LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Brady Tkachuck is -57, yet everyone is making trade propoasals for him. That's just what happens when you play for a shitty team.

Not even going to go over the rest of the post. I don't even particularly like Laine, but some people are gravely mistaken on his potential value and interest he would gather around the league.
You honestly believe Laine has the same trade value at Brady Tkatchuk?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That isn't what he was saying at all. He was showing you an example of why +/- is a shitty stat to use for player valuation
This

Laine is a natural talent, and there isn't that much to go around. There are bottom teams with capspace that can afford this bet, even with full value. Seattle, San Jose, Anaheim, Utah, Chicago... just to name a few.

Now I'm not saying Columbus is going to fetch some huge haul here, but some people are basically suggesting it's all scraps or that CBJ even has to pay to get rid of him? Nonsense. They would get back some assets and a lesser prospect. If Columbus were to retain, obviously that gets better.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
The usual crowd is circling trying to get an elite player for free or their scraps lol.

Laine is a great player and I have no doubt he could score 50 with the right center & powerplay. Someone is gonna pay up with a 1st + good prospect and look like a genius a few seasons from now
Lets be honest here...Florida is going hoist the cup tomorrow. There's going to be some FO out there that is gonna act like the next Florida and try to get a high risk/high reward reclamation project and Laine is still young, coming back into the season fresh and he's a big boy. Someone out there is going to offer Columbus a decent prospect/player, probably a 2024/2025 2/3rd for 20-30% retention costs for Columbus' time (A deal like this probably happens in July when all the good FA are gone and some front office out there gets desperate for more fire power) and a 2026 draft pick that escalates all the way up to a 1st if Laine hits games played thresholds during the remainder of his contract.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Someone is gonna pay up with a 1st + good prospect and look like a genius a few seasons from now
That's a bit rich I think. If we were talking about Laine before his injury issues and entering PAP, being a PPG player in Columbus? I guess. But not at this point.

That doesn't mean he won't return value. But 1st and a good prospect? Nah.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That isn't what he was saying at all. He was showing you an example of why +/- is a shitty stat to use for player valuation
Plus/minus is a very good stat as part of player valuation. Brady Tkatchuk contributes in a lot of ways other than scoring. What exactly does Laine do to contribute when he’s not scoring?

• Haha
Reactions: Fro and Shocker

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Forgot to include Jones, Anderson, Johansen, et al
Peeke, we were going to have to pay to get rid of him. PLD was also going to have to be given away. Hell, even all the way back to Nash - he wasn't going to get multiple top-6 Cs, let alone with adds.

I genuinely do not think there has ever even once in the history of the Columbus Blue Jackets franchise where, when a player from here is known to be available, outside fans have actually been consistently more correct on the eventual return than "obviously biased homer" Jackets fans. Ever.

But nope, we're all still biased ignorant homer rubes from a small non-hockey market who just don't know how hockey trades and market values work, apparently.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Peeke, we were going to have to pay to get rid of him. PLD was also going to have to be given away. Hell, even all the way back to Nash - he wasn't going to get multiple top-6 Cs, let alone with adds.

I genuinely do not think there has ever even once in the history of the Columbus Blue Jackets franchise where, when a player from here is known to be available, outside fans have actually been consistently more correct on the eventual return than "obviously biased homer" Jackets fans. Ever.

But nope, we're all still biased ignorant homer rubes from a small non-hockey market who just don't know how hockey trades and market values work, apparently.

At least you all understand it.

This

Laine is a natural talent, and there isn't that much to go around. There are bottom teams with capspace that can afford this bet, even with full value. Seattle, San Jose, Anaheim, Utah, Chicago... just to name a few.

Now I'm not saying Columbus is going to fetch some huge haul here, but some people are basically suggesting it's all scraps or that CBJ even has to pay to get rid of him? Nonsense. They would get back some assets and a lesser prospect. If Columbus were to retain, obviously that gets better.

I think you likely see Columbus either get a 1st, cap dump type package similar (but not as bad) to the return PIT gave up for EK65 or they take a lesser return for a better player.

For example Anaheim, I could see the deal being like McGinn, a 2nd, and like Jacob Perreault or a 1st and Ryan Strome.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Plus/minus is a very good stat as part of player valuation. Brady Tkatchuk contributes in a lot of ways other than scoring. What exactly does Laine do to contribute when he’s not scoring?

Sure. When Laine played in a better team (winnipeg) and got 1st line duties, he was often leading the team in +/- . In CBJ the other season, he was the only player who ended with a positive 5 on 5.

He elevates his linemates. He creates a lot of high quality offense in many ways (he is a very good passer and has good vision, the threat of his shot draws a lot of attention to him, leaving more room for linemates to work with) and doesn't cheat on defense.

You don't know what Laine contributes and that's fine. I don't know enough about say Matt Boldy to make assessments about his worth to a team. But I acknowledge that I don't watch Matt Boldy enough to know that stuff, you could do the same with Laine.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sure. When Laine played in a better team (winnipeg) and got 1st line duties, he was often leading the team in +/- . In CBJ the other season, he was the only player who ended with a positive 5 on 5.

You don't know what Laine contributes and that's fine. I don't know enough about say Matt Boldy to make assessments about his worth to a team. But I acknowledge that I don't watch Matt Boldy enough to know that stuff, you could do the same with Laine.
Pshaw. Why would you ever have to actually watch Laine? He's all famous and stuff; there's more than enough hot takes out there to form a coherent opinion. Besides, he plays for the Blue Jackets. Who would ever want to watch that team?

Cynical? Me? YOU'RE G-DDAMN RIGHT.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
8.7 million for a guy that is a one dimensional goal scorer who only plays when he wants and doesnt play both ways. Dont even need to get started about the kind of teammate he appears to be, plus he is a risk to be in player assistance program literally right now. He has scored 62 goals since 2020. No team that is serious about winning is dedicating 10% of their cap to a player like that.
This explains to me why he had the best stats at 5v5, and also defensively. Do you have anything else there? Like, he plays Fortnite from morning till night and stuff like that. :laugh:

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Think he’d be a good target for NYI. They need a top-line winger, and if he’s truly passed his MH barriers or managing them, he could thrive with Barzal.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Think he’d be a good target for NYI. They need a top-line winger, and if he’s truly passed his MH barriers or managing them, he could thrive with Barzal.
Sure for about a month or so.

Part of the problem with Laine is that he sometimes looks like a world class talent but he is kind of the Finnish version of Taylor Hall in his prime except with injury problems as well.

Teams are jumping up and down hoping to get him nor his contract even if it's only for 2 more years.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
What we know is he can score goals in the NHL. Now comes all the baggage. Like it or not, baggage matters today more than ever before. Doesn’t mean he’s worthless but it absolutely effects his value.

There will be teams who will watch his tape and see he’s NOT a soft player like some people randomly assume. There’s been full seasons where he’s hard to play against. Then there’s seasons where he’s not. That’s almost always an effort thing. Now, why does he have an effort issue?

That’s the baggage question that has to be answered before any manager is pulling a trigger. In fact, I’d wager if there’s pucks involved in any trade for him, they will be 2025 picks. They’ll be attached to his performance.

Or he’s going in a trade for another player with some question marks heading into 24’-25’ season.

This has Colorado written all over it. He’s replace Nichushkin in the lineup and play with some really skilled players. What goes the other way? Who knows. Like I said, if there’s picks included, I’m gonna guess they’re 2025 picks.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
genuinely do not think there has ever even once in the history of the Columbus Blue Jackets franchise where, when a player from here is known to be available, outside fans have actually been consistently more correct on the eventual return than "obviously biased homer" Jackets fans. Ever.

Every time there's a trade thread involving a prominent CBJ player, you go on endless maundering, paranoid diatribes about the same kinds of behaviour all fanbases encounter in threads like these and claim it's all because people look down on Columbus fans.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Every time there's a trade thread involving a prominent CBJ player, you go on endless maundering, paranoid diatribes about the same kinds of behaviour all fanbases encounter in threads like these and claim it's all because people look down on Columbus fans.
I'm also a Preds fan and it's nowhere near as consistent there. Try again.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
You know, it’s funny how outside fanbases continue to tell us CBJ fans what our players are worth in trades. And then when said player gets traded, history has shown that HFCBJ tends to more correctly value our players. I’m looking forward to seeing most of you all be shocked at what Laine eventually returns.
That and the use of the old narrative that clearly has NOT been Laine in Columbus. The guy has had injury issues. That's been the biggest issue with generating any consistency for him on the ice. Can't do that if you're not playing. The lazy, no D, cancer schtick is just old and very telling that someone hasn't watched him play in Columbus. Not like we didn't expect to see that here.

I don't expect a haul for him and agree he's certainly a buy low-ish candidate. Just interested to see the direction it goes. And if it's actually true that this was all prior to him going in the PAP program... maybe a discussion with Waddell changes his mind becuase he didn't like the direction. We'll find out soon enough I'm sure. I'm just enjoying the mis-informed.

Reactions: VT and Viqsi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad