Value of: Penguins Impending UFA's Malkin, Letang, Rust (With Up to 50% Retention)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
The way the Jets are playing, they look like a potential contender to me. Forwards and goal are set, and their d is solid, but missing that clear cut number 1.

Letang for a first and good prospect? Jets have guys like Rashevsky, Lucuis, Samberg and Chibrikov as secondary prospects, but would probably balk at either Perfetti or Heinola for a rental. They would also probably have to throw someone in for cap reasons. Maybe Demelo?

Does some combination of those prospects and picks get something done?
From Chevy's previous deadline deals, I would think all the players you noted as possibilities from the Jets would be off limits for a rental. Plus Letang isn't waiving for Winnipeg and the Jets can't fit him in cap wise.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Letang being an upgrade doesnt justify the cost to acquire him when said upgrade is not needed.

Why would Malkin refuse a trade to Calgary but Letang wouldn't? Dont use that argument for 1 player and not the other.
For one letang has a modified no movement while malkin has a full no movement.
2. The actual cost to aquire at deadline is less than one might think.
3. Upgrade on D is absolutely needed. To get out the west means beating Vegas Colorado or Edmonton. Letang instantly becomes the 1/2 D on the flames. You can't under estimate that credential.
Malkin would have no want to go to western Canada especially when Florida would be a favorite and he has expressed this prior. Letang being Canadian may have more interest.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
See the key word there is upgrade, Bryan Rust would be an upgrade
Rust wouldn't be on the third line long in Toronto before he found himself playing in the top 6. Not saying he is bettwr than marner or Nylander but his winning pedigree and usefulness woukd push him up. Remember he is currently playing with Sidney crosby on the pens top line

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Rust wouldn't be on the third line long in Toronto before he found himself playing in the top 6. Not saying he is bettwr than marner or Nylander but his winning pedigree and usefulness woukd push him up. Remember he is currently playing with Sidney crosby on the pens top line

If Rust is in the top 6 it means Nylander has been switched to LW.

What would you want for Letang at 50%

Ledge And Dairy

For one letang has a modified no movement while malkin has a full no movement.
2. The actual cost to aquire at deadline is less than one might think.
3. Upgrade on D is absolutely needed. To get out the west means beating Vegas Colorado or Edmonton. Letang instantly becomes the 1/2 D on the flames. You can't under estimate that credential.
Malkin would have no want to go to western Canada especially when Florida would be a favorite and he has expressed this prior. Letang being Canadian may have more interest.
Im not complaining about Letang and I am not underestimating him. I am saying he is a lower deadline priority than adding to the forward core.

But humor me, you said he would cost less at the deadline, what would be your ask for him at 50% to Calgary, As iit stands right now Calgary is pretty deep at RD with Anderson and Tanev being legitimate top 4 dmen and then Gudbranson and Stone being reliable bottom pair guys. Only way I could see Calgary really going for Letang is if one of Tanev or Anderson is injured at the TLD

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
#1 Nylander can play either wing.

If you did keep Nylander on RW you'd have

Marner
Nylander
Rust
Kase on RW.

I don't know about you but I think that would be a pretty strong group at RW
You're talking about trading a 1st and a 2nd for an 'upgrade' on either the third line or one of the two lines the team already relies on to keep them in games.

Just pointing out how frivolous that idea sounds considering Toronto's problem is how top-heavy their roster make-up is and how weak their farm system is about to be a year or two from now.

Bryan Rust without the line support would be like reintroducing Kasperi Kapanen or Connor Brown to their bottom six. It'd be a nice addition, but hardly one that'd push the Leafs over the top. Then at the end of the year...poof...assets gone.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Rust is an obvious huge add to anyone looking to make a run. He would fit perfectly into the Oilers middle 6.

DazeHereToAmaze91

Nov 14, 2021
It would feel wrong seeing Malkin on another team. Also with his injury history there's a huge risk you'd lose that trade. He's going to cost an arm and a leg with 50% retention. I'd love him on the Rangers, I just don't see it happening though.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I could see Letang signing with Montreal in the summer. He is from here and Petry is probably on his way out. While Montreal looks real bad right now, they could be on the upswing next year with a rejuvenated Price, a high draft pick like Wright, and a wave of youngsters. It could give Letang a real nice end to his career, perhaps signing for 4 years with Montreal and chasing a Cup.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
If Rust is in the top 6 it means Nylander has been switched to LW.

What would you want for Letang at 50%
Rust would be indeal fot with marner and Matthews if they could offset it.

Letang will fetch a 1rst plus at the deadline if he doesn't resign.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Im not complaining about Letang and I am not underestimating him. I am saying he is a lower deadline priority than adding to the forward core.

But humor me, you said he would cost less at the deadline, what would be your ask for him at 50% to Calgary, As iit stands right now Calgary is pretty deep at RD with Anderson and Tanev being legitimate top 4 dmen and then Gudbranson and Stone being reliable bottom pair guys. Only way I could see Calgary really going for Letang is if one of Tanev or Anderson is injured at the TLD
Well like I told the leaf faithful who have interest in Letang price would start at a first plus. Iam not overly familiar with the flames prospects like the leafs so there is some wiggle room there .

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It would feel wrong seeing Malkin on another team. Also with his injury history there's a huge risk you'd lose that trade. He's going to cost an arm and a leg with 50% retention. I'd love him on the Rangers, I just don't see it happening though.

I'm not sure he'd cost an arm and a leg at 50% retention

Letang certainly would, because 3.6125M for a legit #1 defenseman who would be a monster upgrade to pretty much any team's top 4 . . .

BUT, here's the thing to consider with Malkin:

1. IF he is available for trade, it's because he and the team have decided there's no extension to be done and the alternative to trading him is that they most likely lose him for nothing over the summer. I suspect that Malkin likely won't waive, even if there's no extension to be done, if the Pens are in the top 8 come January (or perhaps even right on the bubble). If, however, the Pens are out and look like crap and everyone decides there's no deal to be done, then that's pretty much the scenario where he hits the market.

2. IF Malkin hits the market, then you've got 3 more variables at play: One, the acquiring team needs to be able to add a 4.75M cap hit prorated. Two, the acquiring team needs to be one for which Malkin will waive. Three, the acquiring team needs to be willing to gamble on Malkin's knee. In the most expansive situation, as a Pens fan, I can't see Malkin waiving for more than 6-8 teams, and I suspect at most 2-3 of them will be able to absorb the hit. Limited demand dictates the return won't be "an arm and a leg". Plus, with the knee gamble, it's possible some or all suitors will want to condition picks on his health and/or how far they advance in the playoffs.

NOW, this is where some Pens fans will say "well, if it's not good enough, we'll keep him". To which I reiterate that the only way Malkin hits the market is (a) if they're going to lose him for nothing in the summer and quite probably (b) the Pens are far enough out in January that Malkin is open to waiving (where, if they were in or close enough, he might prefer one last playoff hurrah).

Maybe I'm nuts, BUT I suspect if Letang, Malkin, and Rust hit the open market, then

Letang is the guy who the Pens get an "arm and a leg" for

Malkin gets you a first and a (not elite) prospect and maybe another conditional pick type of value

Rust gets you a first and a small add type of value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad