Paul Maurice, Stanley Cup Champion

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I've always tried to be balanced in my approach to Maurice. He has his flaws but he's shown that he can be a good coach, and I will always have a tremendous amount of respect for how he matured the Jets hockey club from an AHL one to an NHL one. Behind the scenes, he really turned things around when he took over (before the locker room soured on him). It's obvious why the folks at the very top were so hesitant to let his character go.

He finally got one and now he can't be memed as the losingest coach in NHL history without a Cup. Congrats to him and his family.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
We live vicariously through you Paul tonight! Congratulations and a Job well done and one classy human being!

Attachments

• 20240624_225141.jpg
    20240624_225141.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 1

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Congrats, Maurice! Class act, and he's a man that sincerely cares about people, and gosh darn it, he gives the best interviews. And awesome for taking out Edmonton, who hopefully never win any championships in any pro sport again. They've had enough a few decades ago. 😎

I wrote a long, complicated cognitive function analysis about him a few years back, based on a decade of watching his interviews and seeing him in action.(Player Discussion: - Heinola Thread)

He'd probably be the first to say that he's part of a coaching team (it's not just one guy to credit/blame), and that was part of the problem in Winnipeg - his assistants weren't that good (Huddy probably one of the worst D coaches in the league), and I felt like he didn't have great strategic help. (And a decade with one team is a long time - if you don't win, players naturally tune a coach out over time). I haven't followed Florida much during the year, so I don't know the assistants there, but they seemed to be well-rounded.

I think Maurice had a lot to do with setting a good team culture. Having Bobrovsky return to form helped a lot, too... 😉 The head coach is an important factor in winning, but it's only one thing out of many, and it's impossible to evaluate the precise 'weight' of that factor...

But anyway, cheers y'all, and let's hope the Jets make Maurice's dreams come true next year!

GrassyKnoll

Feb 3, 2015
You know what? I'm going to say it. Congratulations, Paul Maurice. You finally f***ing done it. You found a team that was good enough for you to be just average enough to have them win you a cup.

Apart from his classy shout-out to the Winnipeg Jets after the end of Game 7, we all remember, back in 2018, that tragic bus accident where 16 members of the Humboldt Broncos hockey team back in 2018. Paul Maurice made a statement on behalf of himself and the entire Jets organization, expressing their condolences to the families and friends of the victims and to the community of Humboldt, Saskatchewan. And then he spoke directly from the heart, talking about how most young Canadian hockey players (Paul, too, back when he was young) take those long bus trips to play road games, and how he could relate to that, and how it really hits home when a tragedy like that happens (my 2 older brothers played minor hockey & also took those long bus trips, too). Anyway, Paul Maurice showed compassion and understanding with his heart-felt response to that tragedy, and that, in part, is what makes him a decent human being. I'll always have positive thoughts about him as a person and as a coach. Congrats to him for a well-deserved and long-overdue Stanley Cup championship.

And then, on the flip side of that coin, is CorgisPer60's response here, which (as charitable as I can be) could be described as catty (no Panthers pun intended) and graceless. Paul will be one of the guests of honour at a big party and parade in Miami in a couple of days. I doubt that you, Corgi, get invited to any parties.:sarcasm:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
And then, on the flip side of that coin, is CorgisPer60's response here, which (as charitable as I can be) could be described as catty (no Panthers pun intended) and graceless. Paul will be one of the guests of honour at a big party and parade in Miami in a couple of days. I doubt that you, Corgi, get invited to any parties.:sarcasm:

As a huge introvert, I relish not being invited to any parties. Could not give a f***.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm so happy for him. Let there never be a negative word said about Paul Maurice on HFJets ever again.

Back to back Stanley Cup final appearances - he immediately turned the Panthers into a contender when they fell short previously, despite winning a President's Trophy. Give credit where it's due.
It's really crazy how that journey went. The Panthers were absolutely hooped last year, unable to carry more than 20 players on their roster...Struggled for a good part of the season. Finally got some relief roster wise when they LTIR'd Hornqvist, which maybe saved their season. Alex Lyon as the 3rd string goalie, with Bob struggling, comes in and wins a bunch of games at the end of the season, and Crosby's Pens lost to a non playoff team (can't remember which one), and the Panthers squeak into the playoffs as 8th seed. Down 3-1 to the Bruins, Bob suddenly finds his game and Tkachuk has the heroics. Starts a journey to the Cup final which easily could have never happened. And I don't think the Panthers would have had the same hunger if they hadn't made it as far as they did last year, getting a taste.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think it's telling that in all that emotion, Maurice spoke about his parents, his group of players, and Winnipeg. He's a pegger now. The community has left a real impression on him.

He'll be on his way out to Lake of the Woods for the long weekend.

Hope to see the Cup this summer return to Clearwater Bay!! (or Rush Bay)

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I'm thinking he's probably going to be our GM someday.
Anyone else agree?
I don't think so. Maurice is a smart man and has learned a lot from being a lifelong student of the game. But his innate strength is his EQ, his understanding of people and his communication skills. Empathy is a big part of how he garners the trust and respect of the players. He is not a chess player.
To be a good GM you need a completely different skill set. Chevy is a horrible communicator but a great tactician/deal-maker and it has allowed him to be a very good, if not great, GM.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad