Rumor: Penguins interested in Robert Hagg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
For what it’s worth, this was initially said by kingerski who is the biggest hack I’ve ever seen in a sea of journalistic hacks. I don’t know if Yohe got it from him, but Yohe has not shown any sign of actually knowing what Hextall regime is doing thus far either.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean, maybe. That's great.

But the rumor quoted here isn't "Pens trying to dump a contract" it's "Pens looking to improve." You could be right about dumping Pettersson. But this is a Hagg thread.

Hagg is terrible. I wouldn't want him on my team for free. He makes a team worse.

I don't know that trading Pettersson for Hagg is really "dumping" Pettersson. It's trading from a position of strength (LHD puck movers) for a position of weakness (physical defenseman).

The Penguins would likely add a bit but I think it wouldn't be anything major. Maybe like Pettersson and a 3rd/4th for Hagg.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I don't know that trading Pettersson for Hagg is really "dumping" Pettersson. It's trading from a position of strength (LHD puck movers) for a position of weakness (physical defenseman).

The Penguins would likely add a bit but I think it wouldn't be anything major. Maybe like Pettersson and a 3rd/4th for Hagg.

That's a pretty big downgrade, in my humble opinion.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The only way it would make sense if Pittsburgh were actually in on Chiarot, or if they’re considering Hagg (who they don’t need at all and wouldn’t crack their top 7), would be if they had another deal lined up where they’re trading one of their D for a top 6 winger.

Otherwise this makes zero sense.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If true, 3rd pairing guy who if on LD hasn't been terrible. Whatever you do, don't put him on RD... there are few words to describe how hard he struggles on his offhand side. Honestly, watching him in Philly and then watching him in Buffalo, he's been better this year on a team thought to be truly terrible to start the year. Probably something like a 4th or 5th rounder.

Reactions: is the answer jesus

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Hagg's physicality is so overblown. 99% of his "hits" are bumps along the walls after the puck has already been moved. They're not even particularly hard or anything, it's just him getting out of position and processing the game too slowly to understand where the puck is going.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ehhh...the guy is a favoured whipping boy and he's obviously not a great defenceman. Definitely not the type of defencemen people around here seem to appreciate in general. But for a late round pick or something, you could do worse for a spare depth defenceman.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
We have Freidman sitting as it is. Hagg isn't better than Freidman so...why? Unless it's for a LATE pick like a 5th or 6th.

Acquiring Hagg at ANY price, short of dumping a Jack Johnson-type contract on the Sabres (and maybe not even then), is just stupid. Think harder, Hextall. Much harder.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's a pretty big downgrade, in my humble opinion.

It is a big downgrade at 5v5, but I think it's worthwhile for the Penguins because it saves them cap space and Hagg offers some physicality and special teams upside that Pettersson definitely does not add. Pettersson is the better 5v5 defenseman, but Pettersson's skillset is a surplus on the Penguins. They have no one like Hagg, even with Hagg's issues.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Looks somewhat hilarious at first glance.

I could see there being reason to the madness though. Haggsta is a reasonable PK’er whereas Petterson is our least used D-man on that unit with Matheson, and neither are used there unless we absolutely have to. He’d also be our most prominent hitter, and would play sheltered ES minutes.

If Petterson goes the other way, it gives us added cap-flex to address F and also gives meaningful relief for the Summer, where we’d have an in-house option in POJ or Friedman.

Of course, Petterson should be worth a good deal more than Hagg, but the other issues mentioned might make this a low-key win/win for both teams.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Looks somewhat hilarious at first glance.

I could see there being reason to the madness though. Haggsta is a reasonable PK’er whereas Petterson is our least used D-man on that unit with Matheson, and neither are used there unless we absolutely have to. He’d also be our most prominent hitter, and would play sheltered ES minutes.

If Petterson goes the other way, it gives us added cap-flex to address F and also gives meaningful relief for the Summer, where we’d have an in-house option in POJ or Friedman.

Of course, Petterson should be worth a good deal more than Hagg, but the other issues mentioned might make this a low-key win/win for both teams.
Pittsburgh would need to add considerably to take back a Peterson cap dump.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Pittsburgh would need to add considerably to take back a Peterson cap dump.

Don’t think this happens unless Buffalo has an interest in having Petterson. He will be a useful player on many teams.
Afterall, we are not trading for a better player here, if indeed there is anything to the rumor.

Most likely it comes as a surprise to many that Hagg would even have value to a contender.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Mmm probably not since he would instantly be a decent upgrade in Buffalo.

BUF has no use for Pettersson. Aside from Dahlin and Power, who will obviously be their top 2 left D for a long time, they have Mattias Samuelsson already playing ~ 20 minutes/game in the NHL and has fantastic potential long term as a physical shut-down Dman; and first rounder LD Ryan Johnson who is ready to turn pro. That’s why BUF is looking for a RD.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
BUF has no use for Pettersson. Aside from Dahlin and Power, who will obviously be their top 2 left D for a long time, they have Mattias Samuelsson already playing ~ 20 minutes/game in the NHL and has fantastic potential long term as a physical shut-down Dman; and first rounder LD Ryan Johnson who is ready to turn pro. That’s why BUF is looking for a RD.
Good point with Power. In that case I see it even less. Can’t say I am too disappointed either ;).

Reactions: jmelm

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
The only way I'd be ok with this is if its for like a 6th or 7th and another D man is moved out to vancouver for a forward. Simply for depth reasons only. Pens could easily just call up POJ for the playoffs

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Don’t think this happens unless Buffalo has an interest in having Petterson. He will be a useful player on many teams.
Afterall, we are not trading for a better player here, if indeed there is anything to the rumor.

Most likely it comes as a surprise to many that Hagg would even have value to a contender.

idont see Peterson being anything of value other than a negative cap dump.

Hagg actually hasn’t been bad for Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad