Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
This is really where you want to set the bar for Laine? Top 5 player in the league? I think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

I’d be happy if he’s a consistent 30+ goal scorer that fits into the system, and plays a decent 2-way game. Anything more is gravy…
If the same thing that happened to Kovalev when he arrived in Montreal can happen to Laine, we are in for a treat. He may not score 50 but will it ever be exciting!

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I have a feeling even if he isn't the guy that takes us all the way in the end he'll still be remembered fondly
MSL reminds me a little bit of Denis Savard in Chicago. Was a coach the players liked, helped them threw the tough years and helped get the competitive, then the team moved on to someone more experienced when they were truly ready to compete and they won 3 cups.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
MSL reminds me a little bit of Denis Savard in Chicago. Was a coach the players liked, helped them threw the tough years and helped get the competitive, then the team moved on to someone more experienced when they were truly ready to compete and they won 3 cups.

We already went through all experienced french speaking head coaches.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Savard was nowhere near the student of the game MSL is. I expect “MSL effect” will start kicking in full force this upcoming season, starting with significantly improved PP + PK

Longterm I expect MSL to follow Jacques Lemaire route, grow tired of Mtl media demands, and leave for another org - likely coaching NYR closer to home

Reactions: Andrei79

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
I was thinking more of Felipe Alou.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I’m more convinced then ever that Laine will bounce back better during his stint here and that we’re in for a real pleasant surprise.

The reason has to do with his mental health state which caused his initial decline and the positive environment he’s in now with the team and the early signs that he’s already enjoying the current situation.

Form all accounts, Laine grew up loving playing the game with his dad who recently passed and with him went some of Laine’s love for the game. Laine also wasn’t surrounded with a positive environment that helped him deal with issues both on and off the ice.

Now, it’s clear that he not only sought his own help but that he’s surrounded by available support staff here in MTL off the ice including therapists that his friend Armia used, and a very encouraging management team.

In terms of rediscovering his love for the game, he’s already alluded to that at the golf tournament presser and in the recent AMA on Reddit, Basu said that MSL will show him new ways to look (and play) the game that will reignite Laine’s curiosity and passion.

Can’t wait to see that play out on the ice as early as tomorrows workout

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I'll always remember Patrik Kane in tears talking to the media when savard got let go.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Put Pure Laine in a positive situation. Start him on the second line with Dach and XX so he doesn't feel too much pressure to produce. Give him proper PP time. Let him be himself and watch.

This experiment has a 2 years plan. If it works, he is young enough to give him a 4-5 years extension and make him a crucial part of our core going forward.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad