Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Has there ever been a starting goalie for starting goalie trade in NHL history? Nothing is jumping out at me early 2000s to present. A situation where two teams just haven’t gotten it done and both agree for a change of scenery kind of trade.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's absolutely moronic for Seravalli to even mention Jarry in the "buyout" conversation when not mentioning any of these guys who were clearly worse than Jarry last year and also make the same or more money with term:

-Gibson: .888 save% in 46 games last year, 3 years left at $6.4 million AAV
-Grubauer: .899 save% in 36 games last year, 3 years left at $5.9 million AAV
-Kuemper: .890 save% in 33 games last year, 3 years left at $5.25 million AAV

I'm not even saying this to defend Jarry because I want him gone, but I don't know what people are talking about when they lump him in this territory. Does he have his issues? Yes, absolutely obviously. But he finished last year with a .903 save%, -0.7 GSAA and +2.6 GSAx. How is that even close to "buyout territory"? Being painfully mediocre doesn't get you bought out unless you make an asinine amount of money, which Jarry clearly does not.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
lol..you know the team has real doubts about you when you show up on a list of possible buy out candidates…talking about Jarry…

Kings aren't buying out PLD. I would be shocked if more than 2 guys from that list are bought out.

Jarry most certainly isn't being bought out. Goalie-wise, Petersen and Campbell I can see but I think both teams have additional solutions in place.
Historically how many 2nds does it take to get a 1st? 3? Would 2 2nds and a 3rd do it?
Not worth it honestly. After 10-15 in this draft, it levels off significantly. I'd rather have 2 2nds than a late 1st in this draft under the logic that 2 >1 given how close they will all be.

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's absolutely moronic for Seravalli to even mention Jarry in the "buyout" conversation when not mentioning any of these guys who were clearly worse than Jarry last year and also make the same or more money with term:

I'm not even saying this to defend Jarry because I want him gone, but I don't know what people are talking about when they lump him in this territory. Does he have his issues? Yes, absolutely obviously. But he finished last year with a .903 save%, -0.7 GSAA and +2.6 GSAx. How is that even close to "buyout territory"? Being painfully mediocre doesn't get you bought out unless you make an asinine amount of money, which Jarry clearly does not.
I think it's an issue of perspective. There is a decline in goalie skill sets in the league, and I think it's due to a number of factors, one of which is how much better the forwards are getting. But if you look at the "what you are getting" vs. "what are you paying" ratio, there is a steady decline league-wide.

If your expectation is that your starter is a .920 sv% with a sub-2.0GAA, then I can see how someone would look at the current crop of goalies, see subpar performance and the associated contracts, and wonder if a buy out is possible. But that's a Seravalli issue, not a contract, team, or goalie issue. That's him not adjusting to current trends and not adjusting expectations to current reality.

Reactions: Sideline

Sideline

May 23, 2004

Yup. Jarry isn't good, but people are completely out to lunch on what a really bad goalie looks like. When you look at the available UFAs you can't convince me there is a clear cut better option than him.

What's the genius plan, buyout Jarry and pray you get a good season or two out of 36 year old Cam Talbot? He got 2MM coming off a bad year in Ottawa. Why would he take anything less than 3MM AAV after a bounce back year when the UFA goalie market is so thin? So the Penguins net 0 cap relief at the position and best case scenario sign a 36 guy that was sub .900 save percentage two seasons ago.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Kings aren't buying out PLD. I would be shocked if more than 2 guys from that list are bought out.

Jarry most certainly isn't being bought out. Goalie-wise, Petersen and Campbell I can see but I think both teams have additional solutions in place.

Not worth it honestly. After 10-15 in this draft, it levels off significantly. I'd rather have 2 2nds than a late 1st in this draft under the logic that 2 >1 given how close they will all be.
The silver lining of giving the 1st to SJ this year is that the draft seems to be shaping up to be pretty mediocre. I guess we could win the lottery and still elect to keep it, but I'm pretty unimpressed with what the projected top 10s seem to be.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Seravalli is a pud from Philly whocried because Crosby was a day late to the All star game.

He is trash and his penguins takes are laughable.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Jarry would get the spotlight off him if we could SCORE more goals and have a functional powerplay

But since one end of the team isn't working, we start looking at the other end for a solution

We're 18th in the league in goals for

And like 13th best in goals allowed, which is pretty good

But if we scored more....we would be in the playoffs

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

None of those teams are really trying to "contend" to the point they need cap.

I doubt Jarry is bought out though.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Jarry would need to do some sort of public outburst to get bought out one year into a five year contract.
Honestly, I think something happened during that game in Dallas, his last...he was giving dagger stares to his teammates. I think the skaters are unhappy with him and Sullivan too..they don't want him back...whether anything can be done about that remains to be seen

Reactions: Son Goku

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Issue there is that he also mentions Merzlikins as a buyout candidate, and I'm not sure the Jackets are in much different of a spot than the Ducks or Kraken at this point.

I disagree. Jackets are probably about 2 years ahead of where the Ducks are in terms of needing to be competitive.

I think the Ducks are just delusional with Gibson and what he should get value wise which is why he hasn't been traded yet.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

The issue is Sid et al and Sullivan don't want Jarry here anymore

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
On this Laine talk a friendly reminder we are trying to limit how many assets we trade out.

Laine with little to no retention is worth not a lot. He's exactly who we should roll the dice on.

2 years 8.7 left. I imagine the 10 team ntc he has would not have Pittsburgh on it.

Accairi for Laine. We get a 2 million dollar hit to become a 1 million dollar hit I'm the bottom 6 and now do we do not need to overpay in years for a player in the top 6. Kinda matches the competitive time line goal we have.

Reactions: Maninthebox87

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The issue is Sid et al and Sullivan don't want Jarry here anymore

Even if we were pretending that was true (how do we know that Sid doesn't want Jarry back?), that means you trade him, not buy him out.

At least 10 teams have worse starting goalies than Jarry today.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Even if we were pretending that was true (how do we know that Sid doesn't want Jarry back?), that means you trade him, not buy him out.

At least 10 teams have worse starting goalies than Jarry today.
Good, then they should have no problem trading him, but I disagree: I don't think they'll be able to move him with 4 years left on his contract, unless they take back another terrible goalie like Campbell or Korpisalo...obviously I'm not in Sid's brain lol but the way things transpired at the end of the season shows that the players and coach lost confidence in him, and his last appearance had him essentially blaming the players in front of him, when you start shooting nasty looks at Malkin and others when you give up a goal...teammates do not like that lol

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The silver lining of giving the 1st to SJ this year is that the draft seems to be shaping up to be pretty mediocre. I guess we could win the lottery and still elect to keep it, but I'm pretty unimpressed with what the projected top 10s seem to be.
I think 1-12 roughly gets you a solid NHL roster player. After that, its a much of meh. So yeah, if there was a draft to give it up, we are lucky it's this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00