Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Sad but also funny

1727792820137-png.911307

Attachments

• 1727792820137.png
    1727792820137.png
    723.3 KB · Views: 1

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The core?

You mean 2017 draftee #1C Suzuki?

Suzuki is 7 years out of his draft year. SEVEN.

By year 7 Landeskog had his full core in place.

Sure, if you want to pretend that Cale Makar isn't part of their core and Seymon Valarmov backstopped the team to glory.

By year 7 Barkov was on a contender

Oh yeah, I won't soon forget that "contender" team that won one more game then they lost that year before getting dumped by the Mighty New York Islanders in Qualifying Round.

By year 7 Ovi had made the POs 5 times

So, just to be clear, you think it's a feather in Ovechkin's cap that he had made the playoffs five times by year seven? I guess we're just supposed to pretend that Nick Suzuki wasn't the first line centre on a team that went to the Cup Final in his second year? It took Ovechkin six years to play as many playoff games as Suzuki did it two. You might want to re-think this one.

By year 7 Stamkos had a SCF loss and three PO appearances out of 7.

Nick Suzuki, by year two, had a SCF loss and two PO appearances out of 2. Again, do you want to re-think this one?

By year 7 Pietrangelo had 4 PO appearances.

Heading into broken record territory here. In Pietrangelo's first seven seasons, he had played a grand total of 28 playoff games. Suzuki played 32 in his first two seasons.

By year 7, Kopitar had a cup.

Before winning that Cup, year 7, Kopitar had 6 playoff games on his resume. In six years.

How long are we looking for the rebuild to last?

So you want to pretend the rebuild started years before it actually began, and then, simultaneously, you want to complain about how long the rebuilding is taking?

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Hey guys, has there been any official update on Laine? I'm not seeing anything in the usual places, but thought you might be hearing more then the rest of us.

This is not the type of forum where official news doesn't get seen and then posted here within a minute or two ;).

If we aren't all going bananas over official news, good news or bad, then it's safe to say there has been no news ;)

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
This is not the type of forum where official news doesn't get seen and then posted here within a minute or two ;).

If we aren't all going bananas over official news, good news or bad, then it's safe to say there has been no news ;)
I wasn't sure if it was posted on previous pages, and I was looking for a quick fix. 😬😁

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
You're not great with calendars, are you?

Today is October 1st. Five months would be the end of February, not March. (They also play 9 games in April, not 5)
Whatever it is, if he plays 0, 5, 10, 15 games, it is a wasted season for PL.
Don't know why guys get all pissy over a calendar, its just plain bad.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
The trade was a success. All right, the Habs have to suck up 8.7 mil for 2 yrs. Big deal. They have signed the core to extensions and the bad contract are almost over. Laine can be parked on LTIR. They also got a second for Harris. He's a bottom 6 D with nothing special. The only downside is not seeing Laine play this yr. The fans at least had something to cheer about. Not anymore. Why are people saying it's bad asset management? The stupidity was not drafting Michkov.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Whatever it is, if he plays 0, 5, 10, 15 games, it is a wasted season for PL.
Don't know why guys get all pissy over a calendar, its just plain bad.

Well, if he comes back at the end of February, there are still 24 games on the schedule for him to play, which is a hell of a lot more than 5, which is what the poster I was responding to said.

If you can't see the world of difference between 24 an 5, there really isn't much to discuss.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Andrei Markov at from age 30-32 played 45 games, 7 games, and 13 games over 3 seasons.

He came back and was still able to have an impact on the ice.

Best case scenario is Laine comes back in Feb and gets back into form for the last few games in April.
Laine's loss is discouraging. The team was probably going to battle for a playoff spot. The top 6 looked nice. Now that leaves a gap.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Well, if he comes back at the end of February, there are still 24 games on the schedule for him to play, which is a hell of a lot more than 5, which is what the poster I was responding to said.

If you can't see the world of difference between 24 an 5, there really isn't much to discuss.

Who cares if it is 24 or 5!

I think the point is it is another write off season for PL, its another setback to him and for the habs, it is devastating. No one has any clue how long it will be, everyone is speculating and just pulling numbers out our asses.

But if it is super important for you to be right about a calendar then I you do you. Hope you will be able to sleep better tonight, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: the

Thomas Sowell

Sep 23, 2024
Andrei Markov at from age 30-32 played 45 games, 7 games, and 13 games over 3 seasons.

He came back and was still able to have an impact on the ice.

Best case scenario is Laine comes back in Feb and gets back into form for the last few games in April.
And went on to play another 8 seasons (3 in KHL) at the same elite form that he had always been, playing 48 games (lockout year), 81, 81, 82, 62 and averaging over 50 pts a season I believe.

There should not be a worry about career being over. He's not going to lose his shot, and he's not going to lose his puck moving abilities and he is 26, not 36 lol.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
And went on to play another 8 seasons (3 in KHL) at the same elite form that he had always been, playing 48 games (lockout year), 81, 81, 82, 62 and averaging over 50 pts a season I believe.

There should not be a worry about career being over. He's not going to lose his shot, and he's not going to lose his puck moving abilities and he is 26, not 36 lol.
I agree, it sucks, but it has lots of ripple affects for the Habs. Worst case, he arrives next year with Demidov.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Laine's loss is discouraging. The team was probably going to battle for a playoff spot. The top 6 looked nice. Now that leaves a gap.

Yeah, but next year will be even better. Laine should be back, Demidov and other young players coming in, maybe Hage, maybe Rainmaker (hopefuly), Mailloux. Bad contracts coming out. We'll only be carrying Gallagher, Anderson and Price comes next year. Salary retention coming out. The roster turnover will be almost complete.

Even with Laine on the cap and Slaf's cap raise next season, we'll have around 17 mil to replace or re-sign Savard, Dvo, Armia and Evans.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Who cares if it is 24 or 5!

I certainly do and Patrik Laine does too.

He's been off the ice for an extended period and if he was limited to just five - or less - games his year it would be a serious issue.

If he can manage to play 20+ games, the Canadiens would have a real idea of what kind of fit he is for the roster, how he can be used and what they have in him, not to mention, it will give him an opportunity to build chemistry with his teammates so St. Louis can determine how to deploy him and how to best utilize him, not to mention we would get twenty games of him on the power play to see what effect that his.

If he can play over 20 games this season, it's an enormous benefit not just to him, but to the organization as well.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Yeah, but next year will be even better. Laine should be back, Demidov and other young players coming in, maybe Hage, maybe Rainmaker (hopefuly), Mailloux. Bad contracts coming out. We'll only be carrying Gallagher, Anderson and Price comes next year. Salary retention coming out. The roster turnover will be almost complete.

Even with Laine on the cap and Slaf's cap raise next season, we'll have around 17 mil to replace or re-sign Savard, Dvo, Armia and Evans.

For the most part I agree, don't see Hage next year.

After Price's 7 mil bonus is paid July 1st, his contract is much easier to move. A cap hit of 10 mil but only 2 mil in really salary to be paid.

They better spend next year.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Nothing official at this point means it's probably bad guys.......real bad.
Hope not, but...................doesn't look good
They haven't announced anything because they want to make sure they aren't missing anything, not because they are seeking a different opinion than "it's bad".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad