Value of: Penguins Impending UFA's Malkin, Letang, Rust (With Up to 50% Retention)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
IF they hit the trade market, values of:

Malkin at 4.75M
Letang at 3.6125M
Rust at 1.75M

Preface: I'm a Penguins fan. As much fun as it to do "(insert winger) to the Penguins" or "Penguins sell everyone" threads and as improbable as "Crosby to (insert team)" threads are, perhaps the biggest question facing the Penguins, in terms of personnel management, is how to approach their three impending UFA's Malkin, Letang, and Rust. New ownership? Time for a rebuilt? Let's stipulate that the Penguins have numbers in mind for re-signing all three players. Let's say that none of Malkin, Letang, and Rust are willing to sign extensions before the trade deadline. Let's stipulate that the Penguins make an organizational decision to move any UFA who has not extended before the trade deadline (if the Pens are on the outside looking in, IMHO it's more likely than not, and if they're on the bubble, it's still possible). In this scenario, what is the market for each player with up to 50% retention?

NOTE: Malkin has a full NMC. In this scenario, one would have to be able to say "if Malkin is willing to waive, he'd be willing to waive for (insert location and team)" . . . e.g., I think the Rangers would be one for which he'd waive if, in fact, he were open to waiving in general.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I doubt it. If the Pens are out of the playoffs, why would he stay with PIT?

I certainly could see Malkin waiving to play in New York (either team) or Florida. MAYBE Boston, because I think he respects the franchise and likes the city. Yeah, if the Pens are out, he'll give Hextall at least an option or two, perhaps more.

And, as an aside, I'm not sure after this year 'Penguins or Russia' is the given some people may think it is. I mean, if nobody will offer him anything or his only options for decent money are bottom feeders, then sure, it's probably Penguins or Russia. But, to my knowledge as a Pens (and Malkin) fan, he's always liked New York and he and his wife love and have a home in Miami.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Ugh, I would love to put Kucherov and Malkin together, but we just don't have the cap to move that I'd be comfortable with for a rental (great a rental as it'd be). Malkin is also a known Bolt-killer. :cry:

Reactions: KIRK

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Wonder if Zito (FLA) would chase Letang, him and Forsling would make an interesting combo.

Would be really weird to see any of these guys in another sweater but as an outsider, imo, Crosby will want to chase one more Cup but is it with PIT?

Feel Malkin could chase a 4-5yr deal elsewhere.
Letang could command a fair bit of attention if he goes to free agency.

Tough call for sure but it may be time to cash in now and build for future.
3 years can change so much for a team/franchise.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If I remember right, one of Malkins relatives a few years back said he’d play in New York or Dallas. Could see the stars trying to make it work

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Kings would be interest in Letang if there in the race for playoffs at deadline. Whats the ask?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
This is a dangerous thread, since we know Benning is looking around here for ideas and about to go scorched earth in Vancouver. How many complete years worth of draft picks for all three? 3? 4? He might do 5 to "get it done".

Reactions: dukeofjive

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Wonder if Zito (FLA) would chase Letang, him and Forsling would make an interesting combo.

Would be really weird to see any of these guys in another sweater but as an outsider, imo, Crosby will want to chase one more Cup but is it with PIT?

Feel Malkin could chase a 4-5yr deal elsewhere.
Letang could command a fair bit of attention if he goes to free agency.

Tough call for sure but it may be time to cash in now and build for future.
3 years can change so much for a team/franchise.
I would absolutely love Letang, but we can't part with the pieces for him, and we also have nowhere to put yet another RHD.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Rust to Edmonton or Toronto makes sense.
Zucker back to minny
Dumo to west coast
Letang to Calgary
Demsith for any pick
Pens keep Jake Kapanen sid marino jarry ( unfortunately).
Malkin is given the option

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
A bit of an unpopular sentiment over on F26, but I hope Carolina is on Letang, if made available. Upgrading Slavin’s pair with a RHD of that caliber and playoff pedigree is the type of move that could put the team over the top. Decently soft landing for him, too (in division and a former teammate wears the C).

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Rust to Edmonton or Toronto makes sense.
Zucker back to minny
Dumo to west coast
Letang to Calgary
Demsith for any pick
Pens keep Jake Kapanen sid marino jarry ( unfortunately).
Malkin is given the option
Why Dumoulin to the west coast? He's from Maine so I wouldn't be surprised if he'd like to stay close (and by close I mean anywhere on the east coast).

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I doubt it. If the Pens are out of the playoffs, why would he stay with PIT?

They haven't missed the playoffs in the Crosby/Malkin era - and they won't this year.

The fact that they're having a bad start to the season just means one of Crosby/Malkin is more likely than usual to end up a hart finalist this year, as they'll have to carry their team back to contention. Win/win if you're a Pens fan

Reactions: Puck You Too

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Ugh, I would love to put Kucherov and Malkin together, but we just don't have the cap to move that I'd be comfortable with for a rental (great a rental as it'd be). Malkin is also a known Bolt-killer. :cry:
How many guys do you f***ing need?

Kuch, Point, Stammer, Hedman, Vasilevsky, and now Geno?

That would be hockey’s version of the 2017 Golden State Warriors

Reactions: Edgy

The Left Shark

Jul 27, 2021
How many guys do you f***ing need?

Kuch, Point, Stammer, Hedman, Vasilevsky, and now Geno?

That would be hockey’s version of the 2017 Golden State Warriors
More like the 2019 Warriors where half the team was hurt. Kuch, Stamkos and Geno are great talents, but they've proven they can't stay healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad