Proposal: Penguins/Oilers

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Floated this idea in another thread and at least 2 people liked it. I think the Pens are in a position to gamble on Nurse. His contract sucks as of now, but he was once a great blue liner, and the Pens are toast once Crosby retires anyways (i.e his 6 year contract doesn’t mean much to us)

Nurse (9.25m x 6)

For

Graves (4.5m x 5)
Rakell (5m x 4)

Personally I feel like Rakell is not a fit with the Pens. He is an upgrade for the Oil in their middle 6. Graves sucks and was a horrible signing, but no more so than Nurse.

Pettersson-Karlsson
Nurse-Letang

^ has potential to be great, but at worst it can’t be worse than the defense we had this year.

Maybe it’s “meh, why from either side” trade, but curious what people think.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
No one is taking on that contract for Nurse. He’s playing on the third pairing for Edmonton.
Well, the penguins are sending back a comparatively horrendous contract in Graves as well as an arguably overpaid, declining Rakell.

And again, the length of Nurse’s contract is of no real concern for the Pens. We are 2 years away from being bottom feeders. So worst case scenario he continues to suck, but we will be crap anyways. Best case scenario, he returns to his former self and we maximize the twilight years of our stars.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well, the penguins are sending back a comparatively horrendous contract in Graves as well as an arguably overpaid, declining Rakell.

And again, the length of Nurse’s contract is of no real concern for the Pens. We are 2 years away from being bottom feeders. So worst case scenario he continues to suck, but we will be crap anyways. Best case scenario, he returns to his former self and we maximize the twilight years of our stars.

Graves is a terrible player, but he's making 4.5 mil.

Rakell had 37 points last year with a bum shoulder. He's easily worth his 5 mil hit.

Nurse is arguably the worse contract in the league.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Graves is a terrible player, but he's making 4.5 mil.

Rakell had 37 points last year with a bum shoulder. He's easily worth his 5 mil hit.

Nurse is arguably the worse contract in the league.
But he was once a great player not long ago. Players like that can turn it around. Seth Jones is another guy that comes to mind. Not worth his contract but really rebounded and is a good player

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Will be funny when the Penguins can't weaponize their cap space when Crosby/Malkin are gone because they slurped up all the bad contracts already for magic beans that never helped those two at the end anyways.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Graves contract may be OK if he plays as expected this year. Rakell injured last year hindered his play but when healthy he is a very good player for the Pens.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
No, simply on the principle that using the same amount of cap space on one player you don't think fits is worse than using it on two players you don't think fits. That other spot has to be filled as well.

Also, I think both Graves and Rakell will play better next season, but that's a separate issue.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You're talking about a contract that is one of the very worst in the league. Graves is a bad deal, but not in the Huberdeau, Nurse, Meier category of bad deal.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Take out Rakell, and if the Oilers would be willing to send a pick and a prospect, I would swap Graves for Nurse.

The difference in money means the pick and the prospect would have to be pretty good, though.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Take out Rakell, and if the Oilers would be willing to send a pick and a prospect, I would swap Graves for Nurse.

The difference in money means the pick and the prospect would have to be pretty good, though.
Add Greg McKegg and you have yourself a deal!!.:naughty: Dubas does love players from the SOO Greyhounds.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I honestly don't think Edmonton can get out of that Nurse contract without retaining 50% and tbh that may be in their best interest.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Nurse at 4.6M per would be a steal and would bring a major return ..
I doubt a major return, but he'd get a return. A team would still be on the hook for 4.6 over the next 6 years. He's gonna be 34 when the contract end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad