHL teams, just because the Penguins haven't done one in so long. The Penguins rebuild that made them the team they've been with Crosby/Malkin wasn't done overnight, and the moves made pre-dating the Crosby and Malkin picks were absolutely essential in the team turning into the dynasty it was.

Just pulling up the Penguins trade history starting with the Jagr trade, here's when some of the more rebuilding trades went down with more "major" Penguins players of that era:

-July 2001: Jagr trade
-March 2002: Kasparaitis trade
-February 2003: Ference trade
-February 2003: Kovalev trade
-March 2003: Hrdina trade
-August 2003: Hedberg trade
-November 2003: Straka trade

It wasn't anything immediate, and it didn't really fully ramp up until the 2002-2003 season (that 2003 deadline was wild with trades from the Penguins). But it took all of those moves plus the picks/prospects used in those drafts PLUS the Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Staal additions for this team to take hte next step.

The Penguins are at the "Jagr trade" portion of this rebuild, and you'll likely see gradually more and more trades as more time goes along. I think the real "blow-up" is in the 2026 or 2027 off-season, where you'll see Karlsson, Rust (if he has any value at that point) and Letang (if he wants to leave) as trade bait. In the short term, you'll likely see guys like Smith, Eller and Pettersson (if they don't re-sign him) traded out at the deadline this year as they gradually load up on more picks and stock up the foundation of the prospect pool.

Them not moving Rust has nothing to do with his wife or him loving it here or whatever. The team thinks that guy shits gold bricks. He's here the whole deal unless he demands out.

I think the team is way over the top about what a hero he is but yeah he was way better last season than the year before.

I think they specifically structured his deal for him to be traded at the end of it.

He has no trade protection starting in the 2025-2026 season. It's not just a limited NTC, he goes from a full NMC in 2024-2025 to nothing in 2025-2026.

Reactions: Hell Yeah!!!

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
My hope is they can move jarry to det, I'd be happy with say berggen and a mid round pick. Sign samsonov to go 50/50 with ned next year.

Move smith for a 3rd.

Move graves to Utah for future considerations for all I care. They have 3/4th of a top 4 and cap space. Would they want to reunite Marino and graves for their second pairing?

Apparently tanev was signed for 6x6? That can't be right.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If it’s a productive season for Rust, he’s injured…if it’s not a productive season for Rust, he’s played all 82 games lol

Last edited:

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
View attachment 889581

The fallen angel, reborn.
This actually hurts me.

I was a huge fan of his old man, so much so I actually celebrated when the Pens signed him (mostly because he was a Pens killer). I was even happier he won a Cup, and won it with the Pens.

Ironically, I found an autographed picture of him today at a random thrift store down here in Myrtle, which, of course, I bought.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
This actually hurts me.

I was a huge fan of his old man, so much so I actually celebrated when the Pens signed him (mostly because he was a Pens killer). I was even happier he won a Cup, and won it with the Pens.

Ironically, I found an autographed picture of him today at a random thrift store down here in Myrtle, which, of course, I bought.
You have proven yourself the biggest MS fan of us all.

• Haha
Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm think some Penguins fans have a really warped view of what a "rebuild" looks like for actual NHL teams, just because the Penguins haven't done one in so long. The Penguins rebuild that made them the team they've been with Crosby/Malkin wasn't done overnight, and the moves made pre-dating the Crosby and Malkin picks were absolutely essential in the team turning into the dynasty it was.

Just pulling up the Penguins trade history starting with the Jagr trade, here's when some of the more rebuilding trades went down with more "major" Penguins players of that era:

-July 2001: Jagr trade
-March 2002: Kasparaitis trade
-February 2003: Ference trade
-February 2003: Kovalev trade
-March 2003: Hrdina trade
-August 2003: Hedberg trade
-November 2003: Straka trade

It wasn't anything immediate, and it didn't really fully ramp up until the 2002-2003 season (that 2003 deadline was wild with trades from the Penguins). But it took all of those moves plus the picks/prospects used in those drafts PLUS the Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Staal additions for this team to take hte next step.

The Penguins are at the "Jagr trade" portion of this rebuild, and you'll likely see gradually more and more trades as more time goes along. I think the real "blow-up" is in the 2026 or 2027 off-season, where you'll see Karlsson, Rust (if he has any value at that point) and Letang (if he wants to leave) as trade bait. In the short term, you'll likely see guys like Smith, Eller and Pettersson (if they don't re-sign him) traded out at the deadline this year as they gradually load up on more picks and stock up the foundation of the prospect pool.

I think they specifically structured his deal for him to be traded at the end of it.

He has no trade protection starting in the 2025-2026 season. It's not just a limited NTC, he goes from a full NMC in 2024-2025 to nothing in 2025-2026.

Penguins didn't "rebuild" in 2001.

They had to sell off players to cover the bills.

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Ngl Jake is officially dead to me.
If this is serious, then I don't get it. He was a very good Penguin for years. Never any word of him being a locker room problem or and off ice concern. He was great value for money while under contract with the Penguins. He's a UFA that decided what he wanted for himself and his family.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
If this is serious, then I don't get it. He was a very good Penguin for years. Never any word of him being a locker room problem or and off ice concern. He was great value for money while under contract with the Penguins. He's a UFA that decided what he wanted for himself and his family.
I don’t mean as a human being, I mean as a hockey playing entity.

Reactions: BusinessGoose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad