Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Is it really fair to compare the two, though? Bob's got Vezina trophies and the team in front of him is about 100x better in every facet of the game than the Pens. To say "Bob sorted himself out, Jarry can too" feels a bit off, imo.

The reality of Bob is he didn’t sort himself out. He had a few bad playoffs behind bad teams.

Jarry can’t even put together good regular seasons. Everyone thinks he’s good because of one shortened season. His numbers throughout his career removing that outlier are not really anything to write home about.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Does Smith, a 2nd and Cruz Lucius get you Laine?

I honestly do not know what Laine is worth right now. I have seen extreme opposite proposals from neutral media members.

Personally, that feels like overpayment to me. And, I am not trading a second-rounder and a prospect this year.

Samsonov, Reimer, Talbot are all UFAs who probably come (relatively) cheap. Samsonov, in particular, could have interest because of his ties to Dubas.

I want nothing to do with Reimer or Talbot, but Samsonov is intriguing.

Point is even if Pens actually played effective team d in front of TJ, I don’t think he has the intangible drive that we see in goalies (like Bob in the past two years) to consistently make win-preserving saves at key moments.

The funny thing about goaltenders is, they are "prospects" long after they are no longer, er, prospects. Calvin Pickard seems to have FINALLY arrived as an NHL goaltender. He is what, 31?

Jarry might fade into oblivion as he started earlier than many goaltenders, but it is also possible that he figures it out later on in his career.

So, I am like Dubas here: stay, go...it really all depends on the offers and the alternatives.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
douy9yb2dmt71.jpg
1718487404423.png

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I honestly do not understand the Wild IF it is true that both Rossi and Gustavsson are on the trading block. The logic that is being spewed is even less understandable.

I have heard the reasoning for trading Rossi is that they have identified Eriksson Ek and Yurov as their top-two centers moving forward, and that Rossi is a bad fit on a third line. That to me sounds like an extreme case of putting the cart before the horse.

Same thing with Gustavsson. They say Wallstedt is ready and Fleury re-signed, so why not trade Gustavsson. Well, because a year from now Fleury is retired and you will be looking for, wait for it, a goaltender just like Gustavsson.

I do not understand this at all.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I honestly do not understand the Wild IF it is true that both Rossi and Gustavsson are on the trading block. The logic that is being spewed is even less understandable.

I have heard the reasoning for trading Rossi is that they have identified Eriksson Ek and Yurov as their top-two centers moving forward, and that Rossi is a bad fit on a third line. That to me sounds like an extreme case of putting the cart before the horse.

Same thing with Gustavsson. They say Wallstedt is ready and Fleury re-signed, so why not trade Gustavsson. Well, because a year from now Fleury is retired and you will be looking for, wait for it, a goaltender just like Gustavsson.

I’d take Gus back…

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I think they view Rossi as too small to be a competitive C in the NHL.

I think based on their contract talks with Gus and how he’s really only had one solid season in the NHL, they just don’t trust him.

M4lk1n71

Apr 17, 2024
He’s either a Bond villain or opening up a fried chicken franchise.

I think it’d take Ryder, Halak and a 2nd.
I think Laine would be a great fit. Great shot and he's improved his passing and other aspects of the game. He can score A LOT when he's on top of his game. If anyone can get the most out of Patrik Laine it's Mike Sullivan.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Ignoring the above take about Sullivan getting the most out of Laine...

So, aside from trades and free agency, the Penguins have five players they need to make signing decisions on at present time. That is not a very high number, so it means Dubas does have a lot of time to do trades for young assets.

The five contract decisions are...

- Brayden Yager ELC.

- RFAs Pierre-Olivier Joseph and Emil Bemstrom.

- potential extensions for Sidney Crosby and Marcus Pettersson.

Not sure why Yager is still not signed. This is a high priority. I sincerely hope they are not waiting for training camp to see if he is ready. That is madness. He had a tremendous season. Reward him. This organization needs to do more of that moving forward. Prospects rarely know where they stand with this team, which is probably why there are three former prospects playing in Europe right now as un-signed RFAs. Sign Yager A S A P.

Joseph is probably going to get a bridge deal. Maybe even a one-year contract a la Kaapo Kakko. Bemstrom, I am not sure where they stand with him. They are going to surrender a sixth-round pick for him, eventually. Have they seen enough of him? I have not, personally, and would like to get him signed. But he has to accept a below QO deal, or else they will not qualify him. Ideally, he takes a deal like the St. Ivany or Puustinen deals.

Crosby is a no-brainer extension. Three years, or more if he wants more. The money does not matter. As for Pettersson, I would like to re-sign him on July 1 but Dubas might decide to go the Guentzel route with him. I would not. I think you always need defenders. And when this team has new, younger defensemen to groom, he is perfect for that role. I would do it soon.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

So, aside from trades and free agency, the Penguins have five players they need to make signing decisions on at present time. That is not a very high number, so it means Dubas does have a lot of time to do trades for young assets.

- Brayden Yager ELC.

Not sure why Yager is still not signed. This is a high priority. I sincerely hope they are not waiting for training camp to see if he is ready. That is madness. He had a tremendous season. Reward him. This organization needs to do more of that moving forward. Prospects rarely know where they stand with this team, which is probably why there are three former prospects playing in Europe right now as un-signed RFAs. Sign Yager A S A P.
soon.
i see no reason to wait. what would they benefit by doing that?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

- Brayden Yager ELC.

Joseph is probably going to get a bridge deal. Maybe even a one-year contract a la Kaapo Kakko. Bemstrom, I am not sure where they stand with him. They are going to surrender a sixth-round pick for him, eventually. Have they seen enough of him? I have not, personally, and would like to get him signed. But he has to accept a below QO deal, or else they will not qualify him. Ideally, he takes a deal like the St. Ivany or Puustinen deals.

Crosby is a no-brainer extension. Three years, or more if he wants more. The money does not matter. As for Pettersson, I would like to re-sign him on July 1 but Dubas might decide to go the Guentzel route with him. I would not. I think you always need defenders. And when this team has new, younger defensemen to groom, he is perfect for that role. I would do it soon.
So I disagree on Petts, who definitely is our best LD…I think if you’re a GM serious about bringing in youth and more picks and prospects, you trade him…we can find some LD in a trade or FA (like Walker) who can fill a need, hopefully a short term contract…of course that assumes we can get really good picks or prospects back for Petts…if the offers aren’t right, then by all means hold onto him and Dubas will likely try again at the TDL

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I feel like Laine is a pretty big gamble I wouldn’t hate him if it wasn’t a huge cost to acquire him. I think he would drive Sully crazy though.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don’t think Laine is worth the cap hit given how bad his defensive metrics are. If we had a well oiled machine around him sure he’s the icing on the cake but we are not well oiled.

Reactions: Andy99

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010

- Brayden Yager ELC.

I'm not worried about Yager. That'll be done. He's their top prospect and they aren't going to lose him. They have until Sept 15th to sign him to his ELC and have it slide. There's really no pressure or reason for them to do it now.

I'd bring back POJ on a bridge deal. He's affordable and effective for what he brings. I like POJ more than most on the board and think he adds a great skill set in the event Letang or EK get hurt. He, St. Ivany, and Ludwig are solid 6-8 Defenseman.

Bemstrom is gone, imo. There's nothing there. He didn't impress. No reason to keep him.

Crosby will be extended. That I have no doubt. I think the only question is for how much. He'll retire a Pen and bless him for it.

I'm going against the grain and hoping we resign Petersson long term. Of all the players I think you keep through a rebuild, Pettersson is the one I would. He's just such a rock back on the blueline. He is only getting better with age. Keep him to be the leader of the next wave of defense for years to come.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I feel like Laine is a pretty big gamble I wouldn’t hate him if it wasn’t a huge cost to acquire him. I think he would drive Sully crazy though.
Not much of a gamble if there's not much to lose.
It's 4.35M x 2 years after CBJ retains 50%. They have no leverage. He wants out, and he's been hurt a lot the last 4 years.
Is there any timeline where the Pens convert that money into something that gets them past a 1st round opponent? Probably not, no? So what's there to sweat about? It's a short term investment.
At least acquiring Laine would directly address one of their core issues, which is PP1 and a shooting threat on the left wall. Might make the team a little more tolerable to watch.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Not much of a gamble if there's not much to lose.
It's 4.35M x 2 years after CBJ retains 50%. They have no leverage. He wants out, and he's been hurt a lot the last 4 years.
Is there any timeline where the Pens convert that money into something that gets them past a 1st round opponent? Probably not, no? So what's there to sweat about? It's a short term investment.
At least acquiring Laine would directly address one of their core issues, which is PP1 and a shooting threat on the left wall. Might make the team a little more tolerable to watch.
We said that about EK…nothing will make this team tolerable to watch under Sullivan lol…

Reactions: Maninthebox87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad