LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The usual crowd is circling trying to get an elite player for free or their scraps lol.

Laine is a great player and I have no doubt he could score 50 with the right center & powerplay. Someone is gonna pay up with a 1st + good prospect and look like a genius a few seasons from now
While I would be absoluately thrilled to see something like that at this point it's not realistic and not an expectation by CBJ fans (although it seems like many on here want to insinuate that's our expectation, but whatever). I have no idea the return but his injury history is real and that's his biggest draw back. He's not a play driver and needs to be a piece not THE piece. Still has elite skills but being constantly derailed has hurt his return. I agree, he could still score 50, but I think his return is likely that of something of an overpaid 25 goal scorer with very high upside type market

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
You honestly believe Laine has the same trade value at Brady Tkatchuk?
You honestly think that was the point? You used +/- to solidify your argument. Such a horrible stat to determine a players value. Push the injury issue and stay there as the biggest point of contention with Laine, because that's really about it from a severe impact to his value.

Feb 5, 2016
If Columbus can’t find a trade for Patrik Laine due to lack of interest or teams not wanting to add an $8.7mil cap hit to their books, would Laine except a mutual contract termination with the Blue Jackets.

We would find out much does Laine really wants out of Columbus, as Laine surely isn’t getting another contract near $8.7mil per season from his game play in Columbus.

Reactions: JKG33

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I'm willing to give him a shot in Pittsburgh for a number of reasons.

Pens could use a goal scorer and Laine's term matches up with our last hoorah window. Beats the hell out of giving a new guy 6-7 years on the inflated UFA market. Sid and Geno - despite their age - are the 2 most skilled centers Laine would have ever played with.

Definitely risky but I don't feel theres many better ways of landing a guy with this skill level. We are in our "who gives a f*** anymore" era so honestly why not. I don't see the cost being 1st+ given the situation.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
2024 WPG 1st + one of Harris/Barron + Josh Anderson.

What do you CJB fans think about this?
Habs offer Anderson + 26OA + Harris for Laine.

No retention.
His cap hit is an albatross for such a risky player. Huge risk involved here. Could be a huge pay off if he returns to form and stays healthy.

From the Habs one of Gally or Anderson needs ro be included. We can't have 3 players that are overpaid. Either player would still provide some cap relief for The Jackets.

Anderson + Winnipeg 1st + Jordan Harris.
2024 WPG 1st, Mike Matheson, Josh Anderson

for,

Patrik Laine, Kent Johnson
I detect a pattern here. :shakehead

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
A big hockey market and an ''european vibe'' city like Montreal could do wonder to Laine.
Would offer Win 1st-our 3rd pick- Struble or Harris and Dvorak
Dvorak instead of Anderson doesn't make the base package any more useful for the Jackets; it just means you don't get to be part of the meme.

EDIT: For clarification - there's nowhere for Harris to play here and the 1st isn't particularly enticing because our prospect pool has already been built.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Dvorak instead of Anderson doesn't make the base package any more useful for the Jackets; it just means you don't get to be part of the meme.
Hes cheaper , only have one year left on his contract and he is a center which they need. Not comparable at all with Anderson

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hes cheaper , only have one year left on his contract and he is a center which they need. Not comparable at all with Anderson
Sorry, I ninja-edited on you:
EDIT: For clarification - there's nowhere for Harris to play here and the 1st isn't particularly enticing because our prospect pool has already been built.
It's not outright bad like the Andy proposals, it's just not a good fit.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I frankly am not sure how to make it happen because by and large we need the same things and are hesitant to give up the same things.

Laine asked for a trade so he put pressure on the jackets. When hes healthy he is still a very good player but fair to say he comes with a lot of risk. Health wise and players program so is value is on the low side. Plus he has a large cap hit which will complicate the trade. Montreal has room to take the cap hit and have interesting prospects. I think there is a match here

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Hehe dont worry about it.
What would be your ask from MTL in a potential trade for Laine?

We could retain a significant amount and add a sweetener for #5 OA ;)

In all seriousness, I don’t see a path to MTL acquiring him unless if it was something they would think twice about giving up. We’re not good trade partners.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Laine asked for a trade so he put pressure on the jackets. When hes healthy he is still a very good player but fair to say he comes with a lot of risk. Health wise and players program so is value is on the low side. Plus he has a large cap hit which will complicate the trade. Montreal has room to take the cap hit and have interesting prospects. I think there is a match here
The issue is that Montreal's highly stocked on Good Depth Prospects, but so is Columbus. Both particularly on the blueline - we're both foreseeing issues w/r/t not having enough ice time to develop the folks we have, so both teams are interested in moving those guys for more established types (or risks that could get more established types). Same is true at wing and center over here, and while I'm less certain about those for y'all up there I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case for you guys too. We want skilled mentors to develop the kids, but that's a Montreal need too. We'd like an established goaltender to help with our promising-looking kid - oh, hey, that probably also sounds familiar. And more experience on the blueline et cetera et cetera and so on...

It's just awkward all around. We can circle back to Montreal if we don't get fortunate elsewhere because in the end there is legit value to be had, but just because of the nature of what you have to offer versus what we already have, y'all won't be at the top of the guest list.

Reactions: Archijerej

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
We could retain a significant amount and add a sweetener for #5 OA ;)

In all seriousness, I don’t see a path to MTL acquiring him unless if it was something they would think twice about giving up. We’re not good trade partners.

The 5th OA maybe could be in play in a blockbuster trade but that would required Johnson to be part of the trade as well

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The issue is that Montreal's highly stocked on Good Depth Prospects, but so is Columbus. Both particularly on the blueline - we're both foreseeing issues w/r/t not having enough ice time to develop the folks we have, so both teams are interested in moving those guys for more established types (or risks that could get more established types). Same is true at wing and center over here, and while I'm less certain about those for y'all up there I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case for you guys too. We want skilled mentors to develop the kids, but that's a Montreal need too. We'd like an established goaltender to help with our promising-looking kid - oh, hey, that probably also sounds familiar. And more experience on the blueline et cetera et cetera and so on...

It's just awkward all around. We can circle back to Montreal if we don't get fortunate elsewhere because in the end there is legit value to be had, but just because of the nature of what you have to offer versus what we already have, y'all won't be at the top of the guest list.
Not many times that I read.."y'all". 😀

I can't see how we take 8.7 million without shedding at least 5. Then there is the obvious issue and high probability of that money going to waste. Lastly, that money can be used to sign someone like Reinhart, which is not even on the same planet in comparibles.

I can't see any path forward unless this is a friendly trade where return is not the issue as much as how to accommodate the player and the teams.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Laine has a 10 team NTC. If part of his struggles have to do with expectations that are placed on him, I could see the Canadian teams being listed.

Even if Laine waived to facilitate a trade, a trade involving Anderson would be a non-starter. The reason for that is because a primary source of animosity from Anderson towards Columbus came from the fact that they pretty much told him straight on that the team does not think he is worth the contract that he ended up getting in Montreal. You don't tell a player "haha fat chance" and then later trade for him while he's on the very contract you shot down.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
You're going to have a lot of non-Laine people telling you the answer to this as if they know.
You're responding credulously to a rhetorical question. The point being made is that there often seems to be something wrong with Laine requiring him to leave a team or leave the game entirely, and after a while that lowers a player's value.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Honestly - CBJ is delusional if they think they have a ton of value here in Laine.

8.7 million for a player that has removed CBJ's leverage by publicly asking for a trade and has a history like he does?

He is a big risk for a team to spend valuable assets on. I would significantly lower any expectations CBJ fans might have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad