Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He'll be back *in* January imo

It's not the ACL so you're gonna see him again this year
I haven't seen all the details and I don't think anybody does.

It's not exactly reassuring hearing these reports that he got different opinions from doctors and then HE, Laine, made the decision not to have surgery. I hope for the best...

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

It's not exactly reassuring hearing these reports that he got different opinions from doctors and then HE, Laine, made the decision not to have surgery. I hope for the best...
Hughes said the ACL wasn't damaged, return to play wouldn't be 2-3 months if it was anyway.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hughes said the ACL wasn't damaged, return to play wouldn't be 2-3 months if it was anyway.

We'll see what happens. The previous regime clearly allowed Weber to pkay through injuries and come back too early and it cost him his career. For sure I have more in the new regime. But the proof will be in the pudding. I also remember Gallagjer coming back early from concussions. At first it was such great news.
Then he got injured all over again. Time will tell...

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
We'll see what happens. The previous regime clearly allowed Weber to pkay through injuries and come back too early and it cost him his career. For sure I have more in the new regime. But the proof will be in the pudding. I also remember Gallagjer coming back early from concussions. At first it was such great news.
Then he got injured all over again. Time will tell...
Hughes/Gorton cleaned-up the medical/fitness staff after their first full year because players were returning to play too early or the staff let them play with injuries. They learned from that.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Yeah good luck getting that surgery in a 2 days notice.

You don’t need the surgery until swelling has gone down anyway. The injury is neither life threatening nor particularly painful.

If it will heal to 95% without surgery I would choose not to have one, but I’m not a professional athlete.

I expect your point was more about money, politics and general state of medical care. If so, I agree with the sentiment.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You don’t need the surgery until swelling has gone down anyway. The injury is neither life threatening nor particularly painful.

If it will heal to 95% without surgery I would choose not to have one, but I’m not a professional athlete.

I expect your point was more about money, politics and general state of medical care. If so, I agree with the sentiment.
Yes it was

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It depends on the situation of course but if you can avoid the knife, all the better. That being said, knee surgeries and their success rate has improved infinitely over the past decade.

I’m on the field somewhat so I definitely understand, but I also understand the points he made and respect the mans knowledge on the matter

At times there are situations where it’s a must to have a surgery but with todays physio you more often than not get better results without one

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hughes/Gorton cleaned-up the medical/fitness staff after their first full year because players were returning to play too early or the staff let them play with injuries. They learned from that.
Hope for the best. But the reality will be the reality when HuGo return.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

Stop putting "DRs" in some sort of final word etched in stone.. the same Drs who advocated for masking outside in groups larger than 10. Ffs.. lol.. you cant make this up.

Drs are just people, regular people.. many of them only know what they are allowed to say, to keep their medical license.

If Laine wants to rehab without surgery, good on him.. he knows himself way more than any Dr.

Sad but true: General practitioners are basically a modern day Google... and official consignee to any drug offered at the pharmacy.

• Haha
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Stop putting "DRs" in some sort of final word etched in stone.. the same Drs who advocated for masking outside in groups larger than 10. Ffs.. lol.. you cant make this up.

Drs are just people, regular people.. many of them only know what they are allowed to say, to keep their medical license.

If Laine wants to rehab without surgery, good on him.. he knows himself way more than any Dr.

Sad but true: General practitioners are basically a modern day Google... and official consignee to any drug offered at the pharmacy.
Judging by the abovementioned, Laine should rehab by himself as well, as he knows his body way more than any physical rehab therapist.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022

Why? It IS his decision. And it’s not like he made a decision that was contrary to the advice he got. For all we know, a majority of the doctors who looked at it were of the opinion that he could return to play without surgery. Finally, since he might only be here for only two years anyway, I’m not that concerned with his long term knee health. That’s his problem. He’s a big boy and can make his own decisions.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Judging by the abovementioned, Laine should rehab by himself as well, as he knows his body way more than any physical rehab therapist.
My idiot orthopaedic physician failed to diagnose the herniated disc in my lower back for over a year, leading to what was basically the equivalent of “emergency back surgery” even though no such thing really exits. Doctors are humans, they make mistakes all the time. Oh, BTW, he was the Phillies’ and Union’s orthopaed. for several years.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017

I don’t think the club or Laine was seeking opinions from GPs…not that I disagree that doctors in general (and all human beings) are more incompetent than ever before

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I admittedly have dunked on Patrick Laine for his off ice gaming habits etc, but I just saw a short clip interview on TSN with Laine, where he spoke (very well I might add) about the incident, decision to not undergo surgery, his own partial responsibility for the collision and his feelings towards Pare.

I have some newfound respect for the guy. I hope he heals fully and fast and comes back and has a hell of a remainder of the season.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I hope Laine made right decision

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This injury may help him in a way if he realizes he needs to pass the ball more and not do everything in transition on offense himself, reconsiders how to skate.

Otherwise on Patrik, for us with three injuries (groin, elbow and ankle) he came back much earlier than expected and had no repercussions. That's why I think he'll be back in December, I guess the 17th against Buffalo in Montreal. 😏

Last edited:
Reactions: the

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
I admittedly have dunked on Patrick Laine for his off ice gaming habits etc, but I just saw a short clip interview on TSN with Laine, where he spoke (very well I might add) about the incident, decision to not undergo surgery, his own partial responsibility for the collision and his feelings towards Pare.

I have some newfound respect for the guy. I hope he heals fully and fast and comes back and has a hell of a remainder of the season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why? It IS his decision. And it’s not like he made a decision that was contrary to the advice he got. For all we know, a majority of the doctors who looked at it were of the opinion that he could return to play without surgery. Finally, since he might only be here for only two years anyway, I’m not that concerned with his long term knee health. That’s his problem. He’s a big boy and can make his own decisions.

Even if management wanted to act like self-centered scum bags, which thankfully I don't think they do, there is a possibility Laine is part of the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad