Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Broberg, Holloway and Ceci are Gone, Do We Add Another D Before Camp?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fabbro is kind of more or less what Emberson is right now. Except he's going to cost us a 2nd round pick to acquire him. If he can get him for cheap then sure but right now I don't think we should be trying to experiment on the 2RD. We need a surefire stud.

One player if he's willing to waive here which I'm sure he would is Jared Spurgeon. He would be a great add at the deadline. He's exactly the type of player you're looking for to babysit Nurse
It's a Catch 22. If Spurgeon is healthy then MN will not be looking to trade him unless they are blown away by an offer, and they also wouldn't be willing to retain on his contract unless they are REALLY blown away by the return. I don't see what EDM could offer them in this case.

If Spurgeon declines sigificantly, then MN would be looking to move him, but in that case, why would EDM want him?

Reactions: McDoused

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I mean one thing to keep in mind when they signed all these forwards, they were cocky and assumed Broberg would get done. It's not unreasonable to think one of Broberg/Kulak could always fill that role in season, then you could evaluate at the the deadline.

Draft Pedigree aside though, I just don't know that Emberson is much of a downgrade on Broberg, if at all. They're different players style-wise, but I think they both have similar potential while neither has a guarantee of making beyond where they are now.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Sorry, that wasn't directed at you. It was at @McTonyBrar for the "huge risk" comment.
I don't see going from Ceci-Desharnais (which was largely the Oilers right side throughout the season and most of the playoffs) to Emberson-Brown/Stecher as a huge risk.

Obviously they'll need to fill that void at 2nd pairing RHD if Emberson or somebody else doesn't take it but they had that same void last season on a team that went to Game 7 of the Cup finals. Not saying that they should go into the playoffs with that defense and they almost certainly won't but they'll be fine in the interim.

Also, we're not going to see a significant trade until closer to the deadline, you rarely see teams making significant trades before the New Year so this is the defense we'll see for the first half of the season outside of bottom of the roster guys, PTOs etc.
The Oilers don't have the cap space now and there's not much appetite for teams to make such moves until the divide between seller and buyer starts to flesh out so the more significant moves aren't likely to happen for a long time.
Man what I am just saying is I haven't seen very many top 4 RHD traded at the deadline between teams. If I am wrong on this, just tell me. Only time we got a top 4 RHD was Larsson in the summer. I'm not saying it's a game changer because Emberson may turn out like Michael Kesselring has turned out for Utah. He has that kind of potential. I'm sure Emberson and Stecher can carry the load for now.

But it is a risk. You can't deny that.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
John Marino was traded for two 2nd round picks at the draft. We could have fit him in at the expense of signing Skinner.

We could have signed a guy like Matt Roy and kept Ryan McLeod instead of signing Skinner+Henrique (plus say signing a guy like Daniel Sprong who signed for less than $1m).

There were options out there to address the backend. The Oilers prioritized the forward group instead.
We also knew Broberg wanted to leave so we had an asset there for trade for a RHD. Some RHD were available in free agency this year too earlier.

Maybe we should've tried for one

Reactions: Duke74

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
John Marino was traded for two 2nd round picks at the draft. We could have fit him in at the expense of signing Skinner.

We could have signed a guy like Matt Roy and kept Ryan McLeod instead of signing Skinner+Henrique (plus say signing a guy like Daniel Sprong who signed for less than $1m).

There were options out there to address the backend. The Oilers prioritized the forward group instead.
One year and two year deals for the guys the Oilers signed versus the long-term deal it would have taken to get Matt Roy to commit. Odds are that the Oilers weren't comfortable locking up that future cap into that caliber of a supporting roster player.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I can't disagree, but if it's a player with trade protection, things might actually get interesting for the Oilers
I know what you're saying. That's the narrative they're running with this year. We will see.

When the national media jumps on board the Oil locomotive blowing smoke up this market's ass usually bad shit happens.

Emberson, the journeyman with 30 games of NHL experience, does interest me as a player the organization appears to have targeted. Maybe after 200 more games of experience he becomes our Tanev light. I'm not betting on this player heading into the playoffs under any circumstances.

Leon Draisaitl being in a negotiation period and the Oilers CONSTANTLY short-changing him as a centre with his linemates had much to do with that, I imagine.
Absolutely.

Maybe you’re right.

Brett Pesce, Alex Carrier and Sean Walker were all also available and all are fairly proven top 4 D to varying levels.

Point is, there were options. The Oilers chose to do something different.

Maybe Emberson is a stud and the Oilers are going to look like geniuses. But it’s hard not to look at that right side and not get scared after Bouchard.
We could have found a way to do it all and we might have if we used Broberg and Holloway as trade chips. Could have moved on from Ceci earlier. Should have moved on from Kulak.

At least we recouped a couple of picks but I would have rather the team used Broberg and Holloway as bait before free agency even started.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
One year and two year deals for the guys the Oilers signed versus the long-term deal it would have taken to get Matt Roy to commit. Odds are that the Oilers weren't comfortable locking up that future cap into that caliber of a supporting roster player.
Maybe so. If we move early on a deal, after game one of the season for LTIR purposes, and the team knows we can count on Kane being out at least until the deadline, if not for the entire regular season, we can additionally move Kulak for the cap and an additional high pick for retention, if the incoming player is worth it. Even moving an additional pick for double retention. If we get the right defenceman it will be worth it.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Gazzola confirmed on 2 Guys and a Goalie that Evander Kane is getting surgery
tocw36f8txh81.jpg

Get tf out the way VGK. Its our turn now.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Gazzola confirmed on 2 Guys and a Goalie that Evander Kane is getting surgery
This give us options... keeping Kane off LTIR, counting on a season with no further injuries on the team (if someone else gets injured we'll be dependent on LTIR regardless of the Kane situation) then waiting for the accrued cap space to pile up for a deadline acquisition... hoping a defenceman of relevance shakes loose... then outbidding everyone else.

Or we could wait until the season starts, place Kane on LTIR, with a clear understanding the length he will be out for, make a trade early, counting on the LTIR. Ultimately winning the cup.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I missed Winnipeg in my quick scan. I can definitely see regression with that team.
GM Chevy is a pretty shrewd trader so not sure there's value shopping to be found there.

Personally I think Pionk might more likely with his expiring contract I missed. Good hard ice, nasty player with the American birth certificate might be a moveable piece if it looks like they can't re-sign him. Demelo (who I know you like) looks locked in as a core guy with term.
I am a big fan of Demelo’s game and his new contract while a bit long does have a manageable cap hit. I agree that they seemingly consider him a part of their core but Ekholm was viewed in a similar manner when he signed his extension with Nashville, but I also don’t think Demelo would be a low key value buy, Chevy wouldn’t give him away. I do find it interesting that his new deal doesn’t include any trade protection. But I do think that Pionk would be the more likely trade option if they were moving a RD this season but not sure how good of a fit he would be with Nurse

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
If you wanna know what the plan is then get a job in the Oilers hockey ops department. Management isn’t going to put all their cards on the table and lay out their plans in public.

I think it’s safe to assume they understand there’s likely a need to upgrade at the RD position but they’ll want to see what they’ve got in a guy like Emerson first and also let the trade market develop. Two years ago if they would of done what crying fans wanted and made a trade early season we are likely looking at having a guy like Edmundson or way overpaying for Chychrun, instead they were patient and landed the best option who also wasn’t just a rental.

Last year they had a few holes to fill and limited cap space/assets to work with. They were obviously looking at RD but in the end they felt that the options available werent enough of an upgrade over what they had to warrant the cost and instead went for a guy with more versatility who could play on the wing in the top 6 or be an excellent 3C, while also adding another depth right shot C.

Under Knoblauch the team has taken big strides in their overall team defense and that is important because it will allow them to cast a wider net in their search to bolster RD. For anyone expecting an acquisition of an Ekholm level player, I think they’ll be disappointed. Likely the team is going to be shaking the trees looking for a player who’s been misused on his current team, who has some good experience but hasn’t established themselves as a top 4 in that system. I think they follow the Panthers model with an acquisition like Mikkola.

Sign me up!

I will show them how to use game theory and logic trees.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Marino would have been a good option but didn't he have a NTC? I could be mistaken though and I don't think the Oilers could afford Roy long term.

In any event, I think we'll get a clearer idea of the market as guys shake loose during the season and as the Oilers gain flexibility with cap accrual. I don't think there's any reason to panic currently, the Oilers can win a division with this D group especially with the improvements up front.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The guy I would want at TDL would be Doughty retained. Yes it would take a lot. Kane for starters and a number of picks.

LA is going to have to burn it down at some point.
That would work for me, only don't wait for the deadline, wait until after game one of the regular season, taking maximum advantage of the Kane LTIR... Obviously Kulak would be included in a trade, then 3 year double retention to some degree. Very expensive but we would be set.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I am a big fan of Demelo’s game and his new contract while a bit long does have a manageable cap hit. I agree that they seemingly consider him a part of their core but Ekholm was viewed in a similar manner when he signed his extension with Nashville, but I also don’t think Demelo would be a low key value buy, Chevy wouldn’t give him away. I do find it interesting that his new deal doesn’t include any trade protection. But I do think that Pionk would be the more likely trade option if they were moving a RD this season but not sure how good of a fit he would be with Nurse
There's never 100% certainty. I don't see GM Chevy as a panic trader and they are coming off an elite season. So it would take incredible ice-berg hitting circumstances to see them dig into their core, especially established quality cornerstone guys that have bought into Winnipeg. He's also not likely a player you capitulate on no-trade considerations like a Morrissey. As far as Pionk, hard to say about his fit with Nurse, maybe not, but possibly also with a heavy, greasy game with a decent processor and some puck moving ability.

Nashville was a team kind of stuck in the mushy middle for a while. Qualified Ekholm trade rumours/speculation goes back as far as 2021 (Citing Lebrun Teams Hoping Mattias Ekholm Hits Trade Market)

I don't know what the Oilers management group think about trade options with longer-term team control (where's their budget threshold with McDavid, Bouchard and Stu Skinner up for new deals over the next 3 years)? Interesting situation but a critical need imo to fix 2RD which has been a longstanding issue.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
It's not negativity. I'm legitimately asking what the plan is? Theirs a difference between being optimistic and blindfully unrealistic.

How do the Oilers acquire a legit top 4 RHD? Its going to be difficult given that the market is incredibly thin. Like who is available? UFA RHD this year include:

1. Burns (playoff team)
2. Ekblad (playoff team)
3. Pionk (playoff team)
4. Savard

After that you are in Fabbro/Borgen/Jokiharju/Ceci territory.

The following year their is:

1. Trouba
2. Carlsson
3. Andersson
4. Manson
5. Murphy
6. Jensen

After that you are in Gudbranson/Dumba/Holl territory.

In addition, we lack assets and cap space. Nashville has 3 first round picks this year. If they want to upgrade on Fabbro or Carrier, they will absolutely be able outbid us. The RHD market is so thin that even a 2nd pair RHD will be difficult to get.

So that means that we need to bring in someone cheap and hope they can turn into a top 4 RHD or move someone else to acquire a defenceman with some term.

You can't accrue cap space and go on LTIR.
You're assuming the trade has to be for an upcoming UFA RHD. Eckholm was not a UFA, there are ways to get an impact player that doesn't have to be a pure rental. Yes, they are usually more expensive, but if we're trying to win now, which we are. you pay the price.

There are always players that shake loose near the deadline, and Bowman and Jackson just have to stay on the ball when those players do come available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad