Post-Game Talk: Penguins - 2 Oilers - 0 - Yay?

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Penguins record when Beau Bennett is a healthy scratch: 2-0

I like that Perron doesn't have any compunction about standing under the hoop, but if there's going to be a guy in the slot or circles, he's far, far better suited to that than 14 is at this point.

You weren't told that Kunitz can snipe like Neal?

If Sid wants his RW just driving to the net while Sid and the Left Wing play tag, I wouldn't mind seeing DP with Geno and 72 back with 87. Hornqvist is a more natural fit for what his line has Perron doing.

I would rather they ruffle Sid's feathers and move Kunitz to the 3rd line, and force Sid out of his comfort zone, to adapt his game to be patient with a skilled player like Perron (like Hossa).

I don't see Johnston having the courage to do that, but I agree as they stand (and as I said after the trade immediately ...back pat) Perron's skill set would be great with Geno. And I also don't trust Sid's comfort zone of having 2 net crashers on his wings.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Pretty meh game. We won, but we can't finish for ****. Hopefully Comeau helps that out some. I really liked Despres and Pouliot.
I love Pouliot ALMOST as much as you do, but he wasn´t really good tonight. Looked like our weakest D out there, had some fumbled pucks as well. I mean, he wasn´t really terrible but I´m not sure if this is enough.. It´s more like you wanting him to look good than him actually being good, I guess. Games like these can be tolerated from him, but let´s not say that he was good because he wasn´t.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Bennett has flat out said he's a RW with Malkin. They're probably going to spend the rest of the season trying to force chemistry between Malkin and Hornqvist with Comeau/Spalin/Arcobello on the LW.

If they try Arcobello again there, then all of them need to be fired on the spot.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Crazy part is, the only forward now injured is Comeau, who was originally slated to be in the bottom six. This can't be the lineup going forward.

In the end it was a game against the Oilers. Pens "dominated" as they should have, but I can't say I was impressed. Something is missing.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Arcobello wasn't terrible. People are just pissed that he's playing on Malkin's LW while Bennett is scratched, so he's being unfairly criticized for MJ being an idiot. He wasn't bad.

He was horrible. He got benched for spaling in the 3rd for causing 3 horrible turn-overs that directly led to oilers scoring chances.... In one shift!

penguins2946*

I love Pouliot ALMOST as much as you do, but he wasn´t really good tonight. Looked like our weakest D out there, had some fumbled pucks as well. I mean, he wasn´t really terrible but I´m not sure if this is enough.. It´s more like you wanting him to look good than him actually being good, I guess. Games like these can be tolerated from him, but let´s not say that he was good because he wasn´t.

Where did I say Pouliot was good? I said I liked him, because I saw some flashes of brilliance tonight. He did screw up some passes and have some giveaways. You're obviously going to have those growing pains as a rookie OFD, I liked the positives that I saw from him a ton. The turnovers are a problem that can be fixed.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Arcobello wasn't terrible. People are just pissed that he's playing on Malkin's LW while Bennett is scratched, so he's being unfairly criticized for MJ being an idiot. He wasn't bad.

Yes he was. Anytime he saw the puck along the boards in the offensive zone, he killed the play. Never got Malkin the puck with time and space. Horrid in support. Two brutal turnovers within a few feet of his own net. Tonight, he looked like a beer leaguer in terms of how quickly he made decisions. He made a nice little tip pass on the Malkin goal and got open for Geno to give him the puck to shoot (not hard with 2-3 Oilers always collapsing on him). If THAT is good, then Kunitz and Sutter were good too tonight.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Crazy part is, the only forward now injured is Comeau, who was originally slated to be in the bottom six. This can't be the lineup going forward.

In the end it was a game against the Oilers. Pens "dominated" as they should have, but I can't say I was impressed. Something is missing.

The lines just feel all off kilter. Hornqvist doesn't click with Malkin. Kunitz drags Sid down. Perron is clicking sorta well with Sid but not great. Sutter's line is just there.

Tbh the only line I really like the look of lately is the fourth. Sill-Lappy-Adams actually look decent in terms of chemistry and fit. They had probably our best shifts tonight.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
To be fair, Bennett was a healthy scratch and Rust and Wilson are NHL ready and in WBS. That's on MJ for scratching Bennett and JR for keeping Rust and Wilson in WBS.

Are you for real? That MAKES my point about what a joke Shero was.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I would rather they ruffle Sid's feathers and move Kunitz to the 3rd line, and force Sid out of his comfort zone, to adapt his game to be patient with a skilled player like Perron (like Hossa).

I don't see Johnston having the courage to do that, but I agree as they stand (and as I said after the trade immediately ...back pat) Perron's skill set would be great with Geno. And I also don't trust Sid's comfort zone of having 2 net crashers on his wings.

Concern's not really that Kunitz can't score from there. He had 25 of those or something from that range just last year. The concern is that he gets closed on too fast and he's screwed because his elusiveness is gone. Other team keeps getting a stick on everything he tries to do.

penguins2946*

Yes he was. Anytime he saw the puck along the boards in the offensive zone, he killed the play. Never got Malkin the puck with time and space. Horrid in support. Two brutal turnovers within a few feet of his own net. Tonight, he looked like a beer leaguer in terms of how quickly he made decisions. He made a nice little tip pass on the Malkin goal and got open for Geno to give him the puck to shoot (not hard with 2-3 Oilers always collapsing on him). If THAT is good, then Kunitz was good too tonight.

It's hard to take you seriously when you're saying crap like that. We get it, you're pissed that he's playing on the 2nd line over Bennett. That doesn't make him some beer league scrub. He wasn't bad tonight.

He was horrible. He got benched for spaling in the 3rd for causing 3 horrible turn-overs that directly led to oilers scoring chances.... In one shift!

Yes, 1 bad shift eliminated the rest of the game where he was decent.

Are you for real? That MAKES my point about what a joke Shero was.

Not really, there's 3 guys that could be playing in the NHL that aren't because of MJ and JR's personnel decisions.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Who taught Sutter to skate? His acceleration from standing still is the opposite of Bure. He has some of the slowest foot speed I've ever seen. The ole head down, full body forward lean he pulls on the forecheck is shameful.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Where did I say Pouliot was good? I said I liked him, because I saw some flashes of brilliance tonight. He did screw up some passes and have some giveaways. You're obviously going to have those growing pains as a rookie OFD, I liked the positives that I saw from him a ton. The turnovers are a problem that can be fixed.
Well, I thought that saying "I liked him" pretty much equals to him "being good" but whatever. Let´s say that I didn´t really like him tonight then, at least not to the point that I would need to talk about it and mentioning it in the first sentence after the game. Let´s be honest here, the kid can do better..

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I don't think a Sid-Kunitz combo would be worse off with Horny than Perron, since clearly Kunitz MUST be Sid's LW. I do think Geno would be better off on Geno's LW than Horny is on Geno's RW.

That complaint someone referenced, how Perron on the LW as a passer slows Sid down, would be why he'd work well on the LW with Geno.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Our D were great today, forwards not so much. Despres was dominant today. All over the ice, Scuderi barely saw the puck and it was pretty clear that they were trying to get the puck to 47 when he was on the ice. Heard his name almost as much as Letang's (who was even better). Edmonton showed how bad they are in the neutral zone, we didn't even need to have any structure to dominate zone time.

Our wingers are being so lazy lately. Blowing the zone looking for stretch passes the second we have anything resembling possession. We got caught out multiple times against an Edmonton team that didn't even want the puck for 55 minutes. Lapierre was like, Glass bad today with his puck handling and general 'behind-the-play-ness'. The adrenaline has clearly worn off. Arco clearly wanted to show Edmonton how good he is, but his hands are almost as bad.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's hard to take you seriously when you're saying crap like that. We get it, you're pissed that he's playing on the 2nd line over Bennett. That doesn't make him some beer league scrub. He wasn't bad tonight.

Yes, 1 bad shift eliminated the rest of the game where he was decent.

Not really, there's 3 guys that could be playing in the NHL that aren't because of MJ and JR's personnel decisions

It's hard to take you seriously when you're saying crap like that.

And, no, you don't get that Arcobello is the second coming of Boychuk, which hardly is a departure for you.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Concern's not really that Kunitz can't score from there. He had 25 of those or something from that range just last year. The concern is that he gets closed on too fast and he's screwed because his elusiveness is gone. Other team keeps getting a stick on everything he tries to do.

But the concern is even more that he's not doing anything that made him an effective hockey player. The high slot floater isn't finishing defensemen or pulling the pucks out of congested, high traffic areas for our skilled players to display their skill. He thinks he's the skill.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
As for Arcobello.. This is what he is. Some flashes but otherwise very weak. The effort was there because he played in EDM but he´s not a good hockey player. It was obvious that he´s just not. Anyway, he´s just a stopgap on that 2nd line, so whatever..

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
MAF is the mvp of the team. Such a strong year. If he carries this to the postseason, I'll be happy. At the same time I could see people using him as a scapegoat when we are hemmed in our own zone for countless minutes and teams score.

MAF is by far a huge bright spot so far. People should at least enjoy that.

penguins2946*

Yeah, it's hard to take me seriously because I have a different opinion than you, and you seem to think your opinion is always right and everyone else is wrong. I'm not even saying Arcobello was great, I'm saying he wasn't bad and isn't some beer league scrub like you're saying.

And, no, you don't get it, which hardly is a departure for you.

Maybe I don't get it because your post makes no sense? Just a thought. How does MJ's poor decisions show any negatives in Shero's drafting record? But what else is knew, the guy who always thinks he's right think's he's right. Color me shocked.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

And, no, you don't get that Arcobello is the second coming of Boychuk, which hardly is a departure for you.

That's going a bit far Kirk. Arco isn't AHL fodder. He's a playable bottom sixer. He shouldn't be near Malkin. He's playable though.

He's just one of those guys that's just kinda there. Not gonna hurt you but not gonna do much for you either. He's not a Boychuk or Tangradi who are actively terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad