Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA] D Adam Larsson signs extension with the Kraken (4 years, $5.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Its a fine deal in a vaccuum. I think Larsson is worth that and RD is really sparse market.

But I think the Kraken have had a really bad offseason. That team is going to be stuck in mediocrity for a long time. Francis has no vision or plan. Making the playoffs the one year was the worst thing that could of happened.

Have to agree with this.

This is a VERY tidy piece of business, for any team; to get a right shot defenceman size, shutdown ability, a decent first pass, and the ability to log minutes like he does, for $5.25m without doing crazy term, is an absolute coup.

Take Chris Tanev as a comparable -- 2 years older than Larsson will be when this contract kicks in, a little more money, but it's a contract that he's actually likely to complete... being signed until he's 36 vs 41.

That being said, they do seem to be stuck in a little bit of a purgatory. Their lineup is largely all in their primes... you'd think that Larsson would have made for a great deadline shop.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Its a fine deal in a vaccuum. I think Larsson is worth that and RD is really sparse market.

But I think the Kraken have had a really bad offseason. That team is going to be stuck in mediocrity for a long time. Francis has no vision or plan. Making the playoffs the one year was the worst thing that could of happened.

While I agree with everything you said about Francis, we should consider that Seattle is also a new market (NHL level) and they want to be as competitive as possible, to attract new fans.

As someone who witnessed what happens to young talent on a roster void of leadership and NHL quality depth for a decade I'd have to say if you can add/keep a veteran like Larsson to insulate and mentor, you do it. That's the immediate and long term benefit.

I understand Seattle signing it. I'd more question why Larsson would pass on the shot at joining a contender while still in his prime window to be an impact. This could also be as simple as his family is settled and loves the Pacific Northwest. I'm just bummed out he's not an option to come back to Edmonton.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
While I agree with everything you said about Francis, we should consider that Seattle is also a new market (NHL level) and they want to be as competitive as possible, to attract new fans.

As someone who witnessed what happens to young talent on a roster void of leadership and NHL quality depth for a decade I'd have to say if you can add/keep a veteran like Larsson to insulate and mentor, you do it. That's the immediate and long term benefit.

I don’t disagree but that team isn’t really insulating youth either. Beyond Berniers and Wright they haven’t really drafted high. I am not high on Wright either.

But its not my franchise or team. I just see them stuck between 8-14 worst team but I could easily be wrong.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Cody Ceci, future deadline belle.

Honestly, I could see the Oil trying to get him back near the deadline. Sucks that the Sharks already used all of their retention slots and we’d need a 3rd team, but Ceci was absolutely loved in the locker room and was simply a cap casualty.

Larsson would have been the #1 target.

Connor Murphy might be #2 pending price and option of dual retention.

Ceci is probably #3. I’d rather have him than Savard.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
A team like the kraken, without a long established fanbase, cannot afford to tank.

Their contract decisions this offseason say otherwise.

They have no heir apparent replacement, why wouldn't that sign him?

They likely aren't a playoff team this year but they actively trying to improve the roster and be more competitive and aim to be a bubble team for now is my assumption, otherwise they wouldn't have signed Chandler Stephenson either.

They just signed Montour to a huge deal.

They could easily trade Larsson for a 1st+ this deadline and then use those assets to acquire a younger RHD.

They could get through this season with Borgen as their 2nd pairing RHD.

Reactions: Laus723

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don’t disagree but that team isn’t really insulating youth either. Beyond Berniers and Wright they haven’t really drafted high. I am not high on Wright either.

But its not my franchise or team. I just see them stuck between 8-14 worst team but I could easily be wrong.

The only thing that prevented us from being in the playoffs last season was that our offensive production had a over correction from the season before and getting the scoring issue addressed isn't easy nor is it cheap to address.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Larsson to me seems like a guy that will fall off a cliff in a couple years. This along with the Montour and Stephenson contracts are going to be brutal in a few years.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Their contract decisions this offseason say otherwise.

They just signed Montour to a huge deal.

They could easily trade Larsson for a 1st+ this deadline and then use those assets to acquire a younger RHD.

They could get through this season with Borgen as their 2nd pairing RHD.

That's not a bad take either. I'd have been on board with paying 1st+ at the deadline had Larsson stated he was willing to return to Edmonton.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Very surprised at people questioning the re-signing. This gives us a top-3 D of Dunn, Montour and Larsson for a while.
It's a good contract, but like why are the Kraken signing this contract. Makes no sense for them.

They going to re-sign Gourde too aren't they.
Not re-signing Gourde makes sense. We are loaded on forward prospects. I would not be shocked if they move him this TDL. If Wright clicks and can fit into the 3C role, it makes Gourde expendable.

McCann
Beniers
Stephenson
Bjorkstrand
Burakovsky

The 5 above are locked into the top-6. We also have Schwartz, Tolvanen, Wright who are going to be somewhere in the top-9.

Reactions: Xirik

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Good and fair contract. Glad to have him back, and at this term. He has been a big contributor to the Kraken's success from the word "go."

Reactions: plank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad