Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The fact is no one really needs Laine.

The fact is that it's early August and most of the GMs are out on the lake.

I think many will shy away from the risk of Laine. But the good version of Laine, which we saw for 110 or so games, is well worth it. They do need that. Carolina certainly needs that. It's just a matter of whether someone will take the risk.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The fact is that it's early August and most of the GMs are out on the lake.

I think many will shy away from the risk of Laine. But the good version of Laine, which we saw for 110 or so games, is well worth it. They do need that. Carolina certainly needs that. It's just a matter of whether someone will take the risk.
You know I like Patrik and find the proposals of fans of other clubs ridiculous. But let's face it, do they need him? Montreal will wait for Demidov, Carolina is giving more chances to young players this season, Buffalo also has young talent, as do other teams. And if they really wanted him, they wouldn't make offers like for 13 players on an ECHL team.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
You know I like Patrik and find the proposals of fans of other clubs ridiculous. But let's face it, do they need him?
but the question isn't "does this team need patrik laine?" – the question is "do we need to score more goals?"

for teams who answer "yes" to that (read: most teams) the next questions are "who is available?" and "can we afford that player?"

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Figured I’d bring this post over here as it might have some interest to people.

Interesting that he was on the 1980 Miracle Team prior to the Olympics and said the movie was very accurate.

DW made it clear Laine’s time here is done.

Said his ideal team is strong down the middle and good goaltending. Also Monahan is the clear #1 Center.

He is very honest and down to earth. Really like DW.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
but the question isn't "does this team need patrik laine?" – the question is "do we need to score more goals?"

for teams who answer "yes" to that (read: most teams) the next questions are "who is available?" and "can we afford that player?"
And is Patrik the solution? No one doubts his quality, which is why fans underestimate his value. But do the GMs feel the same way? How true are these suggestions?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
And is Patrik the solution? No one doubts his quality, which is why fans underestimate his value. But do the GMs feel the same way? How true are these suggestions?
How many times has a GM signed someone or traded for him and fans have asked "has the GM watched this player in the last 3 years?"

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
You know I like Patrik and find the proposals of fans of other clubs ridiculous. But let's face it, do they need him? Montreal will wait for Demidov, Carolina is giving more chances to young players this season, Buffalo also has young talent, as do other teams. And if they really wanted him, they wouldn't make offers like for 13 players on an ECHL team.
Our GM has stated that he's looking to add a top 6 forward. It's rumoured we made an offer on UFA Jonathan Marchessault. So I'm not sure if our GM is willing to wait until Demidov arrives.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Our GM has stated that he's looking to add a top 6 forward. It's rumoured we made an offer on UFA Jonathan Marchessault. So I'm not sure if our GM is willing to wait until Demidov arrives.
also, laine has two years left on his deal.

what if demidov comes over next year? oh no, laine might play over a young rookie on an ELC foe one year!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Haha...I would be happy to accept. She's definitely on my top 10 list of favourite posters.
Oy. Well, never let it be said that I'm inaccessible on the basis of flattery. :D

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Oy. Well, never let it be said that I'm inaccessible on the basis of flattery. :D

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg
Thank you. I've enjoyed your posts over the years. Especially on the Trade board. I have a question though. How do you keep your cool? I really want to know how you do it. lol

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
...I keep my cool? :whaaa?: ;)

I take breaks now and again. And I imagine the other guy fuming while I'm smiling in their face. :nod:
Oh absolutely lol

I was an admin here for awhile. I've seen first hand how other moderators crack under the...let's call it stupidness that is thrown their way. While you might be at your edge. You have an eloquent way of putting the other guy/girl in their place lol, when it's needed. Very commendable. :)

Oh and sorry for taking this thread off track. This was just my way of giving you a well deserved pat on the back. This board is lucky to have you.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Oh absolutely lol

I was an admin here for awhile. I've seen first hand how other moderators crack under the...let's call it stupidness that is thrown their way. While you might be at your edge. You have an eloquent way of putting the other guy/girl in their place lol, when it's needed. Very commendable. :)

Oh and sorry for taking this thread off track. This was just my way of giving you a well deserved pat on the back. This board is lucky to have you.
You are like the anti-troll...I need my boots so I can wade through all this crap ;)

BTW...Eric Engels is a beat writer for the Habs...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Habs10Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad