Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
This is really where you want to set the bar for Laine? Top 5 player in the league? I think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

I’d be happy if he’s a consistent 30+ goal scorer that fits into the system, and plays a decent 2-way game. Anything more is gravy…
If the same thing that happened to Kovalev when he arrived in Montreal can happen to Laine, we are in for a treat. He may not score 50 but will it ever be exciting!

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I have a feeling even if he isn't the guy that takes us all the way in the end he'll still be remembered fondly
MSL reminds me a little bit of Denis Savard in Chicago. Was a coach the players liked, helped them threw the tough years and helped get the competitive, then the team moved on to someone more experienced when they were truly ready to compete and they won 3 cups.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
MSL reminds me a little bit of Denis Savard in Chicago. Was a coach the players liked, helped them threw the tough years and helped get the competitive, then the team moved on to someone more experienced when they were truly ready to compete and they won 3 cups.

We already went through all experienced french speaking head coaches.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Savard was nowhere near the student of the game MSL is. I expect “MSL effect” will start kicking in full force this upcoming season, starting with significantly improved PP + PK

Longterm I expect MSL to follow Jacques Lemaire route, grow tired of Mtl media demands, and leave for another org - likely coaching NYR closer to home

Reactions: Andrei79

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
I was thinking more of Felipe Alou.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I’m more convinced then ever that Laine will bounce back better during his stint here and that we’re in for a real pleasant surprise.

The reason has to do with his mental health state which caused his initial decline and the positive environment he’s in now with the team and the early signs that he’s already enjoying the current situation.

Form all accounts, Laine grew up loving playing the game with his dad who recently passed and with him went some of Laine’s love for the game. Laine also wasn’t surrounded with a positive environment that helped him deal with issues both on and off the ice.

Now, it’s clear that he not only sought his own help but that he’s surrounded by available support staff here in MTL off the ice including therapists that his friend Armia used, and a very encouraging management team.

In terms of rediscovering his love for the game, he’s already alluded to that at the golf tournament presser and in the recent AMA on Reddit, Basu said that MSL will show him new ways to look (and play) the game that will reignite Laine’s curiosity and passion.

Can’t wait to see that play out on the ice as early as tomorrows workout

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I'll always remember Patrik Kane in tears talking to the media when savard got let go.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Put Pure Laine in a positive situation. Start him on the second line with Dach and XX so he doesn't feel too much pressure to produce. Give him proper PP time. Let him be himself and watch.

This experiment has a 2 years plan. If it works, he is young enough to give him a 4-5 years extension and make him a crucial part of our core going forward.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Savard was nowhere near the student of the game MSL is. I expect “MSL effect” will start kicking in full force this upcoming season, starting with significantly improved PP + PK

Longterm I expect MSL to follow Jacques Lemaire route, grow tired of Mtl media demands, and leave for another org - likely coaching NYR closer to home
Not to derail the thread to much more, but as much as Marty is a great players coach, I think he gets overrated a fair bit by our fanbase because of his likability when it comes to the X’s and O’s of the game. He’s definitely learning, but I don’t see him as a coach that shows exceptional potential either. He’s perfect for what we need now which is all that matters but I don’t see him being the answer when it’s actually time to compete. But maybe I’m off on that.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Not to derail the thread to much more, but as much as Marty is a great players coach, I think he gets overrated a fair bit by our fanbase because of his likability when it comes to the X’s and O’s of the game. He’s definitely learning, but I don’t see him as a coach that shows exceptional potential either. He’s perfect for what we need now which is all that matters but I don’t see him being the answer when it’s actually time to compete. But maybe I’m off on that.
Maybe the focus wasn't X's and O's just yet and he focused on player development instead.

They said the team was now in a different phase the rebuild and the expectation is to be better defensively. Perhaps he'll now focus more on X's and O's.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Maybe the focus wasn't X's and O's just yet and he focused on player development instead.

They said the team was now in a different phase the rebuild and the expectation is to be better defensively. Perhaps he'll now focus more on X's and O's.
Structure definitely needs to be a priority because for the better part of two years we've been flying by the seat of our pants. I have no problem with that being the initial plan but if that continues, then it's an issue. We've already heard talk of playing less man to man in our own zone so hopefully there's also an alternative plan/structure put in place offensively as well.

For the most part our team isn't green anymore and management has shown the direction they want to take us. Let's get things in place, start working our system and become a force.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I keep saying he needs a vet assistant to compensate on the X's and O's, bench management, line matching part. Not all coaches are excellent on all aspects, it's also about building a coaching staff with different strengths.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

IMO, you are. Marty's a quick study who is constantly trying to get better and we haven't seen a fully experienced version of him. Judging him by how he's been in his first two seasons is a bit premature.

I disagree with the notion that he's simply here in the interim. HuGo hired him to grow with the team. All great coaches are the actual captains of their team and Marty already fits that role to a T. His crew will go to war for him. If they need someone for better X and O's, they'll simply add someone rather than replace someone the players see as one of their own.

Elite players rarely make good coaches, but I feel MSL is the exception to the rule.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
IMO, you are. Marty's a quick study who is constantly trying to get better and we haven't seen a fully experienced version of him. Judging him by how he's been in his first two seasons is a bit premature.

I disagree with the notion that he's simply here in the interim. HuGo hired him to grow with the team. All great coaches are the actual captains of their team and Marty already fits that role to a T. His crew will go to war for him. If they need someone for better X and O's, they'll simply add someone rather than replace someone the players see as one of their own.

Elite players rarely make good coaches, but I feel MSL is the exception to the rule.
But what has he done that qualifies him as an exception of the rule? The team looks like they’re playing glorified pond hockey most nights. Like I said above, I think he’s a great players coach. We see players get attached to bad players coaches all the time. But at some point soon there will be expectations placed on the team and that changes how he will be evaluated. It’s hard giving him potential exceptional status, which a lot of our fans do, before he’s even got the team into playoff contention. That’s all my point was.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

We'll see I guess. MSL seems to me to be a truly good hockey coach. I just don't know what Dennis Savard was like.

A rare breed are very good at more than one thing. Ohtani can steal bases, hit home runs and pitch - and apparently he's elite defensively in the oufield.

Is MSL a hall of fame player and coach? We'll see...

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I initially thought so too. Sure, I've seen Laine play a bunch, but the more I read about his playing style, it seems clear to many that he does not just go to the quiet areas and shoot, he wants to carry to puck and dictate the play.

The quoted video also has a similar take, so playing Laine with Dach who is also fairly puck-dominant, likely won't work unless Marty can get Laine to see things differently.

Personally, I feel if Laine plays with Suzuki, they can feed off each other, as Suzuki also likes to slow the play down at times and is more of a shooting treat, compared to Dach.
I agree that Laine might not after all work the best with a too puck dominant centerman. Still depends on the centers passing ability though. I think the best combo with Laine would be a center with good two way play and excellent hockey IQ and quick and accurate passing skills. Something like Barkov would be ideal, but Suzuki could be great also. Not sure about Dach yet, but I won’t definitely mind if they work great together after all. The other winger for Laine works the best if he can do puck retrieving really well, and has better than average passing skills.

In Laine’s Jets years the best combo with Laine was Scheifele as center and Mathieu Perreault as the other winger. For some reason Maurice didn’t keep that line together very long though. The line was really efficient with points per 60 minutes and also doing very well with their 5 on 5 goal difference. Maybe it was injuries that forced Maurice to make changes, or maybe it was Wheeler and Scheifele, who seemed to love playing together, that forced changes. But anyway the type of combo that I mentioned would really work well woth Laine. Probably Suzuki and Slafkovsky would be great with Laine, but might of course work well woth some other player.

Laine was really excellent when he played together with Barkov in the 2016 WHC tournament. Laine had just turned 18 and Barkov was also just 21. They made some really spectacular passing plays in that tournament. Here is a clip of Laine’s goals in that tournament. The first goal especially was something really nice about how Laine can click really well with a high IQ passer.

Laine also won the scoring title of the tournament and was chosen as the MVP of the whole tournament. Finland lost to Canada in the overtime of the final, so Laine had to settle with his only silver medal of that season. He had a truly remarkable season as he won the WJC gold medal (was the best goal scorer in the tournament together with Matthews) and then helped his Liiga team to Liiga championship while being chosen as the MVP of the playoffs.

At those times and even his first two NHL seasons it looked like he could become an absolute elite player, if he would keep developing. Unfortunately his development stalled and he had too much problems with injuries and also with fitting well enough with the teams that he has played with. In my opinion Laine is at his best when he is used right in a way that will let him use his true strengths in an optimal way. For that he need the right type of linemates in the way that I described before. He is unfortunately a player that can get quite easily frustrated, and when he gets frustrated he gets quite easily off his game. On the other hand if he can use his strengths, he builds his confidence and when his confidence is high, he can be an absolute monster.

He is not probably the easiest player to coach because doesn’t work well with any kind of players or playing styles. But when used well and given a fair opportunity, he could be a real asset for Montreal. So far I have a pretty good feeling that MSL and Laine might work well. I definitely hope so!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad