Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I would take mikheyev for a 2025 2nd and 5th. No lafferty. As long as I know I can trade Smith

You can take Mikheyev, hope he improves and then flip Smith at the deadline this year with retention.

Then you could have done the same with Mikheyev next year.

I’m really curious to see what Dubas actually does this summer, because similar to last off season it seems like he’s either just not actively interested in buy low / sell high pieces or acquiring youth.

Also, like last season he’s overplayed his hand if he is realistically trying to love Jarry.

Building this team through the draft is just such a weird concept with how spent this group is.

We mock Hextall endlessly, but I see absolutely no evidence of Dubas having any type of plan here.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I mean, there were a lot of guys who many on this board wanted (Darche, Tulsky for example) were finalists for the GM job here.
I wanted Tulsky because he's intelligent enough to put emotions aside and make decisions based on logic. He's cold, calculating.
He would know that we need a rebuild in order to win a Cup again some day. He would push for it from ownership, properly identifying a lost cause.

Dubas right now is deceiving himself, thinking he can bring us back to contention through a re-tool, with this shallow asset pool as a starting point. He thinks he's special and can beat the system.
He won't. I'm disappointed in his naivete.

The hope is that we get crushed the next year or two, reality hits him and ownership like a cold shower, and we begin to do what San Jose just did.
The worst thing that can happen is we get 8th or 9th place, flame out quickly and they run it back on repeat like this.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Capfriendly round two

Smith to Utah for a 3rd

4th and Acciari for Mangiapani

Jarry to Detroit for Husso and a 2nd

Sign Stamkos for 8.9 mill

Stamkos-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Mangiapani
O'Connor-Ponomarev-Rakell
Poulin-Eller-Puustinen

PP = fixed
Goaltending = oof

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Mikheyev is a fine contract if he finds his game again. Little overpaid, but someone who fits the role of what you can flip next year.

Walman was a great contract.
Clearly NHL teams didn't think so, since San Jose got him for less than free.

Mikheyev has knee issues.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I want the Penguins to be taking on worse deals to be getting assets, but that is in the context of "trade Rakell for a bad deal and futures" or "trade Jarry for a bad deal and futures". It's both getting out of the Penguins mildly bad deals while taking on other team's very bad deals.

Just taking on other team's very bad deals just for the pick isn't appealing whatsoever.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I want the Penguins to be taking on worse deals to be getting assets, but that is in the context of "trade Rakell for a bad deal and futures" or "trade Jarry for a bad deal and futures". It's both getting out of the Penguins mildly bad deals while taking on other team's very bad deals.

Just taking on other team's very bad deals just for the pick isn't appealing whatsoever.

It’s weird how you’ll talk up players after we acquire them when they have JFresh charts and analytic profiles like Mikheyev has, but it’s a very bad deal now that it’s going to Chicago.

I’d much rather we are acquiring 2 years of Mikheyev for a 2nd then doing anything in FA.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I wanted Tulsky because he's intelligent enough to put emotions aside and make decisions based on logic. He's cold, calculating.
He would know that we need a rebuild in order to win a Cup again some day. He would push for it from ownership, properly identifying a lost cause.

Dubas right now is deceiving himself, thinking he can bring us back to contention through a re-tool, with this shallow asset pool as a starting point. He thinks he's special and can beat the system.
He won't. I'm disappointed in his naivete.

The hope is that we get crushed the next year or two, reality hits him and ownership like a cold shower, and we begin to do what San Jose just did.
The worst thing that can happen is we get 8th or 9th place, flame out quickly and they run it back on repeat like this.
You have no way of knowing how Tulsky actually operates.

Just because he has a background in science and analytics does not mean he operates in a cold, clinical fashion. That is pure conjecture on your part.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
You have no way of knowing how Tulsky actually operates.

Just because he has a background in science and analytics does not mean he operates in a cold, clinical fashion. That is pure conjecture on your part.
Also pure conjecture that stripping it down and selling off franchise legends is at all on the table from ownership regardless of who is GM

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Sleepy Kyle Dubas
1719452858638.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad