Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
It’d be funny if Detroit buys out Petry.
He's a 2.3m cap hit for 1 more year and is a rhd that they need. I wonder if maybe they dump Fabbri instead.

They currently have 32m in cap space.

Need to sign Raymond, Seider, and Veleno for RFA's and only 2 of those will be a decent chunk. Still enough to add Stamkos and some cheaper free agents or push up some over aged prospects over ripened like how Detroit likes it.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Such as? ZAR sucked after leaving the Penguins. McGinn sucked after leaving the Penguins. Kapanen sucked after leaving the Penguins. Sheahan sucked after leaving the Penguins.

The Penguins absolutely undervalued good players and let them go improperly, all of McCann, ERod and Gaudreau fall in that. But none of those guys "sucked donkey dong" for the Penguins. For the guys who have actually been terrible for the Penguins, they've pretty much exclusively been terrible after leaving the Penguins too.
You need to do a better dive into who left and their usage and production differences.

Kapanen was basically destroyed by Sullivan to the point Jeff Carter was mentoring him to help him. Kapanen was a master class of getting a player and doing zero research on the type of pkayer he was and his usage. But the hate he has here is ridiculous to have a rational conversation about.

Sullivan poorly handled Sprong. Then Lafferty was another one, completely lost the plot on what Tanner Pearson and Jamie Oleksiak were. McCann was growing as a 3c and Sullivan jerked him around so much that he destroyed any momentum he built up and then pulled a disappearing act in the playoffs. He then did the same to Rodriguez. Heinen also got that treatment and I didn't really like him. But he was LW,RW for lines 1-4 and didn't get comfortable long enough for be much other than hot streaks that propped up his overall stat for the stat watchers.

Sullivan also didn't really understand what John Marino was and his usage of him showed. Same for Matheson. He has this need to put them in roles he feels they need to work in vs realizing what made them successful players before coming over and leaning into that and enhancing it and not destroying it. Currently his idiotic usage of Puustinen was glaring but blokes here lately have this weird hard on for hating players and taking it super personal when we f***ing have 8 seasons worth of Sullivan doing this shit and blokes still argue defending Sullivan's usage.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Marino, ERod, McCann, Matheson, Pearson and Oleksiak were never trash here. Sprong was traded before he was even given the chance to be trash here. I also don't think Heinen stunk here, but I'd allow him to be included based on Sullivan seemingly really disliking him.

Heinen and Lafferty actually fit the question of "guys who stunk here but had success elsewhere", but none of those other guys fit that description whatsoever. Hell, Jack Johnson fits the description of "guys who stunk here but had success elsewhere" far more than most of those players mentioned.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I still think it's funny that Dubas tried to get Pridham to come over as the GM but he decided not to and to stay in Toronto as the Assistant GM. A job that most in his career path aspire to, he said no to and apparently they are close. So I wonder if the GM role for the Penguins is just a super tainted role that other candidates know given how JR left and Hextall and then the power Sullivan has that has been reported as being known league wide by team execs.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
That Zadorov deal is going to be terrible from the second it is signed.

He's a fringe #4/5 that's going to get $6 million a year because NHL GMs are morons.
He's a number 4 but hes a bit of a unicorn at the same time. I get why he's coveted, I wouldn't give him 6 though.

Jdodd

Jun 24, 2017
would you all do that deal for the Pens? As far a mikheyev for Vancouver 2025 2nd rounder? Instead of lafferty throw in another prospect or 5th rounder.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
would you all do that deal for the Pens? As far a mikheyev for Vancouver 2025 2nd rounder? Instead of lafferty throw in another prospect or 5th rounder.
It would probably take a 1st+ instead of a 2nd. Chicago doesn't need scoring and balanced cap sheet as much as they need NHL bodies.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Kinda weird that they included Lafferty since teams are just tampering anyway. They gonna offer him an 8 year deal?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Mikheyev scored 34 goals in 99 games in 2021-22 and 22-23. But his shooting percentage was 14.3 percent both years. He came crashing down to 7.5 percent, which is probably closer to his realistic shooting percentage.

For someone his age and at that cap price, he wouldn't be on my list to acquire. Chicago can have him.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Dubas “we are going to acquire picks, young players and prospects”.

Two players you could position as “win now “ moved with 2nds attached and we are nowhere to be found.

Can not wait to see why Kindergarten Kyle comes up with this offseason….
If you got anything out of Dubas that suggested to you the Pens were going to take on bad contracts for picks that's on you and you alone.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Dubas “we are going to acquire picks, young players and prospects”.

Two players you could position as “win now “ moved with 2nds attached and we are nowhere to be found.

Can not wait to see why Kindergarten Kyle comes up with this offseason….

If Mikheyev and Wallman were "win now" players, they wouldn't be getting traded to Chicago and San Jose.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
2022-23 Petry: 1.11 5v5 P/P60
2023-24 Karlsson: 1.13

Letang this year was a 1.40. He actually did super well to get 51 points in a PP2 role. Only 5 points back of EK with 120 mins less of Power play, and playing with worse players on that unit.
We can talk about his speed and defensive game declining a bit, but the offense is very much still there. Pretty impressive at 36.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
I still think it's funny that Dubas tried to get Pridham to come over as the GM but he decided not to and to stay in Toronto as the Assistant GM. A job that most in his career path aspire to, he said no to and apparently they are close. So I wonder if the GM role for the Penguins is just a super tainted role that other candidates know given how JR left and Hextall and then the power Sullivan has that has been reported as being known league wide by team execs.
I mean, there were a lot of guys who many on this board wanted (Darche, Tulsky for example) were finalists for the GM job here. There wasn’t any stories of candidates dropping out or saying they weren’t interested.

Our perception of Sullivan is way different than the outside hockey world, everyone outside of the org think he’s wonderful. Listen to the way national broadcasts talk about him. I highly doubt any potential GM sees this org as ‘tainted’ because of Sullivan.

Reactions: Factorial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad