LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Anderson for Laine :naughty:

Sorry @Viqsi :D
chainsaw.gif

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
While drawing up predictions for the offseason, I proposed this trade, which is very in line with multiple players getting changes of scenery, including Laine. He would have to waive his NTC though, maybe he does it just to get the fresh start?

To Ottawa: Laine + Boqvist
To Columbus: Norris + Brannstrom

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Can we interest you in a slightly used Huberdeau? Him and Johnny can both not fill the same role. On a serious note, who wants this guy? My guess is they have to add to move him.
This guy has 1 PPG and close to 1 PPG (52 in 55 games) often with AHL level defense, last season Werenski only played 13 games, Bean 14 and over 50 games played by Peeke (80), Gudbranson (70), Berni (59), Gavrikov (52), Bayreuther (51), over 30 - Boqvist (46), Blankenburg (36), Bjork (33). Only Boqvist had excellent offense, other either average (Gudbranson, Gavrikov, maybe Berni) or under average. The center was Roslovic. Rangers fans can tell you what kind of player he is. He even as a winger is just a bit above average, let alone a center.

And was one of the few who wasn't dependent on partners.

He played 14 games this season after his concussion and still had 7 points, including 5 points (3+2) in his last 6 games.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Probably where his treatment is taking place.

I disagree that CBJ won’t get much here - talent like Laine is hard to come by.

This guy is hardly Galchenyuk - I see someone doing well picking Laine up. Maybe in Tampa if Stammer leaves.

I think he has incredible value, but there is the asterisk of if he can stay healthy and any trade partner will use that as leverage. So the return will never be what the player quality should return.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
While drawing up predictions for the offseason, I proposed this trade, which is very in line with multiple players getting changes of scenery, including Laine. He would have to waive his NTC though, maybe he does it just to get the fresh start?

To Ottawa: Laine + Boqvist
To Columbus: Norris + Brannstrom
Don't want anything to do with that Norris contract.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I think he has incredible value, but there is the asterisk of if he can stay healthy and any trade partner will use that as leverage. So the return will never be what the player quality should return.
I can partially agree with this. You’re not getting 50 goal value for Laine.

But this guy has serious potential, especially to a team like Toronto with a struggling power play.

I still see a 1st + solid roster player minimum.

Or a package deal with Laine as the centrepiece with other quality assets as a “trade-up” for a player like Marner.

The more I think of it a Laine - Marner base makes good sense for both teams. Laine strikes me as someone who wouldn’t give a shit about the Toronto media, and would probably give it back to them often.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The return would be a sticking point.

You aren't getting a player as good as Laine for Laine.

They'd be hoping to get what Winnipeg got for PLD but I'd think GMs have learned

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
New Jersey and Buffalo's 1st sound like pretty close value if the Jackets are selling. Maybe Laine +? It could get interesting if one of those teams are taking a liking to Laine

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

But this guy has serious potential, especially to a team like Toronto with a struggling power play.

Or a package deal with Laine as the centrepiece with other quality assets as a “trade-up” for a player like Marner.

The more I think of it a Laine - Marner base makes good sense for both teams. Laine strikes me as someone who wouldn’t give a shit about the Toronto media, and would probably give it back to them often.
That's basically what we'd hope for, but whether or not it's attainable is going to be dependent on how much other GMs think they can pull a fast one on Waddell.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The return would be a sticking point.

You aren't getting a player as good as Laine for Laine.

They'd be hoping to get what Calgary got for PLD but I'd think GMs have learned
I think we can do with less than the PLD return if need be (although that would be AMAZING). The red flags and concerns with him are pretty well known. It's just exasperating that some folks keep acting like he's a useless cap dump whose only value is in early performance hype.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think we can do with less than the PLD return if need be (although that would be AMAZING). The red flags and concerns with him are pretty well known. It's just exasperating that some folks keep acting like he's a useless cap dump whose only value is in early performance hype.
People will pretend he's a cap dump until their team gets him lol

Laine still has real potential to be a superstar

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Google answered this to me:
Geographically, Finland could be considered Scandinavian and at one time was a part of the Swedish Kingdom. Most Finns are Lutherans, as Scandinavians used to be. However, Finnish is not a Scandinavian language and Finns are ethnically distinct from Scandinavians.

I wonder how are they not ethnically the same though when everybody is tall and blonde?
Isn't Finnish closer to Mongolian? I recall reading something like that.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
That's basically what we'd hope for, but whether or not it's attainable is going to be dependent on how much other GMs think they can pull a fast one on Waddell.
I think HF will be surprised at the quality of return Laine gets.

Young man is a special talent and an absolute gamer (no pun intended).

This is one of those situations where everyone will p***yfoot around with 2nds and poor preforming roster players, a GM will step up and pay essentially rental prices and win GM of the year.

Rental prices being : 1st, roster player and maybe a prospect.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
No career losers like Buffalo or sens. This guys going through the ringer of shit f***ing places to play.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Let's be honest. If LeBrun is right, GMs will try to exploit his problems as much as they can. Although injuries are pretty unlucky and he's always come back earlier than planned and is no longer injured in that part of body, at least his mental issues make his value lower.

Never. Fortunately Marner will never wants to play in our team.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
That's an inherent risk for any team acquiring a new player.

If I'm Don Waddell - I make him available for a return that matches his value on paper. If no offers match that, then I tell Laine that we tried but unfortunately didn't get enough of an offer.
That's a huge risk, if no one is willing to pay and he doesn't get what he wants, maybe he sulks and plays even worse, or gets injured yet again which lowers his value and maybe you get almost nothing before he becomes a UFA.

The Habs got burned by doing this before with Monahan, if he's an injury prone player you don't wait to trade him.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Let's be honest. If LeBrun is right, GMs will try to exploit his problems as much as they can. Although injuries are pretty unlucky and he's always come back earlier than planned and is no longer injured in that part of body, at least his mental issues make his value lower.

I have serious doubts you've ever seen marner play hockey if you believe this.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't really consider that fortunate. Marner is one of the few players competitive with Laine in the realm of "catching absurd amounts of hate and dismissal for the stupidest reasons".

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That's a huge risk, if no one is willing to pay and he doesn't get what he wants, maybe he sulks and plays even worse, or gets injured yet again which lowers his value and maybe you get almost nothing before he becomes a UFA
Laine hasn't done any sulking and we wouldn't expect that outcome. Getting injured again is a concern regardless, but we have two years left so we can let this play out if need be. Indeed, that was likely the play before this news came out, and it hypothetically still could be.

Reactions: Marioesque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad