Prospect Info: Paul Fischer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If veteran UFAs are coming here to sign on discounts to play with McDavid and Drai, I'm pretty sure this kid, although on D, would love for a chance to play here.
Completely different motivation.

Veteran UFAs often have already made enough money that taking a bit less won't impact their lives or likely even the lives of their children financially speaking, while winning a cup would be them finally achieving their ultimate goal.

Young players going into an ELC are likely getting the same pay regardless of where they go so they are focussed on getting playing time that they can parlay into a long career as their primary goal rather than winning. If the depth chart when he is ready to sign looks too deep to overcome, signing him may become an issue particularly with the US/Canada thing we've seen with some NCAA American players.

For now, I'd say that the left side depth for players under 30 is currently pretty weak in Edmonton so I wouldn't be panicking too much about him bolting yet for reasons of opportunity.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If veteran UFAs are coming here to sign on discounts to play with McDavid and Drai, I'm pretty sure this kid, although on D, would love for a chance to play here.
Part of it really comes down to having people that are around these prospects.

Between Bowman who follows USHL and College a lot and whoever this other USHL guru we have on board, I think it'll help out.

It's still no guarantee, but it won't hurt.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Completely different motivation.

Veteran UFAs often have already made enough money that taking a bit less won't impact their lives or likely even the lives of their children financially speaking, while winning a cup would be them finally achieving their ultimate goal.

Young players going into an ELC are likely getting the same pay regardless of where they go so they are focussed on getting playing time that they can parlay into a long career as their primary goal rather than winning. If the depth chart when he is ready to sign looks too deep to overcome, signing him may become an issue particularly with the US/Canada thing we've seen with some NCAA American players.

For now, I'd say that the left side depth for players under 30 is currently pretty weak in Edmonton so I wouldn't be panicking too much about him bolting yet for reasons of opportunity.
I think it's one of those things you worry about when it becomes an issue. Still have no idea if they guy is even going to warrant a contract once done in the NCAA.

Could be a Desharnais that just gets a AHL contract or he could be a guy that is ready to step in. Too tough to tell right now.

Reactions: bone

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Only 19, Blues fans seem to like him. Getting anything back in addition to the regular OS compensation was a bonus so a 3rd and a not nothing prospect is a nice little deal for the Oilers.

I think a concern is him being American and not signing when it's time so I wouldn't get too attached if he does pan out in college.
I’m always worried about US college kids for the exact reason you stated. However if it’s true that Bowman has known him since he was 13/14 from being in the Chicago area that might bode well for an eventual signing.

That said, the ideal course of action might be to hope he makes the US u20 team at Christmas and pumps up his value, then move him as an asset at the deadline. Will be interesting to see what unfolds that’s for sure.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
On the Blues board he way down their prospect chart and their prospect is bottom 3rd in the league

Blues fan coming in peace.

You're underestimating the Blues prospect core. We've added a lot of depth the last 2 drafts and IMO we're probably at the tail end of the top 3rd and at least comfortably in the top half.

Blues are stacked with LHD-prospects which made Paul Fischer redundant and available to be included in a trade. He was probably 4th/5th in line (after Lindstein, L.Fischer, Ralph and potentially Buchinger) and that's no slight on him as as he's quite a good prospect for a 5th-rounder. Just a couple of seasons ago he would easily have been our best defensive prospect as he definitely has NHL-upside. Probably 3rd pairing but who knows...

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think he will take long to make it to the big league if his role is to replace Kulak in 2 years.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
On the Blues board he way down their prospect chart and their prospect is bottom 3rd in the league

A couple of reasons why he is actually lower on that list than what he should be today. There are a lot of LHD prospects in the system, and aside from Lindstein and possibly Buchinger, there many B-level prospects that are pretty close to each other in terms of potential. The Blues' left side will be totally revamped in 2 years. Leddy is still serviceable as top4, but should be moving into his twilight. Krug might have already played his last game as a Blue. And Perunovich's future has been destroyed by many injuries over the development years. So we have been drafting LHDs like mad for a while now, and hopefully at least 3 of them will pan out in 2 year's time.

The bigger reason is that most Blues fans might still think of him as that D which fell to us in the 5th, because he wasn't able to progress during his draft year. But for people often checkup on our prospect pool, and especially for those that follow college hockey closely, he is a very different player today than the day he was drafted. His stock was trending drastically down then, but the last few months has been the opposite. While I definitely would place him in the middle of our second group of D prospects, he is definitely one of the ones that we can count on to compete for a spot in 2-3 years' time .

He is also someone that should have pretty high likelihood of making it in some type of role in the NHL, like I detailed in another trade board thread. First, he seems to have real mental toughness and ambition to put himself in a long term trajectory to compete, by all accounts. He also has been improving, and reversing his downward trend, while gaining new levels of skills, such as participating in offence, much more than he did previously, so he is definitely capable of learning and reinventing parts of his game. Additionally, his core game involves reliability, versatility, and excellent mobility; and these are the types of skills that a complementary player typically would need to keep their job in the big leagues.

He's a good kid, with a great attitude. (which you can't say about most prospects these days) So I'd really like to see him succeed, wherever he is.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Our Gustav Forsling :sarcasm:

Paul Fischer’s pre-draft comparable was Jaccob Slavin.
Stopped by to say Fischer was one of my favorite D from the 23 draft. I have a model that identifies under-valued D prospects and Fischer scored well.

I think Fischer's comparable is a bigger Goligoski. Does everything well enough and his skating might get him second PP minutes, if not then 25-30 even-strength points and sound play in both zones.

I really like the D Edmonton has acquired as Emberson was another D identified by the model in his draft. If both pan out, then the D will be solid in 3-5 years.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Stopped by to say Fischer was one of my favorite D from the 23 draft. I have a model that identifies under-valued D prospects and Fischer scored well.

I think Fischer's comparable is a bigger Goligoski. Does everything well enough and his skating might get him second PP minutes, if not then 25-30 even-strength points and sound play in both zones.

I really like the D Edmonton has acquired as Emberson was another D identified by the model in his draft. If both pan out, then the D will be solid in 3-5 years.
It sounded a little like Fischer was a left handed Emberson based on the scouting report.

Reactions: emptyNedder

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Thanks! If these two guys can turn into NHL regulars that would be a huge win. Goligoski of course would be an absolute home run but I recognize that is a long shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad