Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
we will need to save up some money for Demidov, Hutson, and Reinbacher. add 2025 first round pick. If Laine ask for 9m+ at the age of 27, let him go.

Lets cross the bridge when we are there

Laine is a special talent. If the mental health is in check and the player is in a good headspace, he can be a real f***ing superstar

It may be worth extending him and we will still have plenty of times to figure out Hutson, Demidov and Reinbacher.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I could be wrong and maybe trying hard to not be a homer but I feel like it's not quite on Matthews and Ovi's level.

I will fold like a tent with anyone who thinks I'm wrong though lol. I don't think I'd ever want Matthews on my team but his shot is absolutely unreal. Laine's looks awesome but not quite as godly as Matthews' and Ovi's.

I don't consider Ovi that way, he's a volume shooter more than a sniper.

I have never seen a better shot than Laine. Matthews is lethal up closer, Laine has a longer reach with his shot. Semin is maybe the closest but not really close

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

Laine is a special talent. If the mental health is in check and the player is in a good headspace, he can be a real f***ing superstar

It may be worth extending him and we will still have plenty of times to figure out Hutson, Demidov and Reinbacher.
That's what was saying for 3 weeks

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
we will need to save up some money for Demidov, Hutson, and Reinbacher. add 2025 first round pick. If Laine ask for 9m+ at the age of 27, let him go.

Demidov plays in unproven MHL and he is not nearly as good as Michkov according to Flyers fans, so don't worry too much about him.

Reinbacher hasn't even played 1 NHL game.

Let's chill breh, these are good problems to have, but let's also not count our chickens before they hatch.

Reactions: bsl, jrom and rahad

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Wow. Lol. Some guy named Michael Traikos for Hockey News says Laine was wrong guy at wrong position for Habs, should have gotten a top 6C. Sure . Okay bud. Show me the top 6C we could get for Jordan Harris. A team can be stacked at a position, but if you can grab a player with a sky high upside to risk ratio, you get him even if he plays that stacked position.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Still feels weird to log in here and see a player discussion thread about Patrick Laine.

Can't believe we got him.
Very similar feeling i had when we were slotting Kirby Dach in our lines. Just even more surreal.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Unless he's hurt, there is no reason to wait to resign him if that's a fit. What do you think you will discover in that second year that you won't know after a complete year?
That a player that has shown massive consistency issues can be good 2 years in a row? Super pumped to get Laine but I'm very glad we have 2 years to make a decision.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Obviously ChatGpt has been hanging out with Leafs fans:

"Predicting when the Toronto Maple Leafs will win the Stanley Cup is challenging. They last won in 1967 and have faced many ups and downs since. While they have a strong roster and passionate fanbase, success in the NHL playoffs can be unpredictable. It could happen soon, but there's no way to know for sure. Fans are hoping it will be sooner rather than later!"

I probed it a for an actual prediction

Predicting an exact year is even more challenging, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say the Leafs might have a strong shot around 2027. It gives them a few more years to build and strengthen their team while accounting for the inevitable ups and downs of a sports season. Of course, it's all speculative and part of the fun of being a fan!

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Wow. Lol. Some guy named Michael Traikos for Hockey News says Laine was wrong guy at wrong position for Habs, should have gotten a top 6C. Sure . Okay bud. Show me the top 6C we could get for Jordan Harris. A team can be stacked at a position, but if you can grab a player with a sky high upside to risk ratio, you get him even if he plays that stacked position.
And how could they not give Dach at least one season to see how he bounces back??

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal

At what price? he is going to be 28 by the end of his contract. He will ask for 6-7 years. Are you okay to sign him until his 35? If Laine can play great hockey. It will accelerate the rebuild.

i have no problem with resigning him at a good price. Kent has been very good at signing player. we had 0 bad contract under Kent.

Last edited:

Bobby Holik agent

erudite free agency sci-fi
Oct 17, 2002
Montreal
If i would build the perfect shooting technique players i give him Alexander Semin wrist shot.
Al Mcinnis slap shot.
but maybe the best shot of all time is Patrik Laine against those poor Toronto Maple Leafs goaltenders.
They didn't choose him #1 & the vengeance level he's settle in is absolutely unreal.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I don't consider Ovi that way, he's a volume shooter more than a sniper.

I have never seen a better shot than Laine. Matthews is lethal up closer, Laine has a longer reach with his shot. Semin is maybe the closest but not really close
He was both. He took a lot of shots, and he wasn't that great (well, relative to himself) of a finisher on his offside. But guy had some insane sh% from what are usually low danger areas lol

(picked one season but his shooting maps all look similar)
1724292794789.png

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I really want this guy more than 2 years. I'm a very big fan of him since day one. (I'm very confident that he is going to love Montreal).

Elite hands, elite shot, elite skating, great passing ability aswell. His tools are too good.

The only concern, it's like Dach... the injuries. But when healthy, we are going to love this guy.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
My expectation:

YEARS 1:

- Best shot on the teams.
-PP1 with a focus on his bombmaking buisness.
-Atrocious defensively. 2nd liner with one guys on his line always busy doing all the dirty work.
-Laine, Dach, grinder.
-Seem to miss at least 15 games every years.
-His godlike cheatcode years was between 17 to 19 years old shooting at 18%. Nowadays dosen't hit 16%.
-With his shoulder injury and mental drama i'm gonna put him at 14%
-Dosen't shoot the puck enough like Austin Matthews does. Alaways had that problems.

60games - 25g - 34a = 59pts.

YEARS 2:

-upcoming UFA at 27, good stuff.
-it those kind of magical years Scott Gomez find a way to score 32 goals someway, somehow.
-Let say he's goes up to 17%.

67games - 39g - 47a = 86pts.

YEARS 3:
HE GONE. SIGN WITH THE DALLAS STARS.
3 sure things in life: death + tax + those momentary alive don't like being tax.

gg glhf bro.
Nah, he's had problems with teams his whole career, and he's looking for stability, and also a big hockey market.

If he leaves its because the team doesn't look like it will compete for the cup for a while, or some chemistry issue. I don't think it'll be a money thing.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
That a player that has shown massive consistency issues can be good 2 years in a row? Super pumped to get Laine but I'm very glad we have 2 years to make a decision.
I expect him to be inconsistent yet score 30 goals. I’m very good with that, we absolutely need to get out of the NHL cellar in goals scored if we want a shot at the Cup. My concern is how he fits with the team. Will he be happy with the niche he carves out and will his teammates be OK with him.

Reactions: GrandBison

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad