Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
They're not going to run with something like Nedjelkovic-Blomqvist to start next year.
Why not though? Do you honestly, and seriously believe the result would be much different than Jarry and whoever? Ned proved in the last quarter of the season he can handle a heavy workload.

If by the grace of God you have a suitor for Jarry out there, you take that trade and run with it.

It's insane how many chances Jarry has gotten with this org

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Few pages back but tbh I don’t agree effort was an issue

For the most part this team played hard and got chances. Just mentally weak with lead and at wrong moments, no PP. They need

Talent. Esp shooting talent
Swagger
Timely saves

In order

Reactions: Andy99

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
They need

Talent. Esp shooting talent
Swagger
douy9yb2dmt71.jpg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why not though? Do you honestly, and seriously believe the result would be much different than Jarry and whoever? Ned proved in the last quarter of the season he can handle a heavy workload.

If by the grace of God you have a suitor for Jarry out there, you take that trade and run with it.

It's insane how many chances Jarry has gotten with this org

Nedjelkovic had a sub-.900 save% when he was being used in a heavy workload at the end of last year. They were winning a ton of games in spite of Nedjelkovic.

From March 1st to the end of the season, Nedjelkovic played in 19 of 25 games and had an .886 save%.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Nedjelkovic had a sub-.900 save% when he was being used in a heavy workload at the end of last year. They were winning a ton of games in spite of Nedjelkovic.

From March 1st to the end of the season, Nedjelkovic played in 19 of 25 games and had an .886 save%.
Or in other words, what we've gotten from Jarry every single season from March 1st onwards.

The point is the difference between Jarry+whoever vs. Ned+Blom. It won't be the difference maker.

Also I consider 19 of 25 games a heavy workload for sure.

Jarry is just not that guy. Do I sound like a broken record yet? Or do you want to have this same conversation 1 year from now as well.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Does Smith, a 2nd and Cruz Lucius get you Laine?
Laine wants out, and isn't this the second team in a row he's requested a trade from?

He has only played 18 of the past 164 regular season games and missed like a combined 50-60 gms between the two seasons before that.

He makes 8.7 mil a year for two years

Even that minimal return feels like overpayment with all that uncertainty. Who knows what you are getting with all that time away from the game and the injuries that he had before that.

At this point Columbus should be happy to just get smith for one year, save almost 4 mil this season and all 8.7 next and move on.

How was he only like 24 years old in that photo?

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Laine wants out, and isn't this the second team in a row he's requested a trade from?

He has only played 18 of the past 164 regular season games and missed like a combined 50-60 gms between the two seasons before that.

He makes 8.7 mil a year for two years

Even that minimal return feels like overpayment with all that uncertainty. Who knows what you are getting with all that time away from the game and the injuries that he had before that.

At this point Columbus should be happy to just get smith for one year, save almost 4 mil this season and all 8.7 next and move on.

How was he only like 24 years old in that photo?
And CBJ can easily flip Smith for a pick at the TDL. Could be a potential win - win situation for the CBJ and the Pens.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Or in other words, what we've gotten from Jarry every single season from March 1st onwards.

The point is the difference between Jarry+whoever vs. Ned+Blom. It won't be the difference maker.

Also I consider 19 of 25 games a heavy workload for sure.

Jarry is just not that guy. Do I sound like a broken record yet? Or do you want to have this same conversation 1 year from now as well.

Saying "they shouldn't enter next year with Nedjelkovic-Blomqvist as the goalie duo" doesn't mean "they should keep Jarry". Don't make up a strawman argument.

You explicitly cut out the point of my argument to just shit on Jarry and act like my argument was to keep Jarry:

How many of those guys are available? Because the Penguins will presumably want 2 of those guys if they're running with a platoon setup. They're not going to run with something like Nedjelkovic-Blomqvist to start next year.

Like I said above, if they can get something like a Talbot-Nedjelkovic goalie duo, I think they would do it. But they're not going to go into next year with Nedjelkovic-Blomqvist or Nedjelkovic-some random UFA backup.

It's shooting yourself in the foot if you can't get another goalie who can give you 30+ games of solid goaltending play.
In UFA this year, there just isn't many of those kind of goalies available.

Reactions: Rave7215

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

In other words, he gave a Jarry-like performance but for about half the salary. Which, again, is kind of the point. It's not that we'd be getting Vezina-caliber goaltending from these cheap UFA goalie tandems, it's that we'd be getting the same sort of "average" goaltending we're getting from Jarry, but for much cheaper and less term.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In other words, he gave a Jarry-like performance but for about half the salary. Which, again, is kind of the point. It's not that we'd be getting Vezina-caliber goaltending from these cheap UFA goalie tandems, it's that we'd be getting the same sort of "average" goaltending we're getting from Jarry, but for much cheaper and less term.

Again, literally read the argument I'm making:

How many of those guys are available? Because the Penguins will presumably want 2 of those guys if they're running with a platoon setup. They're not going to run with something like Nedjelkovic-Blomqvist to start next year.

Like I said above, if they can get something like a Talbot-Nedjelkovic goalie duo, I think they would do it. But they're not going to go into next year with Nedjelkovic-Blomqvist or Nedjelkovic-some random UFA backup.

It's shooting yourself in the foot if you can't get another goalie who can give you 30+ games of solid goaltending play.
In UFA this year, there just isn't many of those kind of goalies available

I don't know why people on here flat out can't read arguments that they're responding to. I'm literally not advocating for keeping Jarry. I'm saying they won't go into next year with Nedjelkovic and a backup or Nedjelkovic and an unproven rookie. If they're moving on from Jarry, they'll be going for a tandem of 2 platoon guys who can both eat about 35-40 games a year.

Reactions: Kiith Nabaal

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Again, literally read the argument I'm making:

I don't know why people on here flat out can't read arguments that they're responding to. I'm literally not advocating for keeping Jarry. I'm saying they won't go into next year with Nedjelkovic and a backup or Nedjelkovic and an unproven rookie. If they're moving on from Jarry, they'll be going for a tandem of 2 platoon guys who can both eat about 35-40 games a year.
Samsonov, Reimer, Talbot are all UFAs who probably come (relatively) cheap. Samsonov, in particular, could have interest because of his ties to Dubas.

Reactions: Kiith Nabaal

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yeah or doing like 2 2nds for Rossi type swings… similar to Canadiens swapping picks for Dach and Newhook.

But no more “buy low on this mid journeyman he’ll definitely be a difference maker now that he’s 31”
Yeah go and get long term players that have the potential to make a difference. Not swing or miss like Laine with all his injuries/lack of desires. He can stick to bottom barrel teams.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not someone who thinks of 2nds as particularly valuable at all. Even so, the most I'd throw at Columbus was like Rakell/Smith and some schlub prospect like Lucius or Broz. If that's not enough, you just shrug and hang up the phone.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Graves I could see rebounding but Jarry is who he is…we’ve seen it for numerous seasons now…anyone counting on him playing better post-January is fooling themselves…get better goaltending and this team has a chance with a few moves
We’ve seen Bob shake his playoff demons in the past couple years - of course with a team that plays great team defense - so it can be done. But I don’t know if Jarry has the personality to want to be better than he is now. I mean I obviously am not in the room but from a fan’s perspective his drive to win and hate-to-lose factor seems to be somewhat limited.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Is it really fair to compare the two, though? Bob's got Vezina trophies and the team in front of him is about 100x better in every facet of the game than the Pens. To say "Bob sorted himself out, Jarry can too" feels a bit off, imo.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad