Post-Game Talk: Penguins - 2 Oilers - 0 - Yay?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
MAF is the mvp of the team. Such a strong year. If he carries this to the postseason, I'll be happy. At the same time I could see people using him as a scapegoat when we are hemmed in our own zone for countless minutes and teams score.

MAF is by far a huge bright spot so far. People should at least enjoy that.

RIP your quotes ...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kunitz does the same thing playing on his natural wing. And looks like ass to boot.

Yeah, but Beau made Sutter look like ass. Plus, have you forgotten what Chris Kunitz did in the first two rounds of the 2009 playoffs and that Sid babysits or used to babysit his kids?

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I don't think a Sid-Kunitz combo would be worse off with Horny than Perron, since clearly Kunitz MUST be Sid's LW. I do think Geno would be better off on Geno's LW than Horny is on Geno's RW.

That complaint someone referenced, how Perron on the LW as a passer slows Sid down, would be why he'd work well on the LW with Geno.

Hey, that someone was me!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, but Beau made Sutter look like ass. Plus, have you forgotten what Chris Kunitz did in the first two rounds of the 2009 playoffs and that Sid babysits or used to babysit his kids?

Good point.

Exemption: Granted.

penguins2946*

That's going a bit far Kirk. Arco isn't AHL fodder. He's a playable bottom sixer. He shouldn't be near Malkin. He's playable though.

He's just one of those guys that's just kinda there. Not gonna hurt you but not gonna do much for you either. He's not a Boychuk or Tangradi who are actively terrible.

That's what I'm saying. He's being unfairly judged because he's being forced onto a line with Malkin and they're scratching Bennett for him. He's a small bottom-6 forward/extra forward with playmaking talent. Him not being a top-6 forward doesn't make him a beer league scrub.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
As for Arcobello.. This is what he is. Some flashes but otherwise very weak. The effort was there because he played in EDM but he´s not a good hockey player. It was obvious that he´s just not. Anyway, he´s just a stopgap on that 2nd line, so whatever..

Funny thing is, we keep picking up these guys, guys who are waiver fodder with **** teams, and in Pittsburgh they're 'good' with Malkin. Arcobello. Klink before him. The list goes on and on.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
MAF is the mvp of the team. Such a strong year. If he carries this to the postseason, I'll be happy. At the same time I could see people using him as a scapegoat when we are hemmed in our own zone for countless minutes and teams score.

We're actually much much better at puck possession this year. 12th in Fenwick versus 21st last year.

I still think a ton of things are disjointed and wrong with this team still - lines, PP, coaching personnel decisions - but our system and ability to maintain puck control is vastly better than last year. It's not even close.

So remember that however frustrated you get, MJ and JR are doing better than Shero/Bylsma. So there's that.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Kunitz does the same thing playing on his natural wing. And looks like ass to boot.

But Kuni is past the age where he can learn from watching . . . :sarcasm:

MJ isn't the first and won't be the last professional coach to bench a young struggling player with lots of potential and keep playing deadwood veterans like 27, 14, etc. I've seen it so many times, it's doesn't bother me anymore.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
-Oilers are so bad it was almost unbearable to watch
-their uniforms are even worse. ugh
-Pens anemic offense for only scoring 2 goals

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That's going a bit far Kirk. Arco isn't AHL fodder. He's a playable bottom sixer. He shouldn't be near Malkin. He's playable though.

He's just one of those guys that's just kinda there. Not gonna hurt you but not gonna do much for you either. He's not a Boychuk or Tangradi who are actively terrible.

Nashville waived him.

Edmonton waived him before that. Nobody wanted him. Then they traded him for Derek Roy for numbers reasons.

That's not a playable bottom sixer.

EDIT: Except in Pittsburgh, apparently.

penguins2946*

On Arcobello, it really doesn't matter because he's not going to be playing when we're healthy. Even if they're idiots and scratch Bennett, he won't be in the lineup. He's probably going to go back on waivers when we trade for another forward.

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
It's hard to take you seriously when you're saying crap like that. We get it, you're pissed that he's playing on the 2nd line over Bennett. That doesn't make him some beer league scrub. He wasn't bad tonight.

Yes, 1 bad shift eliminated the rest of the game where he was decent.

Not really, there's 3 guys that could be playing in the NHL that aren't because of MJ and JR's personnel decisions.

He coughed up the on atleast 4 different plays where we would have had a scoring chances because he was overwhelmed with the speed of genos game. Sure he had a couple of good scoring chances but he didnt work for them, he was just there when both d were on Geno.

3 guys that could be playing if it weren't for shero's/bylsma's/johnston's pet sadams.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You guys think BB will play next game??

Assuming he's not traded by then, I could see him getting one last shot with Sutter and Downie, with Spaling sliding up with Malkin and Horny.

penguins2946*

He coughed up the on atleast 4 different plays where we would have had a scoring chances because he was overwhelmed with the speed of genos game. Sure he had a couple of good scoring chances but he didnt work for them, he was just there when both d were on Geno.

Again, you're criticizing him because he was thrusted into a role he shouldn't be playing. That's exactly my point, people are saying he was bad because he was scratched for Bennett and didn't play well in a top-6 role. He's not a top-6 forward, he's a bottom-6er/extra forward. Nothing more.

3 guys that could be playing if it weren't for shero's/bylsma's/johnston's pet sadams.

And that was my point. You really can't criticize Shero's forward drafting record with stating there are 0 players drafted by Shero in the lineup tonight when we have 3 that should be in the lineup and aren't because of MJ and JR.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Assuming he's not traded by then, I could see him getting one last shot with Sutter and Downie, with Spaling sliding up with Malkin and Horny.

That's a great way to help a struggling player, keep playing him on his off-wing. :shakehead

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/2015/02/01/yohe-beau-bennett-on-his-benching/#axzz3Qq7pLobj

He's playing on the perimeter and turning the puck over too much. Jesus. People need to quit acting like this is an Agatha Christie novel.

Hey the coach can scratch him (or anyone else) all they want. I'm not in the room I have no idea what's going on internally. I just wanted to know if he got scratched because he wasn't playing well or not.

He's not a kid anymore so if he was scratched for Kane type stuff I would be disappointed. That was why I asked.

Thanks for the link, I feel better having read it.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You just need to understand . . . La Familia > Le Stanley, no matter how many French Canadians this team acquires.

I'm pretty sure that if we trade for one more Francophone, we can co-opt the Habs' Cup wins and hang their banners from the Consol rafters.

That's like winning 24 Cups in one year.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Bennett thing really is perplexing. He's too valuable an asset to scratch. Scratching him not only deprives of his talent which we need but also drives down his value in the event that they want to trade him. It's lose/lose.

If it's just teaching him a lesson, what's the lesson? Beau will never be a hard nosed go to the net type player. He's a skill guy that plays with a slight edge. You can't turn him into something he's not. Vancouver is trying that with Kassian and it's not working. We tried that with Tangradi and it never worked. Players are what they are. You either fit their style into your structure or move them. Very few players can completely change their style to be something else than what they are.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Again, you're criticizing him because he was thrusted into a role he shouldn't be playing. That's exactly my point, people are saying he was bad because he was scratched for Bennett and didn't play well in a top-6 role. He's not a top-6 forward, he's a bottom-6er/extra forward. Nothing more.

And that was my point. You really can't criticize Shero's forward drafting record with stating there are 0 players drafted by Shero in the lineup tonight when we have 3 that should be in the lineup and aren't because of MJ and JR.

So, you're saying that Bennett, Rust, and Wilson prove that Shero did a good job drafting forwards, something that would be proven if only JR and MJ would use them. Okay then, moving on to your points about Pouliot tonight. :help:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Roster desperately needs skill in the top 9. Kunitz, Horny, Spaling, Downie, Arcobello(lol). These aren't skill guys.

Thats why this roster is missing Bennett(playing well) and the Comeau we saw before he went down. Both are atleast capable of filling the skill holes in this lineup on Geno and Sutter's lines and make this roster as dangerous as it can be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad