Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Apparently Laine for RyJo was happening until Laine nixed the trade

Yea. Not sure if Philly was a team on his no-trade list, but it was reported that he did nix a deal with Philly that would send RyJo back the other way, giving Columbus the chance to place him on LTIR. Word is that Laine didn't want to play for Torts, who he had in Columbus for one season.

Worked in Habs' favor. And I'm convinced playing for MSL was one of the biggest reasons he wanted to come to Montreal. He did say in his introductory Zoom conference that he's spoken to guys who play(ed) for MSL and they all said how great it is playing for him.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
I really hope we can catch a break and our 2nd line stays mostly healthy. Newhook, Dach and Laine combined for 75 games played last season. If they all bounce back big with 70+ games each then I don't see any reason why they can't all reach 60+ points.

Newhook managed a 50 point pace last year playing with guys nowhere near Laine and Dach's level.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
2024 Sasha Barkov
2023 Mark Stone
2022 Gabriel Landeskog
2021 Steven Stamkos
2020 Steven Stamkos
2019 Alex Pietrangelo
2018 Alex Ovechkin - Not boring
2017 Sidney Crosby
2016 Sidney Crosby
2015 Jonathan Toews
2014 Dustin Brown
2013 Jonathan Toews
2012 Dustin Brown
2011 Zdeno Chara
2010 Jonathan Toews

Captains of recent cup winners.

There's only one guy on the entire list who shows a pulse.

I almost fell asleep just reading these guys names and thinking about their character. zzzzz
The thing is most of them have supreme character below the surface and as was pointed out are taught to keep a level head in public.
I don't give a rat's ass about what we perceive as being boring it's only the leadership on the ice in the crucial moments that counts.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I agree. There are some areas where if we improve, it changes things more than most realize. Our chances at making the playoffs are not 0-10%. It's a reach to say we will make it but it's also weak to say we won't even come close.

16 pts or 8 wins is the difference. Basically 1 win/month ish. And last season, we accepted tank strategy from TDL to end of season as well.

One area I hope Laine doesn't change is his willingness to shoot the puck. He's joining a new team with lots of young talent and I bet you he passes the puck in shooting areas in some areas. Hopefully he maintains that shooter mentality.
8 wins if you expect that we maintain that 16 OTL pace which is highly doubtful.
RW and ROW are where it is at when looking at making the post season.
The 4 point games within the conference will always tell the tale of the tape.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Gary Bettman is a f***ing idiot.

There's literally no reason to have training camps open at the end of September and the Cup won 3 days before the draft.

Training camps should start on Labor Day, period.
Totally this will also help with the congestion and health risks associated with condensed schedules in Olympic years.
Finishing later once every four years would be fine.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yea. Not sure if Philly was a team on his no-trade list, but it was reported that he did nix a deal with Philly that would send RyJo back the other way, giving Columbus the chance to place him on LTIR. Word is that Laine didn't want to play for Torts, who he had in Columbus for one season.

Worked in Habs' favor. And I'm convinced playing for MSL was one of the biggest reasons he wanted to come to Montreal. He did say in his introductory Zoom conference that he's spoken to guys who play(ed) for MSL and they all said how great it is playing for him.
That team was Minny … Laine refused to go to Wild

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Totally this will also help with the congestion and health risks associated with condensed schedules in Olympic years.
Finishing later once every four years would be fine.
I actually think it has to do with the nfl and their start of the year. He don’t want to go against them to start the season. Not judging if right or wrong . Just stating what I believe is the cause

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I actually think it has to do with the nfl and their start of the year. He don’t want to go against them to start the season. Not judging if right or wrong . Just stating what I believe is the cause
The season would begin at least a week later than the NFL if camps started after Labor Day.
The 15th if Labor Day falls on the 1st and the 21st if Labor Day falls on the 7th.
I'm sure there is a reason for their later start date but the NFL factor is the same either way.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Habs weren't on his no trade list I believe, so it wasn't a yes, or no, but not being on the no trade list is a decent sign

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
The thing is most of them have supreme character below the surface and as was pointed out are taught to keep a level head in public.
I don't give a rat's ass about what we perceive as being boring it's only the leadership on the ice in the crucial moments that counts.
This^ Captain's are there to calm the ship on the ice, keep the team focused by setting the standard with their play..

It's why majority of C's are so stoic (or "boring" as the previous poster claimed).

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
The season would begin at least a week later than the NFL if camps started after Labor Day.
The 15th if Labor Day falls on the 1st and the 21st if Labor Day falls on the 7th.
I'm sure there is a reason for their later start date but the NFL factor is the same either way.
Yea possible , honestly don’t have info to make the argument , was just speculating

I did an AI command asking for a poem about Laine as though it was from W.H.Audens style;
"The weight of history, the fans' loud cheer,For Laine, a challenge, year by year.To be the one, to lift the cup,In Montreal, where dreams don't stop."
A cup and an mvp is just a start….

Reactions: Conflicted Habs fan

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I wouldn't go judging people's personalities strictly by what they give in shitty, paint by numbers sports interviews. These guys are coached into saying nothing because the media scene is toxic.
It’s their job to be boring.

Rivet telling locker room stories of Koivu is hilarious as well.

That’s insane.

Can’t imagine the media reaction if that came out.

Weak sauce. Gretzky did it in 39 games. Anything worse is bust territory.
Noted bust: Rocket Richard

I did an AI command asking for a poem about Laine as though it was from W.H.Audens style;
"The weight of history, the fans' loud cheer,For Laine, a challenge, year by year.To be the one, to lift the cup,In Montreal, where dreams don't stop."
AI gonna put us all out of work.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I'm not sure why people think Montreal is on many player's no trade list. Particularly players with single digit limits.
It's also a destination some player's would probably waive for at this point if it came to that.
We always hear how much players love playing at the Bell Center maybe that actually means something? :dunno:

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I'm not sure why people think Montreal is on many player's no trade list. Particularly players with single digit limits.
It's also a destination some player's would probably waive for at this point if it came to that.
We always hear how much players love playing at the Bell Center maybe that actually means something? :dunno:
I think it was never montreal but playing for those montreal teams ran like a minor league hockey teams .
Now that we are run like the multibillion franchise we are , many would want to come over .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad