Salary Cap: Penguins 2014-15 roster building discussion III (Contract/free agent chart in Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Shero*

Agree Ogre, if he plays in the top 6 fine, but we shouldn't go into the season with him guaranteed a top 6 spot.

I hope the days of well he is our only option are over. I will give Bennett of the doubt, but he clearly should have just had the surgery in February because he was utterly useless in the playoffs.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Just think:
Kunitz - Crosby - Pavelski
Kulemin - Malkin - Burns
Bennett - Sutter - Dupuis

I would touch myself if we had that lineup.

Kunitz-Crosby-Burns
Kulemin-Malkin-Pavelski
Dupuis-Sutter-Bennett

I would explode.

I am still unsure about Bennett. I think him in the Top 6 should be Plan C or D. I would not be opposed to sending him away for someone like E Kane.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Agree Ogre, if he plays in the top 6 fine, but we shouldn't go into the season with him guaranteed a top 6 spot.

I hope the days of well he is our only option are over. I will give Bennett of the doubt, but he clearly should have just had the surgery in February because he was utterly useless in the playoffs.

He was really good against Columbus. He was less good against New York certainly. He was better than Glass and Adams even at his worst. Not that that's a real compliment, but he deserved to be playing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Come on, Kulemin was a Shero winger because was incapable of signing a true top 6 forward. We are going to hire a solid GM that would laugh at the notion of playing Nikolai Kulemin playing with Geno.

I would prefer to get someone like Hemsky and bump Kunitz down with Geno to play the Kulemin role. But I do still think Kulemin is a solid plan B/C option. He and Bennett fighting for the 4th top 6 spot isn't the worst thing in the world; though obviously it depends who is on Geno's other wing.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would prefer to get someone like Hemsky and bump Kunitz down with Geno to play the Kulemin role. But I do still think Kulemin is a solid plan B/C option. He and Bennett fighting for the 4th top 6 spot isn't the worst thing in the world; though obviously it depends who is on Geno's other wing.

I think Kulemin is a win-win signing. Works with Geno, awesome. Doesn't, solid 3rd liner on a shutdown line. I don't see a down side.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If we could deal Kunitz for a young NHL ready player who can upgrade our bottom six and has the upside to be more, I'd definitely look to pick up Kule. He'll still be useful in a top 9 role long after Kunitz is nearly done in this league. And he just might hit his stride with Geno. But I'm sure that will make most of this board roll their eyes. B/c points are all that matter in hockey.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Come on, Kulemin was a Shero winger because was incapable of signing a true top 6 forward. We are going to hire a solid GM that would laugh at the notion of playing Nikolai Kulemin playing with Geno.

The only way I would want Kulemin with Geno is if their left-winger is someone like Marian Gaborik.

And those two alone will be mega-bucks expensive.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The only way I would want Kulemin with Geno is if their left-winger is someone like Marian Gaborik.

And those two alone will be mega-bucks expensive.

How about signing Kule after dealing Kunitz? I know how you o so want the old vets gone. :laugh:

mr sidney crosby

May 13, 2012
Pittsburgh
What would it take to get Byfuglien and kane to pittsburgh? I'd play Byfuglien at forward and not defense because of all the promising young defensman we have in our system. Neal and Letang for Byfuglien and Kane?

Kane-Crosby-Byfuglien
Kulemin-Malkin-Kunitz
Bennett-Sutter-Dupuis
Sill-Boyle-Vitale

Martin-Despres
Niskanen-Maatta
Bortuzzo-Pouliot

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Tyler Toffoli would be a good start, hes a good young winger on a ELC, hes the type of player the pens need.

I doubt the Kings will let Toffoli go, especially if he has a strong finish to the playoffs. Haven't been paying much attention to the Kings in the playoffs so far but good teams generally don't let F with decent upside (and who are still going to be relatively cheap) go. They wait until the player is more established and asks for too much money. :laugh:

Lets say the pens hire Brisson, Kane has 1 year left on his deal, Brisson is his agent, i can dream right?

Some of you seem to be missing the obvious. If the Pens hire Brisson to be a GM, he is officially out of the player agent business. By definition. It's a conflict of interest. The league would never let that stand AFAIK. All those guys will get new agents. Maybe still in Brisson's old firm (I don't know how many agents they have there), but Brisson will be out of that loop.

But in any case the last thing you should be dreaming about, is an Agent-turned-GM, who really has little qualification to run an entire NHL organization. Brisson should be pretty far down everyone's list, if you care about this team.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
just out of curiosity, what path should someone take to become a GM? You have to be something else before you can be a GM, right?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Some of you seem to be missing the obvious. If the Pens hire Brisson to be a GM, he is officially out of the player agent business. By definition. It's a conflict of interest. The league would never let that stand AFAIK. All those guys will get new agents. Maybe still in Brisson's old firm (I don't know how many agents they have there), but Brisson will be out of that loop.

But in any case the last thing you should be dreaming about, is an Agent-turned-GM, who really has little qualification to run an entire NHL organization. Brisson should be pretty far down everyone's list, if you care about this team.

I'm not advocating for or against Brisson, but I don't know you how can just flat out say that he doesn't have the qualification to be a GM.

Not to be rude, but I don't think I fan can make that statement without having any actual information on how connected to the league someone is.

He is highly respected and was in consideration for GM jobs in the past that he declined. Clearly multiple people who know better than you and I do think he's qualified.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Brisson strikes me as someone who would do this:

Secretary: Mr Adams, Mr Brisson is ready to see you.
Craig: Why, thank you Miss.
Brisson: Craig, thanks for stopping by, please have a seat.
Craig: Why thanks! Did you know I went to Harv...
Brisson: Wait, I was just kidding. Please get the **** out of my Office. You are fired.
Craig: But... but... Mr Brisson...
Brisson: I'm sorry, I was kidding again, we actually traded you to Siberia in the KHL. Now get the **** out of my Office, or I am calling Security.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
I'm not advocating for or against Brisson, but I don't know you how can just flat out say that he doesn't have the qualification to be a GM.

Not to be rude, but I don't think I fan can make that statement without having any actual information on how connected to the league someone is.

He is highly respected and was in consideration for GM jobs in the past that he declined. Clearly multiple people who know better than you and I do think he's qualified.

I'm with DV in that I'd rather have someone with some front office experience on the GM side to step in. You just don't know what you're going to get with Brisson in regards to drafting, trading, etc.

Then again, he has a lot of contacts because as a player's agent, you do have to be in the same loop with scouts and GMs. And he can certainly negotiate.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I know the Kane thing is a pipe dream DV, but i guess my point was since Brisson is currently his agent they probably have a good relationship, maybe Brisson would be able to recruit Kane to Pgh.

As far as Brisson goes, when i first heard it i hated it, i guess i'v warmed up to it a little bit, i don't know if he would be a good GM, but i don't know if any of these assistant GM would be any good either.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I'm with DV in that I'd rather have someone with some front office experience on the GM side to step in. You just don't know what you're going to get with Brisson in regards to drafting, trading, etc.

Then again, he has a lot of contacts because as a player's agent, you do have to be in the same loop with scouts and GMs. And he can certainly negotiate.

It's one thing to say you have a preference and another to declare that someone is unqualified and should be far down on everyone's list.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I assume all player agents are either exactly like Jerry Maguire or Jay Mohr from Jerry Maguire. Which one is Brisson?

I've heard he's more like Ari Gold super agent. Without as much vulgarity I imagine.

If he can break the "Crosby's agent" label in coming here, I'm cool with it. Being cut throat with this roster including Crosby's best buds Kunitz and Dupuis would go a long way towards breaking that label I'd imagine.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
just out of curiosity, what path should someone take to become a GM? You have to be something else before you can be a GM, right?

You asking me?

If so, Answer: Yes. Examples: Assistant GM for some other NHL team, Director of Player Personnel for some other NHL Team, General Manager for Minor League team, etc etc. Bad example: guy whose job it is to represent players and get them big contracts and not much else. Possibly some scouting skills but that's about it. Worst possible candidate? No. Pretty far down the list? Yes.

I'm not advocating for or against Brisson, but I don't know you how can just flat out say that he doesn't have the qualification to be a GM. .

See above. Until someone can show me where Brisson ran some type of hockey team at some respectable level (college, CHL, whatever), I'm not going to buy into the idea that he's qualified. This would be a guy who gets the job becauseof connections, not because he's shown success in running a hockey club and all that same entails.

I would take a guy like Jim Benning (successful Asst. GM to a good team) 365 Days a Year over someone like Brisson. It's not even close. So as long as that type of guy is available, you go for those guys. That is if Mario and Burkle have their priorities straight.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
See above. Until someone can show me where Brisson ran some type of hockey team at some respectable level (college, CHL, whatever), I'm not going to buy into the idea that he's qualified. This would be a guy who gets the job becauseof connections, not because he's shown success in running a hockey club and all that same entails.

I would take Jim Benning 365 Days a Year over someone like Brisson. It's not even close. So as long as that type of guy is available, you go for those guys. That is if Mario and Burkle have their priorities straight.

I don't think multiple franchises would consider him for the position if he wasn't qualified.

Just because you would prefer someone else doesn't mean that you should completely dismiss this guy.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I would take a guy like Jim Benning (successful Asst. GM to a good team) 365 Days a Year over someone like Brisson. It's not even close. So as long as that type of guy is available, you go for those guys. That is if Mario and Burkle have their priorities straight.

You'd obviously make him go through a hell of an interview process where he has to run through a boatload of GM scenarios. I'll go to what I know in teaching. I know first and second year teachers who are far more effective than those who have been doing it for years.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
So maybe I'm not understanding something, but why exactly would more of this board want Burns over Kesler? Looked at some of the stats.

Kesler's labeled as injury prone. And yet he's only missed 5 more games than Burns since Burns was moved to forward the last two years. And Kesler's been the healthier player of the two before then.

Production? Kesler put up 25 goals playing much of the season with 3rd liners. Burns had similar production playing with Thornton.

Burns is all of 5 months younger. And signed for only one more season than Kesler.

People don't want Kesler b/c he's more of a natural center. Yet he played at a high level this year at wing. And Burns is now moving back to defense. SJ fans are even saying Burns can't keep up his level of play at wing for a full season into the playoffs. Kesler has shown in the past he can. Playing a similar Kamikaze style around the net, hard RHS and top tier defense.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Especially when people are talking about moving Letang for Burns. When just a couple months ago, we were close to landing Kesler for Sutter+D prospect+1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad