Confirmed with Link: Linus Ullmark Traded to Senators

remer

Oct 18, 2005
and this type of mentality is exactly why the bruins won’t win a cup under Sweeney

The bruins can barely get by toronto when Toronto is missing their top two guys for multiple games. They need help up front, not a reclamation project insurance policy if swayman gets injured.
Well it would be nice to be on the winning side of a trade with one of Boston's best assets this year but Sweeney failed. There is no easy way to sugar coat this one. His track record in trades is not very impressive at all. (Zacha, Coyle and Hall trades were his top moves) Many of his moves have us giving 1st and 2nd round picks like giving out candy. That's not a good look, especially when he can't get good draft picks in return on his deals. Letting UFA players walk for nothing is not good either. (Lindholm, Chara, Krug, Bertuzzi, Orlov, DeBrusk, etc.) Taking on reclamation projects is not winning formula, especially when they have cap implications. ( Kase, Ritchie, Rielly, and now Korpisalo) This would include signing UFA's that have come back to bite ( Backus, Beleskey, Rielly, Moore).
So good luck with the 25th overall pick in a week draft. We know how some of our top draft picks have made out (Senyshyn, Zboril, Studnicka, Anderson, Vaakanainen,). So after 10 years of Sweeney has Boston done very well. That would be questionable.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Not really. I have confidence Goalie Bob can get Korpisalo back to his .910 save percentage and I am almost certain Kastelic will be a good fit and a definite fan fave. Drafts can never be predicted.

Remember it's a deal for ONE YEAR of Ullmark. For all we know he could come back in a year for more hugs. You can't expect a huge return on a one year deal.
What are you going to pay him, he will be looking for a raise.

Reactions: Gordoff

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Honestly now the dust has settled its clear he screwed us and would have added Ottawa to his NTL on July 1 and blocked any deal. F him what a coward refusing a trade to a contender at the deadline as a reigning Vezina winner so he could sit on the bench and hug the starter.

He blocked trades to Colorado and LAK that is ridiculous I hope he is booed and I hope he gets lit up like a Christmas tree and gets nothing next year as a UFA.
did he run over your cat?

• Haha
Reactions: lopey and BMC

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Well it would be nice to be on the winning side of a trade with one of Boston's best assets this year but Sweeney failed. There is no easy way to sugar coat this one. His track record in trades is not very impressive at all. (Zacha, Coyle and Hall trades were his top moves) Many of his moves have us giving 1st and 2nd round picks like giving out candy. That's not a good look, especially when he can't get good draft picks in return on his deals. Letting UFA players walk for nothing is not good either. (Lindholm, Chara, Krug, Bertuzzi, Orlov, DeBrusk, etc.) Taking on reclamation projects is not winning formula, especially when they have cap implications. ( Kase, Ritchie, Rielly, and now Korpisalo) This would include signing UFA's that have come back to bite ( Backus, Beleskey, Rielly, Moore).
So good luck with the 25th overall pick in a week draft. We know how some of our top draft picks have made out (Senyshyn, Zboril, Studnicka, Anderson, Vaakanainen,). So after 10 years of Sweeney has Boston done very well. That would be questionable.
Donny found us McAvoy sway poitras and lohrei. The future foundation is bright and strong. Hes a top 5 gm in the league.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Bussi = NHL games experience "0". Faster league, better shooters. He already plays the style/system they want.
Their plan was to always get Sway an experienced backup that could play if he failed to be a heavy load #1.

Not a good deal, but there wasn't one to be had. They wanted the Ullmark issue resolved before the start of camp.

If Korpi is decent for 25-30 games(Halak made similar money with career of ups and downs), then he is worth the contract. If he's sucks we bury him in the AHL or buy him out next year.

When he was younger he beat TOR in the POs and played well against the TBL in one of their Cup years. My point is his ceiling is higher than being given credit for.

If we did nothing, then we would have bigger problems next offseason.

It sucks but all the bitching won't undo the trade.
With Bussi having to clear waivers,he probably doesn’t get any NHL experience this season again.

would have been better to just keep Ullmark...

Need to find away to keep it at or under 7mil
What experience does Ullmark have in winning a series in the playoffs

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So there wasn’t one team on his trade list that wanted him and July 1 he would have updated his list ,or did the Bruins really wanted it done before the draft .
They want the pick Friday makes sense

Trade basically 25 for Ullmark

Kastelic will assume extra guy 4L heavy teams

Korpi will compete with Bussi and if beat out sent to Prov or waived

He won’t see year 2 in AHL

It will sort out

Reactions: Alan Ryan

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Goalie Bob is a miracle worker, unless it's with Bussi I guess?

Fix him to what? It's not like he was a Vezina finalist five years ago. His best season is "decent."

Smarter than everyone else always and forever.

Goalie Bob can work miracles. But rather than picking up some vet goalie on a 1m 1 year contract, lets go trade for a guy whos GM has been struggling to get rid of. And lets give him positive value for it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The deal at least makes a lot more sense now. They want to build him into an asset and not just buy him out. They seem to think they can fix him. Still don't like it, but they are good with defensemen and goalies.
They can send Korpi to Providence and 2 M insurance policy against cap

In 6 months from today we will have a lot of info on Bussi - he is going to drive this

If Bussi looks legit in camp he’s not getting waived

And then decisions are different

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
good point, there is a lot of talk that Senators have a good team, but needed a goaltender, am I missing something here.

Nothing would surprise me after this week's happenings.

If Ullmark/Swayman had average seasons in net, not bad, average, Bruins most likely miss the playoffs or maybe get a wildcard spot.

Again, goaltending can mask a lot of issues if it plays to the level we have been accustomed to seeing.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
They want the pick Friday makes sense

Trade basically 25 for Ullmark

Kastelic will assume extra guy 4L heavy teams

Korpi will compete with Bussi and if beat out sent to Prov or waived

He won’t see year 2 in AHL

It will sort out
Only thing that makes sense to me.

Reactions: DKH

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
I think why Donny couldn't get another pick for taking korpi contract was linus isnt signing in Ottawa and going straight to free agency. This is the price of a rental . Linus wants his 7 million aav 6 years term . Good luck to who signs that nonsense.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm too lazy to go back and look but was there all this vitriol over having a 3 million dollar back-up when they signed Halak for 2.75 to pair up with 7 million dollar man Tuukka Rask for two years. Then extended him for a 3rd year for 2.25 million + 1.25 in performance bonuses.

% of cap towards goaltending 2018-19 = 12.26

2019-20 = 11.96

2020-21 = 11.35 without performance bonus, 12.88 with bonus included

2024-25 with Swayman at 8.0 million AAV = 12.5

Reactions: goldenblack and CDJ

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I'm too lazy to go back and look but was there all this vitriol over having a 3 million dollar back-up when they signed Halak for 2.75 to pair up with 7 million dollar man Tuukka Rask for two years. Then extended him for a 3rd year for 2.25 million + 1.25 in performance bonuses.

% of cap towards goaltending 2018-19 = 12.26

2019-20 = 11.96

2020-21 = 11.35 without performance bonus, 12.88 with bonus included

2024-25 with Swayman at 8.0 million AAV = 12.5

Which asset was traded for Halak?

Reactions: Fingertools

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Which asset was traded for Halak?

So it has nothing to do with the salary cap then? I don't like the deal but are people pissed off over the cap space used on goaltending, the return for Ullmark, or a combination of both? Because if it's the salary cap then their is already a history of the Bruins allocating that same % and I don't recall a massive pissing contest back then.

Reactions: lopey and CDJ

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So good luck with the 25th overall pick in a weak draft. We know how some of our top draft picks have made out (Senyshyn, Zboril, Studnicka, Anderson, Vaakanainen,). So after 10 years of Sweeney has Boston done very well. That would be questionable.
how’s your day going?

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I used to not be able to stand that guy but he grew on me the more I watched.

I will miss sitting next to Linus when he was back up. He was lots of fun on the bench and was nice to us.

He was also Sways biggest fan. Their friendship looked real to me.

I hope Sway gets signed and can handle the full-time job.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
So it has nothing to do with the salary cap then? I don't like the deal but are people pissed off over the cap space used on goaltending, the return for Ullmark, or a combination of both? Because if it's the salary cap then their is already a history of the Bruins allocating that same % and I don't recall a massive pissing contest back then.

I personally have no issues spending 3m on a backup depending on who it is. The salary cap hit isn't my biggest concern.

Reactions: BruinDust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad