Post-Game Talk: Penguins - 2 Oilers - 0 - Yay?

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
Three observations

-Not sure if it's coincidence or what, but Sill actually looks like an NHL fourth liner since we've acquired #40. Whether Sill's improvement has to do with 40 or not, they work very, very well together.

-It's comical how high they've got Adams out there when the other two are cycling. He's like 3 feet north of the D half the time.

-First line needs their roles modified. Too often Kunitz is floating around the slot while Perron's in the crease. It works much better when circumstances find their positions flip-flopped or, failing that, when both wings just go to the paint, which is what Geno's guys were doing all night.

I like that Perron doesn't have any compunction about standing under the hoop, but if there's going to be a guy in the slot or circles, he's far, far better suited to that than 14 is at this point.

I was saying this early tonight and I think what it is, is Perron is just more engaged/hustling, so he's putting himself in the play more, whereas Kunitz is floating, causing him to not be engaged in the play like he should be. I 100% agree with you though.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Arcobello ******* sucks. Kunitz might be worse. Sutter too.

Exit question: There's no chemistry with Malkin and Horny, but is that because there's no chemistry or because, instead of a LW who might be remotely complementary, those two have played with Spaling or Arco on the other wing or have been centered by Sutter?

Personally, I'm not sure. 50/50 on it, but I'd like to see them with Beau Beau or Comeau before saying it can't work.

Bennett has flat out said he's a RW with Malkin. They're probably going to spend the rest of the season trying to force chemistry between Malkin and Hornqvist with Comeau/Spalin/Arcobello on the LW.

Michael8771*

Pouliot was pretty bad. too many bad turnovers
Yeah, he definitely looked a bit overwhelmed tonight. The Oilers did get on him quickly and forced him into mistakes. I was a bit surprised.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Pretty meh game. We won, but we can't finish for ****. Hopefully Comeau helps that out some. I really liked Despres and Pouliot.

They really are lacking in the finish department recently. Like really.

Pouliot got benched in the 3rd. During said benching Scuderi had 2 failed cleared attempts. The coaching staff is picking the low-hanging fruit again instead of making the hard coaching decisions (as if benching Adams or Sill should be hard).

+Letang
+MAF

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I liked the game the pens played tonight, it wasn't the most exciting game, but i thought it was a good road win, pens didn't really give up much at all except on that one PK.

That Jeff Petry would look pretty good in a pens uniform, i thought he was Edmonton's best player tonight.

Michael8771*

It really looked as if we were sleepwalking through this game. Fortunately it appears no one got hurt.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Arcobello ******* sucks. Kunitz might be worse. Sutter too.

Exit question: There's no chemistry with Malkin and Horny, but is that because there's no chemistry or because, instead of a LW who might be remotely complementary, those two have played with Spaling or Arco on the other wing or have been centered by Sutter?

Personally, I'm not sure. 50/50 on it, but I'd like to see them with Beau Beau or Comeau before saying it can't work.

If Sid wants his RW just driving to the net while Sid and the Left Wing play tag, I wouldn't mind seeing DP with Geno and 72 back with 87. Hornqvist is a more natural fit for what his line has Perron doing.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Good lord what a fat ****** bag. :shakehead

Yup.

True as that may be, I agree with him. If they're still a bottom dweller after getting Hall, RNH, and Yak, while teams like the Flames are already back in the playoff mix, I'd hate to see more of the same with the Oilers - extremely talented players rotting away in a horribly ran organization.

Well, they will be getting a very good player regardless in this deep draft, whether it's McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Crouse etc. etc.

He needs to deal with it. The players are NOT the main problem in Edmonton and everybody knows that except the fanboy owner.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
+MAF - Lucky #7 SO on the year.
+Letang - He keeps rolling.
+Malkin - Back on the ice and scoring the GW.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I liked the game the pens played tonight, it wasn't the most exciting game, but i thought it was a good road win, pens didn't really give up much at all except on that one PK.

That Jeff Petry would look pretty good in a pens uniform, i thought he was Edmonton's best player tonight.

Petry, yeah, as a rental, not a bad option.

And, I can't spell #62's name, but that kid is harder along the boards than any Penguins forward.

Michael8771*

Agreed, he was very visible and certainly helped generate some chances.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Pouliot was pretty bad. too many bad turnovers

Agree he had some bad turnovers. Was better last game, but he'll be up and down. Nice win. This team should be happy with any two points it can get, no matter who the opponent is. Any team that forechecks aggressively against Bort, Pouliot, and Scuds (Despres is getting better, but there was that bad game against Nashville) is going to pin the Pens in their own end. Thankfully, Oilers didn't do it.

Nice to see 71 back; hopefully, he survived without further injury.

penguins2946*

Glad to hear Arco was terrible...hopefully BB is back in next game

Arcobello wasn't terrible. People are just pissed that he's playing on Malkin's LW while Bennett is scratched, so he's being unfairly criticized for MJ being an idiot. He wasn't bad.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Petry, yeah, as a rental, not a bad option.

And, I can't spell #62's name, but that kid is harder along the boards than any Penguins forward.

Yeah, Pakarinen. Solid player. Part of the solution for that team going forward, for sure. Versatile, too. Plays the left side relatively well as a big right-handed shooter.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Kinda disappointing Sid and Geno each only had 1 point against this team. It's really just killing us how little we draw penalties, and how bad our PP has been when we actually do get on it. I don't know if it's a product of MJ's system, an anomaly, or what, but we are not drawing **** for penalties this year. We're 17th in PP opps this year compared to 12th last year, 6th the year before that, and 7th the year before that.

You want to talk about things that will affect our scoring, that's way up there.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I was saying this early tonight and I think what it is, is Perron is just more engaged/hustling, so he's putting himself in the play more, whereas Kunitz is floating, causing him to not be engaged in the play like he should be. I 100% agree with you though.

I was wondering if it was just footspeed, but a few times Kunitz found himself in front and randomly switched with one of Perron or Sid.

I think it's by design (Kunitz does NOT do this on the PP, so it's not him not being willing to play that close). I don't know who is making that call, but they're under-utilizing Perron by making him primarily a distraction.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If Sid wants his RW just driving to the net while Sid and the Left Wing play tag, I wouldn't mind seeing DP with Geno and 72 back with 87. Hornqvist is a more natural fit for what his line has Perron doing.

That's actually a really good point.

Horny on Sid's RW > Horny on Malkin's RW
Perron on Malkin's LW > Perron on Sid's RW

I'm not sure that Sid's line will be any less effective at ES, where Kunitz is married at LW, with Horny instead of Perron. And, yeah, Geno with Perron on his LW would be better than Geno with Horny on his RW.

From THAT 'Kunitz with Sid or Death' perspective, I agree 100%.

Of course, Kunitz out of the Pens top six is the second best option for the Pens, trailing only the scenarios that have Kunitz with another organization.

EDIT: You know, I get scared (and scarred) when we see the same thing. :laugh:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Just so I have this straight from earlier in the GDT, the first time BB was scratched was because he was late to a meeting and the tonight's healthy scratch was performance based, correct?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, Pakarinen. Solid player. Part of the solution for that team going forward, for sure. Versatile, too. Plays the left side relatively well as a big right-handed shooter.

2011 7th round pick. Not 1 single Shero draft pick for the Pens up front tonight. Seriously, **** Ray Shero. :rant:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Just so I have this straight from earlier in the GDT, the first time BB was scratched was because he was late to a meeting and the tonight's healthy scratch was performance based, correct?

Who knows. Maybe he banged Agnew's daughter.

penguins2946*

2011 7th round pick. Not 1 single Shero draft pick for the Pens up front tonight. Seriously, **** Ray Shero. :rant:

To be fair, Bennett was a healthy scratch and Rust and Wilson are NHL ready and in WBS. That's on MJ for scratching Bennett and JR for keeping Rust and Wilson in WBS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad