Confirmed with Link: Penguins Agree To Terms With Matt Cullen (1 year | $800k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Did Sundqvist just become expendable to be packaged?

I would be shocked. Sundqvist is a pretty unique prospect for the Pens. A large, aggressive, defensively-responsible forward with offensive potential? He is not a blue-chipper or anything, but he is a valuable piece moving forward.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Really wish JR would dump some dead weight salary to give the roster some cap flexibility this season. Come on, Kunitz and/or Scuderi can't be that difficult to get rid of, can they?

Not trying to be a smart ass but just want to state the obvious, he just picked up more dead weight with this signing.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have faith in IC's sources that the plan is to move some dead weight before training camp. Waiting sucks, but I think we will have some relief by September.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't think it has much to do with Sundqvist's future either. Teams just aren't as quick to hand spots to unproven players as fans want to be. Cullen serves as a stopgap while Fehr is out injured or while Sundqvist gets more adjusted to the North American game in WBS.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Not trying to be a smart ass but just want to state the obvious, he just picked up more dead weight with this signing.

Cullen may wash up this season, but he wasn't last year. You have no basis to make that statement.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think it has much to do with Sundqvist's future either. Teams just aren't as quick to hand spots to unproven players as fans want to be. Cullen serves as a stopgap while Fehr is out injured or while Sundqvist gets more adjusted to the North American game in WBS.

I see it as this as well.

Cullen, for however old he is, put up 39pts and then 25pts and is still a 54+% faceoff man, the guy is a beast at the draw, never dipping below 51% since 2008. I mean, he still has wheels, is a tenacious player and what more can you want at that price? It lets Sundqvist ease into everything in the AHL first and Fehr take his time healing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I see it as this as well.

Cullen, for however old he is, put up 39pts and then 25pts and is still a 54+% faceoff man, the guy is a beast at the draw, never dipping below 51% since 2008. I mean, he still has wheels, is a tenacious player and what more can you want at that price? It lets Sundqvist ease into everything in the AHL first and Fehr take his time healing.

or potentially, it lets us trade Kunitz with Sundqvist still being our 12th forward. Which could be fantastic.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, Cullen will either not be washed up and be a useful 4th liner or he'll be our dirt cheap veteran healthy scratch in the press box. Not much downside to that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If he can still skate like what I saw from my limited viewings last year, he's a huge upgrade in that department. Our bottom six needed that.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
If he can still skate like what I saw from my limited viewings last year, he's a huge upgrade in that department. Our bottom six needed that.

Last year, winning faceoffs was a problem.

This year, the Pens added 2 very good faceoff guys and Sid will rebound in that regard, Bonino isn't terrible either but he's not good, hovering from 43-48% his entire career.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Last year, winning faceoffs was a problem.

This year, the Pens added 2 very good faceoff guys and Sid will rebound in that regard, Bonino isn't terrible either but he's not good, hovering from 43-48% his entire career.

I'm just happy we have another guy on top of Fehr that can take tough D zone draws. That should mean less FO's and hard miles on Sid. All of this depth should mean we get a fresher Sid and Geno in the playoffs, and maybe even longer, more productive careers out of them.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I REALLY can't say. It would betray my source

You can
Extrapolate
Something from this post, though.

I see what you're saying. Unless, of course, you're just a poet who loves free verse.

The interesting thing was the question he quoted was about Crosby. Hopefully the original questioner was being sarcastic and IC too. :laugh:

Trade Scuderi, that'll be plenty thanks.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm just happy we have another guy on top of Fehr that can take tough D zone draws. That should mean less FO's and hard miles on Sid. All of this depth should mean we get a fresher Sid and Geno in the playoffs, and maybe even longer, more productive careers out of them.

Good point. Fehr can take D zone draws on the right, Cullen on the left. That'll give us some pretty strong possession numbers. It saves Sid for the important offensive zone draws.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
This is a great sign. This is a guy we normally target at deadlines and lose assets. Toronto does bargain signings every year and those players are covered at the deadline. Not saying we'll be trading him, but we won't be trading FOR him. (*cough* Winnik *cough*)
This is where I'm at as well with this. Worst case scenario is that he's completely fallen off, in which you case you move him down to the A. If he's merely serviceable, you make a habit of carrying him as a healthy scratch. Should definitely get some games off regardless, at his age.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
With the roster as currently constructed, Erixon as the 8th D and Farnham as the 13th forward, the Pens have $400k in cap space with this roster:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Kessel
Bonino-Fehr-Dupuis
Plotnikov-Cullen-Bennett (Arrange the lines however you'd like, these are our 12 forwards when healthy.)
Farnham

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Dumoulin-Cole
Scuderi-Erixon

Fleury
Zatkoff

$405,001 in cap space to be exact. That is plenty with a 23 man roster. Would still love to see Scuderi go and replaced with someone cheaper so we can bank some pro-rated cap space for the deadline.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

No matter how bad Cullen ends up being (if he ends up being bad, that is), I'd hardly call a guy making $800k and only signed for one year a dead weight contract. Kunitz and Scuderi are dead weight not only because of their yearly salary (cap hit), but they also still have term on their deal after this season.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
No matter how bad Cullen ends up being (if he ends up being bad, that is), I'd hardly call a guy making $800k and only signed for one year a dead weight contract. Kunitz and Scuderi are dead weight not only because of their yearly salary (cap hit), but they also still have term on their deal after this season.

Exactly, not sure how this can even remotely be called a dead weight signing.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
or potentially, it lets us trade Kunitz with Sundqvist still being our 12th forward. Which could be fantastic.

Could be, but it does not hurt this team to wait it out with Sundqvist, I see that kid as incredibly motivated to play in the NHL asap and if he is sent down, I think it'd be maybe 20 or so games until he's making it hard to keep him in the AHL. Until then, there's some seriously solid depth if we get past our own personal dislike for certain players.

When healthy, we're looking at what?

Perron, Crosby, Kessel
Plotnikov, Malkin, Hornqvist
Kunitz, Bonino, Bennett
Cullen, Fehr, Dupuis

I'm a little excited for the NHL to start asap.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

Serious question, at that cap hit, looking at Cullen the last 5yrs, would you say he's been bad?

I can't, I honestly can't. That cap hit is phenomenal for the versatility he brings to that 4th line and the ability to be a damn good faceoff man on the PK.

The team has 2 solid options there now with Fehr and Cullen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad