Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
5 days to get things straight.
1st who actually are the Comets and who heads out to Adirondack.
Who does NJ send down by 10/7. Those waiver eligible have to wait 24 hours before being assigned.
After getting that all straight, who skates with whom making up the Comets lines to start the season.
Who makes up the D-pairs.
Are their unhealthy guys in NJ who can't come down until they are game ready. That may determine a Thunder player stays here until such time that player is sent down.

I'm sorry. If you can't see that the Comets had a harder time during the preseason that's on you. That's my stance and I won't argue about it any further.
I'm not really arguing (I'm pretty nonconfrontational). I'm saying you can consider the remaining "devils" preseason games as part of the Utica training camp. The cuts while not official, are by and large made with the exception of a couple extras that went to Prague. I presume Dineen will be coaching the players left in NJ.

I didn't really think about the personal aspects like finding housing, etc, and yeah, it's not optimal, but at the same time I don't consider it just a 5 day camp. It's pretty much started now.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
So...doesn't really seem like there will be any roster surprises come October 7th when the final rosters are due, barring any injuries in Prague.

Only possible question mark I see is Foote vs. Lebanc. Wasn't surprising to see Lebanc get left in NJ as it gives him 3 additional preseason games to make his case. I do wonder if maybe Foote should've also been left behind considering he only played 8 games last season and averaged just 11:11 ice time through 3 preseason games with little to show for it (4 SOG, -3). I suppose he'd be the first forward to draw into the lineup in Saturday's game if there's an injury on Friday though, so I get it. Just not sure how safe his spot is on the roster, but I could see them not wanting to risk losing him on waivers. Would like to see Lebanc stick around though as he would be one of the first call-ups at forward from Utica given the lack of depth there.

Defense seems set to start with Pesce, Hughes and Hattaka all injured and Zboril seemingly not doing enough to warrant a roster spot.

Pesce seems like the closest of the 3 to returning. Players put on LTIR to start the season have to miss the first 10 games and 24 days of the season...though I'm not sure how this weekend's games would factor into that given the final roster doesn't need to be set until afterwards. Putting Luke and Hatakka on LTIR gives us enough space (by $126K) to be cap compliant to start the season. Of course, this means that we cannot accrue any cap space at the start of the season which is not ideal.

If my math is correct, once one of Luke or Hatakka is ready to come off of LTIR the other one can also come off and be put on IR and we would have $151,103 of cap space...though that's only if Casey is sent down to Utica. If Casey stays up, one of those guys need to remain on LTIR as Casey's cap hit is +$175K more than Hatakka or DeSimone. Of course, this all assumes no other injuries (doubtful) or other circumstances (for instance, Lebanc at $775K versus Foote at $825K).

Regardless, looks like it will be a bit of a tightrope this season with how Fitz manages cap space. A fully healthy roster gives us $926K in space, so even one injury eats most if not all of that up. Can see why it was so important for Fitz to get retention on both Markstrom and Allen, plus the value of Cotter making league minimum for the next two seasons.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
So...doesn't really seem like there will be any roster surprises come October 7th when the final rosters are due, barring any injuries in Prague.

Only possible question mark I see is Foote vs. Lebanc. Wasn't surprising to see Lebanc get left in NJ as it gives him 3 additional preseason games to make his case. I do wonder if maybe Foote should've also been left behind considering he only played 8 games last season and averaged just 11:11 ice time through 3 preseason games with little to show for it (4 SOG, -3). I suppose he'd be the first forward to draw into the lineup in Saturday's game if there's an injury on Friday though, so I get it. Just not sure how safe his spot is on the roster, but I could see them not wanting to risk losing him on waivers. Would like to see Lebanc stick around though as he would be one of the first call-ups at forward from Utica given the lack of depth there.

Defense seems set to start with Pesce, Hughes and Hattaka all injured and Zboril seemingly not doing enough to warrant a roster spot.

Pesce seems like the closest of the 3 to returning. Players put on LTIR to start the season have to miss the first 10 games and 24 days of the season...though I'm not sure how this weekend's games would factor into that given the final roster doesn't need to be set until afterwards. Putting Luke and Hatakka on LTIR gives us enough space (by $126K) to be cap compliant to start the season. Of course, this means that we cannot accrue any cap space at the start of the season which is not ideal.

If my math is correct, once one of Luke or Hatakka is ready to come off of LTIR the other one can also come off and be put on IR and we would have $151,103 of cap space...though that's only if Casey is sent down to Utica. If Casey stays up, one of those guys need to remain on LTIR as Casey's cap hit is +$175K more than Hatakka or DeSimone. Of course, this all assumes no other injuries (doubtful) or other circumstances (for instance, Lebanc at $775K versus Foote at $825K).

Regardless, looks like it will be a bit of a tightrope this season with how Fitz manages cap space. A fully healthy roster gives us $926K in space, so even one injury eats most if not all of that up. Can see why it was so important for Fitz to get retention on both Markstrom and Allen, plus the value of Cotter making league minimum for the next two seasons.
A mill in cap space to open the season seems great?

Compared to other teams:

NJ should have a lot of accrued cap space by the deadline right for an acquisition or two? I'm legitimately not sure why you are concerned. Seems like the team is properly capped out to try and go on a run.

Reactions: My3Sons

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I'm unclear as to why the Devils aren't waiving players along with the big masses of cuts. I understand that they risk losing the player, but for many of these players, is that a huge problem? And, the upside is that if you waive players before other rosters are set, you might be able to sneak someone down (Foote, DeSimone, Hattaka - if not injured). Plus, they they create flexibility of when to send the player down once waived.

Having to waive these guys after the season starts feels way more risky to me.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
A mill in cap space to open the season seems great?

Compared to other teams:

NJ should have a lot of accrued cap space by the deadline right for an acquisition or two? I'm legitimately not sure why you are concerned. Seems like the team is properly capped out to try and go on a run.

Not really "concerned" as much as I'm intrigued by the situation, as I like understanding the details in managing the cap.

Ultimately, I think they'll be fine and will have more than enough cap space for any moves come the TDL. It certainly makes things easier (and cheaper) if you don't require the other team to retain or can take on a player with a higher cap hit that others cannot. I also like that Fitz is spending closely to the cap, but it's worth following during the season and the team may have to dip in and out of LTIR during the season as injuries strike or make decisions to try to accrue cap space during the season.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I'm unclear as to why the Devils aren't waiving players along with the big masses of cuts. I understand that they risk losing the player, but for many of these players, is that a huge problem? And, the upside is that if you waive players before other rosters are set, you might be able to sneak someone down (Foote, DeSimone, Hattaka - if not injured). Plus, they they create flexibility of when to send the player down once waived.

I don't see any upside in waiving guys now - most guys are going to pass through whether you waive them now or right before the season.

Hatakka is injured and can't be waived.

Foote and DeSimone are currently projected to be on the opening night roster. Foote as the 14th forward and DeSimone as the 7th defenseman given the injuries to Pesce, Luke & Hatakka. They're also both in Prague right now as extras and we may come out of those games with even more injuries. Makes absolutely not sense to risk losing either one of those guys now to waivers to just try to sneak them through early.

I think there's an outside chance Foote hits waivers after this weekend if they decide to sign Lebanc, but the more likely scenario is he's on the opening night roster anyway.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

its the opposite, actually

waiting to waive the players means other teams probably have their rosters set or close to set. Remember if someone else claims them, they have to waive someone to make space.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

waiting to waive the players means other teams probably have their rosters set or close to set. Remember if someone else claims them, they have to waive someone to make space.
Or at least send someone down who doesn't need to clear. The guy they claim, as you say, must be placed on the NHL roster. Hard for me to believe Foote, Hatakka, Bowers, or Lebanc would be that high on anyone's list after their team was set and White for certain.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Or at least send someone down who doesn't need to clear. The guy they claim, as you say, must be placed on the NHL roster. Hard for me to believe Foote, Hatakka, Bowers, or Lebanc would be that high on anyone's list after their team was set and White for certain.

Foote could draw some interest, given he's still just a 23-year old (soon to be 24) former 1st round pick with size and a scoring touch. Could easily see a bottom-feeder rolling the dice on him.

The Athletic included him in a recent article highlighting a dozen skaters that might be waiver wire claims.

1727797421542.png

Hatakka we don't have to worry about for a few weeks as he's injured. He probably makes it through though, pending injury situations with other teams a few weeks from now.

DeSimone is a minor risk. Friedman mentioned that the Kings might be looking for a RHD on the waiver wire now that Doughty is injured, but given the injury situation DeSimone makes the opening night roster anyway.

Lebanc is a PTO. If the Devils sign him with the intention of assigning him to Utica, it seems unlikely he'd be claimed as he could've just signed a contract with that team in the first place.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He must’ve gotten injured last night!
That's my take as well. The Comets D-corps once felt to be superb is now being held together with binding twine.

Let me add to this.
The above was mostly initiated by the Devils D falling apart.

The injuries:
Pesce suffered a broken leg last season in the playoffs and he was traded for in that state. He is still out.
Luke Hughes injured his shoulder during the off season and is estimated to be out at least another month and some say no earlier than mid-November.
Nemec was injured during the World qualifying tournament and is playing but doesn't appear to right..
Hatakka was brought on board to replace Luke and he is now injured. DeSimone is the healthy right side extra.
Casey has managed to fill in and become top-6.

Last edited:

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I don't see any upside in waiving guys now - most guys are going to pass through whether you waive them now or right before the season.

Hatakka is injured and can't be waived.

Foote and DeSimone are currently projected to be on the opening night roster. Foote as the 14th forward and DeSimone as the 7th defenseman given the injuries to Pesce, Luke & Hatakka. They're also both in Prague right now as extras and we may come out of those games with even more injuries. Makes absolutely not sense to risk losing either one of those guys now to waivers to just try to sneak them through early.

I think there's an outside chance Foote hits waivers after this weekend if they decide to sign Lebanc, but the more likely scenario is he's on the opening night roster anyway.

I'm early with this issue. Rosters need to be submitted 5pm on Oct 7. I don't know what that means for waivers, but clearly teams have at least a few days more before the final wave of cuts.

That said, I know the Devils in the past have waited until after the season started waive players - and it's cost them.

You can waive someone and not re-assign them. Sometimes NHL teams use this tactic, but mostly they waive in order to make the roster move right then. I'm just pointing out that waiving players with the big round of cuts would be more beneficial than waiting until the team needs to make the roster move.

If you wait until after the season begins to waive Foote and DeSimone:

1. If there's an injury around the league, there's a new roster spot somewhere needing to be filled that wasn't there a few days earlier.

2. Foote, DeSimone are likely the only players on waivers (so there's limited choice to fill that roster spot). Right now, teams who are looking to upgrade rosters / plug holes due to injury have a lot of options. That won't be true after the season starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad