Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Anyone who says Jarry has negative value is delusional. I don’t like the guy and it would be great to get rid of him, but he’s not negative value.

At the same time, he’s not returning a guy like Pinto even if we take another bad contract back.
Yeah no chance Jarry is negative value in this paper-thin goalie market. The top UFA goalie is 37 y/o Talbot.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jarry tried to sign his contract last year and teams took Korpisalo and Talbot over giving him the contract he has now.

Since then he put up a piss poor year and lost his job to Ned.

If Jarry had a "piss poor year", I'd love to hear how you'd describe the year Korpisalo just had.

Joshua is not a bargain bin option. He might have been before the playoffs, but not now.

Plus, Toronto is involved so the price automatically goes up.

I don't know why you'd get into a bidding war for Joshua over just trading minimal assets for Joseph. The two basically fill the same role while Joseph has 2 years at $2.95 million left.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Would you guys do Jarry and a pick for Korpisalo and Chychrun?

Pens then boy out Korpisalo and gain around 500k in cap with the penalty and Chychrun´s cap.

Chychrun can be dealt in a few years when the real rebuild starts.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
I don't know why Ottawa wouldn't just buy Korpisalo out themselves at that point.
Well, obviously they're coming in their prime so every dollar available counts for them.

Buying out Korpisalo, bringing in Jarry for Chychrun is a plus of 2.1 in cap.

Trading Korpisalo and Chychrun for Jarry saves them around 3.3

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Pens then boy out Korpisalo and gain around 500k in cap with the penalty and Chychrun´s cap.

We're not giving picks from here on in period!

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Which also makes the current bad contracts more palatable moving forward, no?

You’re always going to have a few teams in full tank mode like SJ is now willing to reach the floor by taking on bad contracts so they can keep sucking. In fact, we’ll be there soon enough.
I am saying bad deals will continue to be signed and teams will stay near the cap and will need to pay assets to get rid or them.

We start high we don't start mid and go low for the return. Start high in negotiations.

Anyone who says Jarry has negative value is delusional. I don’t like the guy and it would be great to get rid of him, but he’s not negative value.

At the same time, he’s not returning a guy like Pinto even if we take another bad contract back.
i agree with this he has value.

Markstrom got a young D + a 1st. Markstrom is definitely better.

rumors of Ulmarks return is quite high. Jarry will be lower than both but will get something

Yes. I think that is even better than my Pinto suggestion.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Man for Chychrun whatever pick we give away we probably could get more. Or I'd rather just sign him long term.
We're in a rebuild whether some here accept this or not. Chychrun doesn't really move the needle. We should be selling guys off, but if not don't trade young guys, prospects or picks. Smith, RR even EK if someone wanted him with a bit of retention to stockpile picks, young players or prospects is the way to go. OUR new window for vying for a playoff spot starts in 3-4 years.

We'll add a quality player via free agency, but the main focus is to build for the future. As it should be.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
We're in a rebuild whether some here accept this or not. Chychrun doesn't really move the needle. We should be selling guys off, but if not don't trade young guys, prospects or picks. Smith, RR even EK if someone wanted him with a bit of retention to stockpile picks, young players or prospects is the way to go. OUR new window for vying for a playoff spot starts in 3-4 years.

We'll add a quality player via free agency, but the main focus is to build for the future. As it should be.

They’re going to push for the playoffs this season. There’s no full rebuild while Crosby is in this kind of form.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
They’re going to push for the playoffs this season. There’s no full rebuild while Crosby is in this kind of form.
They're not gonna say that, sure. But watch their actions. They're focusing on adding picks and prospects. You don't do that if you're trying to be a bonified contender.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
They're not gonna say that, sure. But watch their actions. They're focusing on adding picks and prospects. You don't do that if you're trying to be a bonified contender.

If it’s a full rebuild then they’re trading Rakell, Smith, Bunting, Pettersson and asking Rust/Karlsson to waive their NMC. I don’t see it.

You can keep an eye on the future while still trying to be competitive. The full rebuild will be in 2-3 years unless they nail the draft/trades/FA in the meantime (not likely).

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
If Ottawa wanted Jarry (big if), I would be okay with a Jarry & for Joseph swap. I don't think you get much more. I'd like to include Acciari in the deal for middling prospect just to clear a bottom 6 spot for Joseph without having to do a separate deal.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If it’s a full rebuild then they’re trading Rakell, Smith, Bunting, Pettersson and asking Rust/Karlsson to waive their NMC. I don’t see it.

You can keep an eye on the future while still trying to be competitive. The full rebuild will be in 2-3 years unless they nail the draft/trades/FA in the meantime (not likely).
Then view it as a ''soft'' rebuild. Bunting is 28 with term. That's a move that can help now and for a few years. He's younger than Jake. Then you add a mid 2hd and three prospects, well, that speaks volumes. I won't be surprised when we move MP.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Someone should send them a memo that they shouldn't wait until the last like three weeks of the season to attempt that next time around.
1719000761472.gif

Then view it as a ''soft'' rebuild. Bunting is 28 with term. That's a move that can help now and for a few years. I won't be surprised when we move MP.

Yeah “soft” rebuild for sure.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The Penguins got better BY selling off a valuable asset. So, there is no reason to stop now.

I agree with moving out Reilly Smith, Tristan Jarry, Lars Eller and Noel Acciari. You likely cannot make a hockey trade for either Rakell or Graves, so you hold off. Rust, as has been mentioned ad nauseum, is not going anywhere. He does not want to move. They do not want to move him. To discuss it is rather pointless.

That is where I would stop. I am not trading Karlsson. With Karlsson, they can make the playoffs in 2024-25. Without him, you might as well trade Crosby too.

As long as this team gets BETTER not worse when going younger, they should continue in that direction.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Right, but it is a rebuild. It's just camouflaged enough (apparently) to fool most ppl into believing we can contend. Which really we can't. But they're trying to sell tickets and re sign Sid so...

Most smart people know we aren’t contending but if you make playoffs anything can happen.

We’ll still push for it without selling high picks/prospects. Moves like Smith/Rakell for similar calibre and see if the chemistry works.

If we are struggling at the deadline then probably be more aggressive on selling. Then repeat the same process for the following year. Then I imagine it’s an aggressive rebuild from the pre season (2026/27).

Last edited:
Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad