Paul Maurice: Class act and a legendary coach

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Gets his team back on track in the SCF game 7 and wins one for the ages against McJesus and Co. That was the most grindy, gutsy win they could've had considering their fate at hand. At last... One of the most chilling, emotional cup raises I've seen, at least from a coach.

The interviews, especially the one with Bukauskas, were too good. Class all the way even wishing the next cup to go to Winnipeg. Congrats to PoMo on bringing it home for the Cats 30th anniversary.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Gets his team back on track in the SCF game 7 and wins one for the ages against McJesus and Co. That was the most grindy, gutsy win they could've had considering their fate at hand. At last... One of the most chilling, emotional cup raises I've seen, at least from a coach.

This interview was an unforgettable one. Class all the way even wishing the next cup to go to Winnipeg. Congrats to PoMo on bringing it home for the Cats 30th anniversary.

I thought the same thing. VERY thoughtful and GREAT gesture to say Gudas and 2 Staal brothers being a part of this

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
download (2).jpeg

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland

The interviews, especially the one with Bukauskas, were too good. Class all the way even wishing the next cup to go to Winnipeg. Congrats to PoMo on bringing it home for the Cats 30th anniversary.

After Winnipeg I thought he was going to be mediocre at Florida but so glad to be proven wrong. Class act and a good guy.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
He was probably the only Leafs' coach in the last 25 years or so I truly liked, and when he became coach of Carolina, then Winnipeg, I rooted for those teams because of him. He has always struck me as thoughtful, cerebral and a classy guy, just like Jon Cooper.

Him celebrating a cup win and the enormous ovation when he hoisted Lord Stanley is pretty indicative of the respect he has from his players and fans alike. His genuinely wishing Winnipeg to be the next cup winner shows he has no bridges to burn when he moved on.

To hear his son talk about his Dad to the point of tears shows the deep respect Maurice garners by being a humble, quiet man, going about his business. You can just sense the pride of knowing at the moment that he is proud to carry his family name and now it will be in history. While I am disappointed the Oilers did not win, I take solace knowing good guys like Maurice finally had all their hard work rewarded. Hats off to him.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
With all due respect, he was almost one goal from joining Todd McLellan in the reverse sweep category. It’s great they got this far but getting so close to getting reverse swept is a bad look regardless of the outcome.
disagree, when i look back to series from years past, all that matters is who won. years later, i might remember the oilers perseverance fondly but won't remember anything about fla other than the fact that they won.

i can't say "regardless of the outcome" because the outcome is all that matters and was the desired one

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Truly a great moment, the kind that makes this the best sport on earth
also the handshake line and for me the way fans in canada pass the flag during the singing of "o canada" in unison ---i'm a 65 year old crochety old street rat from brooklyn ny, and that is a very emotional scene to witness. gives me goose bumps every time!!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
i remember him coaching the whalers as a 28-29 year old back in the day. cool to see him finally lift the cup all these years later
He's the most unfairly maligned coach in hockey since I've followed the game. People can say what they will about his W-L record, but how often has he had a team that has business being any more than a first round flameout in the playoffs? He made it to a Cup Final and another ECF with two pretty marginal Carolina teams, and made the WCF with a Jets team that was nothing special.

This Florida crew is by far the best team he's had in his NHL tenure nearly 30 seasons later, glad to see the guy finally get rewarded.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
That interview will be looked back on as one of the best ever. The way he was rhyming off the legends his dad admired and then the family name...chilling.

Maurice can be a little too sarcastic at times for me. But when he had that little lull between coaching gigs, and he worked for TSN as a panelist, he was excellent. Just like his interviews, he's articulate, well spoken and thought out, and speaks with this confidence in his voice that draws you in.

Nice to see that after all these years, he finally hoists. Great to see long-tenured personnel in the game finally rewarded for all their hard work and perserverance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad