Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I wouldn't mind it on the cheap but Jarry is likely going to get some money thrown at him from someone
I honestly don't get that feel? He's proved nothing in the postseason, unlike a Murray who got payed. He's coming off a piss poor year, He isn't capable of playing a starter workload. I could see 3.5 x 1 or something like that.

Because i guarantee no team sees him as a starter because of his availability. Any team signing him will be needing a 2nd good goalie, so he'll get payed back-up money.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I wouldn't mind it on the cheap but Jarry is likely going to get some money thrown at him from someone

I was hoping for 1-1.5 less as a "I love it here discount lets win this thing for us old guys"

and for 3 years
This is Zucker’s last contract most likely…he’s going to get a 5 year deal…Pens shouldn’t sign it lol

Reactions: Sideline

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Much as I want the team to get younger, they're probably not going to find better value for money on established players than Zucker at 4.8m, he fits like a glove, and who cares if it's five years when this team is done after three at most.

I'd want to see a pretty convincing plan A before saying no to that.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Okay so i just spent like 45 mins crunching numbers from the game logs, and the findings are pretty damning to say the least.

Dubas I hope your analytics guys are paying attention.

3LGGI3V.png
1686841039603.png

I respect the effort, but you didn't need to calculate the game logs. NHL.com has a tool for date ranges.

I would say it's concerning for Jarry only if that post-TDL form carries over into playoffs, which it did once I guess.
Otherwise, games in October+November and March+April matter are totally equivalent, even if the media try to beat it over our heads that they're not.
They will affect our ability to qualify just the same. I'll take an early season hot streak and a late season cold streak from Jarry if that means getting in.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
There's like 0 reason for Zucker to do 5x3M, but what a steal that would be.
id be comfortable with a 3x3.5 and I dont see why some think he's going to go 5. He absolutely could go 5 but he may also want to retire at 35.....a lot of hockey players do. Zucker has made money

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
If someone offers him 5 years, and someone probably will, there's no reason for him not to sign it if AAV is the same.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Much as I want the team to get younger, they're probably not going to find better value for money on established players than Zucker at 4.8m, he fits like a glove, and who cares if it's five years when this team is done after three at most.

You say no because Zucker only stopped playing like shit for us in a contract year.

Our luck he signs a big deal here and goes right back to sucking and getting hurt all the time.

Reactions: Andy99 and Pens x

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Garland is faster, 4 years younger, has a 15% stronger ES scoring rate over his career, and is more useful defensively. You will even get a pick for taking him.
Plus his contract lines up with our window. When he leaves they can use the space to take on a bad contract in exchange for an asset for the future.
He will have just turned 29 when the deal expires. There's no chance he'll noticeably decline physically during this time, barring a bad injury. But with Zucker there is, especially in years 2 and 3 of the new deal.

I like Zucker very much, but if I'm making a cold calculation for the future, CG makes more sense. L2 needs to be more responsible when they don't have the puck. Zucker has been a minus player 5 years straight. His offense comes at a cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRAGO 18

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
You say no because Zucker only stopped playing like shit for us in a contract year.

Our luck he signs a big deal here and goes right back to sucking and getting hurt all the time.
Zucker didn't suck ever.

He was injured for a good part correct but at no point of him playing here did he "suck"

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm not so sure, I can see him signing a 3 year taking him to 35. Hes already made 40 million in his career.
3 years would take him to 34 years a few months….he turns 32 in January…he probably doesn’t take anything less than 4 years and someone will likely offer him 5 to keep the AAV down

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

8. Can the Penguins take one last crack at a Cup with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang?

It would have been one thing for Pittsburgh to miss the playoffs had Crosby and Malkin gotten hurt or taken a step back. It’s much worse that they missed the playoffs while wasting a 93-point season from Crosby and an 83-point campaign from Malkin. The supporting cast around Crosby, Malkin and Letang needs to be dramatically overhauled by the start of next season for any shot at a final year of contention.

Kyle Dubas has approximately $20.2 million in cap space to play with, which is a legitimate weapon. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done, however.

Pittsburgh must either re-sign or replace pending UFA Tristan Jarry, their talented but oft-injured goalie. A complete overhaul of the third line, both at center and on the wings, is necessary. The Penguins’ top-four is also too old, too slow and in need of an upgrade. One would guess that this year’s No. 14 overall draft pick should be on the table as a trade chip.

Dubas needs to either buy out or dump Mikael Granlund’s contract to create more flexibility, and an overpriced blue-line contract like that of Jeff Petry or Jan Rutta should be shopped as well.

Pittsburgh is light on trade chips, besides their first-round selection, and the free-agent market is weak, so this turnaround won’t be an easy task.
It’s worth a swing though, because who knows how many more highly productive years they will get from Crosby, Malkin and Letang.

Reactions: Andy99 and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Garland is faster, 4 years younger, has a 15% stronger ES scoring rate over his career, and is more useful defensively. You will even get a pick for taking him.
Plus his contract lines up with our window. When he leaves they can use the space to take on a bad contract in exchange for an asset for the future.
He will have just turned 29 when the deal expires. There's no chance he'll noticeably decline physically during this time, barring a bad injury. But with Zucker there is, especially in years 2 and 3 of the new deal.

I like Zucker very much, but if I'm making a cold calculation for the future, CG makes more sense. L2 needs to be more responsible when they don't have the puck. Zucker has been a minus player 5 years straight. His offense comes at a cost.

He is also predominantly a right wing rather than a left, and more importantly, he doesn't have Zucker's ability to play like Hornqvist. He'd a be a great replacement to what Rust is being if you could somehow move Rust for value (and he'd let you) and then pick up Garland for some extra picks, but as a replacement for Zucker, that makes the top six really congested with the same type of tiny player and righties.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Bunting, Barbashev or Engvall at $5, even $5.5M is better value, even if you’re offering them 6-7 year term…the age difference is 4 years…all are good forecheckers and go to the net

Sideline

May 23, 2004

8. Can the Penguins take one last crack at a Cup with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang?

It would have been one thing for Pittsburgh to miss the playoffs had Crosby and Malkin gotten hurt or taken a step back. It’s much worse that they missed the playoffs while wasting a 93-point season from Crosby and an 83-point campaign from Malkin. The supporting cast around Crosby, Malkin and Letang needs to be dramatically overhauled by the start of next season for any shot at a final year of contention.

Kyle Dubas has approximately $20.2 million in cap space to play with, which is a legitimate weapon. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done, however.

Pittsburgh must either re-sign or replace pending UFA Tristan Jarry, their talented but oft-injured goalie. A complete overhaul of the third line, both at center and on the wings, is necessary. The Penguins’ top-four is also too old, too slow and in need of an upgrade. One would guess that this year’s No. 14 overall draft pick should be on the table as a trade chip.

Dubas needs to either buy out or dump Mikael Granlund’s contract to create more flexibility, and an overpriced blue-line contract like that of Jeff Petry or Jan Rutta should be shopped as well.

Pittsburgh is light on trade chips, besides their first-round selection, and the free-agent market is weak, so this turnaround won’t be an easy task.
It’s worth a swing though, because who knows how many more highly productive years they will get from Crosby, Malkin and Letang.
I don't get the Jan Rutta thing. I thought he was fine and his cap hit isn't obnoxious. And considering a blueline full of big guys that aren't terrible skaters just dominated in the playoffs I'm hesitant to dump Petry. Dumo is the guy that needs to go away.

Media seems to be saying they need dump guys because cap space. But the Penguins have a ton of room already so I just don't see paying to get rid of guys as anywhere close to the top priority.

The Penguins need goaltending and a bottom six that isn't a crime against hockey. That shouldn't cost more than 20MM. If you splurge and really need room then sure Granlund is expendable, but this notion that cap dumps and buyouts are a high priority needs to die.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
I don't get the Jan Rutta thing. I thought he was fine and his cap hit isn't obnoxious. And considering a blueline full of big guys that aren't terrible skaters just dominated in the playoffs I'm hesitant to dump Petry. Dumo is the guy that needs to go away.

Media seems to be saying they need dump guys because cap space. But the Penguins have a ton of room already so I just don't see paying to get rid of guys as anywhere close to the top priority.

The Penguins need goaltending and a bottom six that isn't a crime against hockey. That shouldn't cost more than 20MM. If you splurge and really need room then sure Granlund is expendable, but this notion that cap dumps and buyouts are a high priority needs to die.
This, as I've been saying all summer, of all the problems this team had all year, Jeff Petry wasnt even in the top 900000 of them, he's fine and far from a problem, his contract might suck but everything else is fine. Hell he's about the only defenseman that regularly shoots the damn puck and actually tends to hit the goal with the shot.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

When he's healthy, which has been exceptionally infrequent during his time as a Pen outside of his contract year. No thanks.

Much rather put that money towards a younger guy with a burr in his saddle like Bertuzzi.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Bunting, Barbashev or Engvall at $5, even $5.5M is better value, even if you’re offering them 6-7 year term…the age difference is 4 years…all are good forecheckers and go to the net

I'm not against those players, but 32 teams want them. You could very easily end up with none of them.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
When he's healthy, which has been exceptionally infrequent during his time as a Pen outside of his contract year. No thanks.

Much rather put that money towards a younger guy with a burr in his saddle like Bertuzzi.
If Bertuzzi was after the same deal as Zucker I would agree all day every day. However, I expect Bertuzzi will get offered more for longer than whatever Zucker eventually gets.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Running back the same exact top six group would be kind of a shame on top of everything else.

I know everyone thinks it's "great" as-is. I don't. I look at Zucker's expiring contract as an opportunity to change things up a little bit among a group that is unfortunately pretty much set in stone. Get a pure shooter there or a guy who plays a lot heavier... something different.

I love what Zucker did last season but there is too much of the same shit in the top six. Were Rust not a thing I would be much more intrigued by the idea. But I absolutely loathe the Zucker/Malkin/Rust dynamic. It's soft, inconsistent and lacks shooting ability. And from the wing position at least lacks offensive creativity in general.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad