Proposal: Penguins-Sharks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's the New York Post, so take it with a grain of salt, but I saw this earlier today:

NHL team interested in Evander Kane trade after COVID suspension is up

There is credible chatter reaching Slap Shots that an Eastern Conference team has shown considerable interest in dealing for Evander Kane, the Sharks winger who on Nov. 30 is due to come off his 21-game suspension for violating NHL/NHLPA COVID-19 protocols, and no, it’s not the Rangers.

The Sharks are believed willing to pick up half of the cap hit and money on the contract in order to move the winger, who would, from a talent standpoint, fit into just about any team’s top six.

So with this in mind, how about this proposal:

Penguins get Kane at $5 million
Sharks get Zucker

The Penguins get a sizable upgrade in ability, but at the downside of trading a good locker room guy (Zucker is apparently loved in the locker room) for a guy who.....needs work, to put it politely. The Sharks get out of Kane's deal while also getting a suitable short term replacement for him, while not having to pay any sort of assets to get out of his contract.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
It's the New York Post, so take it with a grain of salt, but I saw this earlier today:

Sharks get Zucker

The Penguins get a sizable upgrade in ability, but at the downside of trading a good locker room guy (Zucker is apparently loved in the locker room) for a guy who.....needs work, to put it politely. The Sharks get out of Kane's deal while also getting a suitable short term replacement for him, while not having to pay any sort of assets to get out of his contract.
hmmm... the problem with moving Kane is term. he's got 3 more years after this one, 2 of which have 2M signing bonuses

and if he DOESN'T work out, then THAT team has to figure out how to dump him

very much buyer beware

StIvany4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Doesn’t Zucker have a family situation?

My understanding is that he would not want to be as far as San Jose

Also regardless of the truth to the various Kane allegations, where there’s smoke there’s usually fire and I have no interest in him wearing black and gold

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Doesn’t Zucker have a family situation?

My understanding is that he would not want to be as far as San Jose

Also regardless of the truth to the various Kane allegations, where there’s usually smoke there’s fire and I have no interest in him wearing black and gold

Zucker only has a 10 team NTC, so he can't limit trades to every other team just because of his family situation.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We shouldn't have to give a net positive top six player for Kane.

I would be trying to gain depth than trading out one non issue player for a player with baggage.

Buy low at 50% (3.5) and do picks and cap dump. What exactly? I'm not sure, but money in and money out has to be done.

Zucker is not a cap dump, and at that point I'd want more back than just Kane at the difference of Zucker's cap. Only 1.5 OUCH!!! if we are giving up a positive player on and off the ice. 3.5>>>>>>5.5

I wouldn't even do Rust 3.5 UFA this year for Kane at 50%.

We shouldn't be that hellbent on helping them out of their problem child.

Reactions: Darren McCord

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
I'd rather just play out the year with Zucker being mediocre then put that money to use next offseason.
Edit..
Oh God he has another year. Oh God. Bring in Kane.

Last edited:

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
DW tried getting Zucker at the deadline in 2019 so there is an interest from him for sure.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
From a hockey standpoint, Kane is a much better player than Zucker. But I don't want that guy on the team I cheer for. Way too much baggage, way too many issues with his character.

Reactions: wej20

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Here is the thing. Players like Crosby, and Malkin who are hall of famers will keep a guy like Evander Kane in line plus with enhance his work ethic and responsibility. Also a power forward at 6'2 with speed is Ideal to complement Crosby and Guentzel .
Kane Crosby Guentzel
Kapanen Gino Rust Or Brock Mcginn <--- This make so much sense from a balance line Standpoint

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

Sharks get Zucker

Gross no way. Kane is only an upgrade when he's not causing issues off the ice. Kane isnt solving penguins current issue but will most likely create more issues. Easy pass. No need to be tied to that for 3 more years.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If I were getting rid of Zucker, I'd want to find a way to get cap space and flexibility back, not a guy who's managed to acquire the single most poisonous reputation in the NHL as of today.

Reactions: Gurglesons

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If I were getting rid of Zucker, I'd want to find a way to get cap space and flexibility back, not a guy who's managed to acquire the single most poisonous reputation in the NHL as of today.

Cap space and flexibility for what? You are spending a significant asset on "cap space and flexibility" to...what? To spend additional assets to use that cap space?

Kane is a different argument. But if we are sending Zucker out, there is a Zucker-like impact player coming back. Not cap space and flexibility.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Here is the thing. Players like Crosby, and Malkin who are hall of famers will keep a guy like Evander Kane in line plus with enhance his work ethic and responsibility. Also a power forward at 6'2 with speed is Ideal to complement Crosby and Guentzel .
Kane Crosby Guentzel
Kapanen Gino Rust Or Brock Mcginn <--- This make so much sense from a balance line Standpoint

If players like Thornton, Marleau, Vlasic, Burns and Couture couldn't keep him in check I wonder if anyone can. Although, Penguins have Brian Burke, he probably can.

Player-wise he would be super ideal for Penguins, the other stuff just is too much for me.

Reactions: Gecklund

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Pittsburgh is a team that would make sense for Kane - strong leadership group (including 2x Cup winning coach) and a veteran team trying to stretch out its competitive window before it slams shut. Should be able to get him dirt cheap as I can't imagine there's really much interest across the league.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Crosby and Malkin are lead by example type players. They can inspire other players to adopt their habits and work ethic, but they aren't very vocal leaders. The Pens have often looked to supplement that role with veterans. I don't think their room would work with Kane any more than SJs did. It would probably be worse.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Cap space and flexibility for what? You are spending a significant asset on "cap space and flexibility" to...what? To spend additional assets to use that cap space?

Kane is a different argument. But if we are sending Zucker out, there is a Zucker-like impact player coming back. Not cap space and flexibility.

Cover a Kapanen pay rise.
Cover a Rust pay rise.
Cover an ERod pay rise.
Pay more than 1.25m to our backup goalie
Pay more than 700k to our 6D
Give Heinen a little raise
Maybe part of retaining Letang
Maybe part of chasing Forsberg or Klingberg

Take your pick from the above. Even if you regard half the list as undesirable, there's still plenty of ways a line up in flux can potentially use and need that space. If Zucker can't be moved without a significant asset being used, then fine, keep him - but that should be the goal if we move him. Not Evander Kane. And not another way to tangle up cap we'll need barring some perfect fit elsewhere.

Reactions: Gurglesons

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
If you're looking at Kane's on-ice performance in a vacuum this is a no-brainer for Pittsburgh. But the off-ice concerns with Kane are so significant that, to me, it offsets the upgrade. Early in Kane's career I think people were too harsh on him, but he's been at the epicenter of pointless, distracting controversy and created major headaches for multiple teams now. I say no thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad