Confirmed with Link: Penguins Agree To Terms With Matt Cullen (1 year | $800k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dePENSonFleury

May 24, 2004
The message that I get with that list DK put out (Perron, Kunitz, Dupuis) is Plotnikov is certain to be with Malkin. One of DK's three will be your 1st liner with Crosby and the other two will be 3rd and 4th. Funny how Plotnikov is never mentioned as a 3rd line option.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Cullen is a guy who could miss ~20 games easily (basing that just on age and latest season, not specific injury). I think just based on the natural rate of things, there will still be opportunities for youth on the bottom six.

Last edited:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
To be fair, this is sort of how he built his 06 winner. Not a lot of natural fits for X line so much as just a collection of quality forwards that the coach is supposed to figure out what to do with. Don't remember how many centers were on that club, but it was quite a bit more than 4 (Williams was a center by trade at the time...I think Cole and Whitney might have been as well...so that's Staal, Brind'amour, Weight, Williams, Cullen, maybe Cole and Whitney...probably forgetting someone).

I just find it odd that DK (or Yohe, I didn't click the link) is reporting something different than what Rutherford said a week ago.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I just find it odd that DK (or Yohe, I didn't click the link) is reporting something different than what Rutherford said a week ago.

Rutherford's a talker. Guy at the poker table who says what his cards are. Are they his cards? Sometimes.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The lineup is Yohe guessing. Way too many question marks at this point.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Really wish JR would dump some dead weight salary to give the roster some cap flexibility this season. Come on, Kunitz and/or Scuderi can't be that difficult to get rid of, can they?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/2015/08/06/three-questions-the-cullen-signing/#axzz3i3mEmPQl

I just can't assume, even with Fehr on LITR, they go into parts of the season with such little cap space id everyone is healthy. One of the $3 Million trio (Kuni, Duper, Scuds) Has to go.
It's really not an issue. They'd have anywhere between $100-300k in space with a full 23-man roster. That's an extra forward and two extra D men, and those extras are likely to be guys who are either easily moved between AHL/NHL or guys who you can risk losing on waivers if need be.

And that's without anyone on LTIR. So Fehr will go on LTIR and they can call up someone else.

They're fine. Would it be nice to have more space to add a better 4th defenseman? Sure. But they can wait until the deadline.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Cullen at least gives them another guy who can win face offs on the PK, his PK time dropped with Gaustad and Fisher ahead of him with Nashville, but he logged a decent amount of time with Minnesota.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Seriously anyone complaining about this needs to get a grip. This isnt a craig adams who blows at hockey and will take a better players spot. This is a legit 3c that will be on our 4th line and happy to do so. Whats the worst problem this could cause? Too many good healthy players that it pushes sundqvist to the ahl?

Not to mention the obvious that this team is never healthy and a handful of our forwards have big question marks? Dupuis health? Is kunitz done? Is bennett any good? Does plotnikov adapt? Not to mention the obvious... Is sundqvist any good, like at all.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Really wish JR would dump some dead weight salary to give the roster some cap flexibility this season. Come on, Kunitz and/or Scuderi can't be that difficult to get rid of, can they?

Scuderi definitely is, lbr, that **** is nigh impossible and he probably stopped their one chance. Kunitz has to be movable, it's that they might not like the return. Maybe hope he starts hot to trick people and trade him before Fehr comes back, but we all know the Pens would get tricked. If Kunitz starts the season like garbage then we drink. If Kunitz finishes the season here and like garbage then we drink.

We need to brainstorm drinks for Scuderi and Kunitz.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

giphy.gif

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
Time to deal Scuderi with Bennett for a low pick. Use that cap room and trade for a defensemen that can actually play top 4

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not thrilled about Cullen based on his age but there's zero risk and a chance for a moderate reward. He's the kind of guy we might be looking for at the deadline for depth anyway so might as well get him now and keep the assets.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Despite his age, he's still a good NHL player that can do alot of little things well.

He took over C duties in the playoffs when Fisher went down and Nashville didn't miss a beat.

Good depth signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad