Value of: Penguins Impending UFA's Malkin, Letang, Rust (With Up to 50% Retention)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malkin has said he wants to go to Florida and only Florida, correct?

There are two stories about where Malkin would go:

1. There's this story, going way back: Evgeni Malkin's father claims Dallas Stars offered son big contract. When all of this happened, Malkin was coming off his MVP year and the window to extend his deal opened up. Ray Shero didn't want to give a NTC, and Malkin didn't want to sign a deal without one. I suspect Malkin talked to his friend Sergei Gonchar, who was playing for Dallas at the time, and Gonchar told him don't sign a deal you don't like and that a team like Dallas would give him anything he wanted back then if he ever hit free agency. He relays the story to dad, saying if he ever left he'd want the Rangers or Canadiens, not the Stars, and dad took the whole thing to mean there was an 'offer' for Dallas. Makes a lot more sense than Dallas tampering, no? BUT, anyway, this is where people get New York or Montreal from.

2. The other story is the Florida rumors a few years ago and people suggesting Malkin would waive to go there since he has a condo in Miami and his wife loves it there.

PERSONALLY-- and I'll let other Pens fans opine-- I think IF Malkin was willing to waive, then here's the list:

Definites: New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Florida Panthers
Perhaps: Boston Bruins, Tampa Bay Lightning

I think for anyone else, in the "Malkin is willing to waive" scenario, a harder sell would be involved.

EDIT: Still think the Minnesota Wild would be an interesting dark horse.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

1. There's this story, going way back: Evgeni Malkin's father claims Dallas Stars offered son big contract. When all of this happened, Malkin was coming off his MVP year and the window to extend his deal opened up. Ray Shero didn't want to give a NTC, and Malkin didn't want to sign a deal without one. I suspect Malkin talked to his friend Sergei Gonchar, who was playing for Dallas at the time, and Gonchar told him don't sign a deal you don't like and that a team like Dallas would give him anything he wanted back then if he ever hit free agency. He relays the story to dad, saying if he ever left he'd want the Rangers or Canadiens, not the Stars, and dad took the whole thing to mean there was an 'offer' for Dallas. Makes a lot more sense than Dallas tampering, no? BUT, anyway, this is where people get New York or Montreal from.

2. The other story is the Florida rumors a few years ago and people suggesting Malkin would waive to go there since he has a condo in Miami and his wife loves it there.

PERSONALLY-- and I'll let other Pens fans opine-- I think IF Malkin was willing to waive, then here's the list:

I think for anyone else, in the "Malkin is willing to waive" scenario, a harder sell would be involved.

Malkin has also talked up Montreal but they make no sense.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malkin has also talked up Montreal but they make no sense.

Yeah, why I didn't list them. He's not waiving for a team that does have a legit chance at the cup (i.e.. better than a bubble playoff team).

Tampa also isn't a fit. I just don't see a scenario how they could create the cap space.

Rangers and Bruins have the space and the need and are places I could see Malkin waiving if it came to it. I don't see the fit with the Islanders, but they definitely have the space and I'd think if Malkin is waiving for NY then the Isles would be an option.

IF the Panthers could make the dollars work (maybe adding another team to help retain more), then there's another destination, but I keep saying if Florida is shopping Pens impending UFA's, then Letang makes a lot more sense for them.

Minnesota has the Guerin connection and I could think of less alluring prospects than playing with Kaprizov. BUT, I'd think there would have to be a harder sell there.

Anyone else you can think of who meets the three criteria: need, cap space (or means to create cap space), and conceivable Malkin could waive or be persuaded to waive?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, why I didn't list them. He's not waiving for a team that does have a legit chance at the cup (i.e.. better than a bubble playoff team).

Tampa also isn't a fit. I just don't see a scenario how they could create the cap space.

Rangers and Bruins have the space and the need and are places I could see Malkin waiving if it came to it. I don't see the fit with the Islanders, but they definitely have the space and I'd think if Malkin is waiving for NY then the Isles would be an option.

IF the Panthers could make the dollars work (maybe adding another team to help retain more), then there's another destination, but I keep saying if Florida is shopping Pens impending UFA's, then Letang makes a lot more sense for them.

Minnesota has the Guerin connection and I could think of less alluring prospects than playing with Kaprizov. BUT, I'd think there would have to be a harder sell there.

Anyone else you can think of who meets the three criteria: need, cap space (or means to create cap space), and conceivable Malkin could waive or be persuaded to waive?

Depends how desperate things get, but Calgary and Vegas.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If they continue to win and it’s for a few months and the Pens are pushing the issue I can.

Not even if the Pens are pushing the issue. He'll say pick one of the other teams.

Still think the only way this ever happens is if the Pens are definitely out come January. In or on the bubble, and new deal or no, I think Malkin will decline to waive and opt instead for a last playoff hurrah with Sid.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
How much for Rust?

Oilers should be interested.

Purely guessing, but I'd think the price for Rust at 50% retained would be a 1st and a small add (or some other comparable value to that return).

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Purely guessing, but I'd think the price for Rust at 50% retained would be a 1st and a small add (or some other comparable value to that return).

Some kind of contract has to go back, just the reality of a cap world.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Some kind of contract has to go back, just the reality of a cap world.

Not from every team but understood that it would from the Oilers. Don't think that would be an issue if it were an expiring deal like Turris. Something like that what you had in mind as part of it? Turris plus futures?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Not from every team but understood that it would from the Oilers. Don't think that would be an issue if it were an expiring deal like Turris. Something like that what you had in mind as part of it? Turris plus futures?

Yup, I was thinking of a very short cap dump and some kind of futures. I like Rust, but the Oilers might be focused in the real world on a 3C, and an upgrade in goal (Koskinen) and perhaps a 2nd pairing LHD.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Trocheck + for Malkin to the Canes

That's actually an interesting one. Was thinking maybe Letang at 50% as others have mentioned because I didn't think Carolina would have interest in moving Trotchek in this type of deal. But, the numbers with 50% retention on Malkin work, and I could see it if Malkin, in the willing to waive scenario, were willing to expand the list a little.

What's the + you had in mind?

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I personally don't think Geno or Letang are leaving unless the Pens are in full tank mode. Attendance and TV viewership would decline by 50% if they're gone. New ownership will want to recoup some money on their investment.

Rust is a different story. If we're out of the playoffs at the TDL, he's fetching a 1st +.
Zucker would be gone too.
Probably (hopefully) Pettersson.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I personally don't think Geno or Letang are leaving unless the Pens are in full tank mode. Attendance and TV viewership would decline by 50% if they're gone. New ownership will want to recoup some money on their investment.

Rust is a different story. If we're out of the playoffs at the TDL, he's fetching a 1st +.
Zucker would be gone too.
Probably (hopefully) Pettersson.

The premise of the thread was that (a) the Pens are on the outside looking in come January and (b) make an organizational decision to move any impending UFA who they have not extended and anticipate they will not be able to extend.

It wasn't a comment on likelihood, I personally think Letang will price himself out and it's 50/50 on Malkin, but regardless the thread isn't to debate likelihood per se and instead is about potential matches and value IF it gets to the point of moving impending UFA's who are seen as pricing out.

Reactions: Night Shift

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
That's actually an interesting one. Was thinking maybe Letang at 50% as others have mentioned because I didn't think Carolina would have interest in moving Trotchek in this type of deal. But, the numbers with 50% retention on Malkin work, and I could see it if Malkin, in the willing to waive scenario, were willing to expand the list a little.

What's the + you had in mind?

not even sure what would be available in that plus. But Malkin would create a 2 headed monster for the playoffs for us.

picks and prospects not named Jarvis or Morrow, thinking 23 1st and Rees or Drury maybe?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
A bit of an unpopular sentiment over on F26, but I hope Carolina is on Letang, if made available. Upgrading Slavin’s pair with a RHD of that caliber and playoff pedigree is the type of move that could put the team over the top. Decently soft landing for him, too (in division and a former teammate wears the C).

Letang with Slavin and Carolina would be legitimately unfair. Cheat code level pairing.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
As a Jets fan I would definitely be interested in RUST. Does he PK for the Penguins at all? That would be an added bonus.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

LOL.... malkin only waives to Florida or Tampa. He would waive to Montrealnif they were a contender. Now having said that, if its a deadline thing and then sign if Florida after they may be other options. Colorado Vegas Rangers Washington seem reasonable.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Don't the Leafs already have Marner and Nylander ahead of Rust? That just seems like a lot of unnecessary spending to upgrade your third line.
That’s because it is

I wouldn’t mind adding Rust, but not paying that much for a rental winger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad