Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
We were 23rd in Goals For at 5v5 last year - I guess the improvement came defensively at 5v5?

It is true that we scored less goals at 5v5 than the year before.
Scored 2 less goals and gave up 36 less goals, so like I said we improved significantly at our 5 on 5 play which was the goal of the coaching staff.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I will be shocked if Laine doesn't start on pp1. If pp1 was great last season then maybe, but it was awful. They finished bottom 6, and from late January onward, they had the 2nd worst pp in the league.

Marty is also not going to want to start his relationship with Laine by pissing him off.

It's going to be a chemistry and team fit management. No doubt MSL is going to try several things in camp and in pre season games.

What I wonder about is how do they manage Caufield and Laine who like the same half wall spot on the PP.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They improved their 5 on 5 play..?

The improvement came with more puck possession time in the offensive end IMO. In the season prior, they were lucky to have 30 seconds of offensive zone time because most of the time, they were having a hard time entering and keeping the puck. Still had some of those issues last season but not as much.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It's going to be a chemistry and team fit management. No doubt MSL is going to try several things in camp and in pre season games.

What I wonder about is how do they manage Caufield and Laine who like the same half wall spot on the PP.
I think initially they will both be on the PP1, they both might like the same spot, but they are also both extremely talented and can other things beyond one-timing spots from one particular spot. So they'll both be given every chance to find a way to make it work.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I don't know if he can fix it. But if he do fix it. Ya better watch out.

If there’s something you can fix it’s your shot.

I think Laine never adjusted after his first few seasons, maybe lack of maturity.

We have a bunch of guys who seem to have the growth mindset on the team, I hope they rub off on him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think initially they will both be on the PP1, they both might like the same spot, but they are also both extremely talented and can other things beyond one-timing spots from one particular spot. So they'll both be given every chance to find a way to make it work.

Exciting times. You don't hear the Habs haters as much lately. haha. They know we are on the rise and shut their mouth.

I think there is going to be some competition between Laine and Caufield on who can score more and Suzuki is going to tell them both to hold his beer. lol. I think Suzuki has 35-40 in him too. Especially if our line-up is more mature and has more talent.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
One final thing about improved 5on5, it's a flawed stat so take it with a grain of salt but in terms of expected goals for we went from 152.52 to 163.84.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Not sure where your getting those stats but from naturalstattrick we are
23-24: 19th with a 49.38% GF
22-23: 27th with a 44.75% GF

19th after being 27th and 28th in the 2 years prior, and in terms of actual goals we scored 160 and let in 164 at 5-5.

I thought the eye test was positive in the final stretch. The team played better, they competed, the problem was the lack of talent outside of the first pair and first line. You could see the makings of what a good team looks like.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
I think the 2 dman PP setup with the heavy shot trigger man is a relic of the past. Instead of thinking of the markov-weber, markov-souray, or markov-streit combos, we need to look at the markov-kovalev style duo where he would send no look cross ice passes.

Today's powerplays look at getting shots through traffic using lateral mobility to open up lanes, or finding passing seams through the pk and getting shots off quickly. It's no longer much about powering shots through anymore as much as it is to get the goalie moving and limiting their reaction/setup time.
Why wouldn't you include the option of a heavy point shot?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Veterans don't get the shiny new toy treatment that rookies and prospects do. David Savard was probably one of our steadiest players last year but isn't burning up the pages of HF. Matheson can dazzle you on one play and leave you scratching your head on the next one. He is a great skater who put up career numbers last year and faced tough opposition. He gets criticized for his defensive mistakes more than anything. Caufield has a big new contract and will be scrutinized because of it, par for the course.
I'm an equal opportunity critic. :sarcasm:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Why wouldn't you include the option of a heavy point shot?

I'm just making the observation that the point shots today are becoming increasingly about just getting shots through and having excellent lateral movement to find those shooting lanes.

I don't necessarily have anything against a heavy shot... it's just the way things are trending with today's dmen.

Reactions: Shutdown

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I thought the eye test was positive in the final stretch. The team played better, they competed, the problem was the lack of talent outside of the first pair and first line. You could see the makings of what a good team looks like.
I agree with this, the first 20 games or so was absolutely brutal to watch, you could count the amount of passes we completed in the offensive zone on one hand some of those games

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If we are running a 1-3-1 or an umbrella having a second dman is of no advatage but if they are going to run a traditional pp then 2 dmen are preferable. Under Burrows last season it was strictly 1-3-1 setups as is also my preference but we will have to wait and see what they have in mind this season.
It's very much to our advantage if the Dman in question is our next best skater/puck handler.
Formtion doesn't enter into it..

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm just making the observation that the point shots today are becoming increasingly about just getting shots through and having excellent lateral movement to find those shooting lanes.

I don't necessarily have anything against a heavy shot... it's just the way things are trending with today's dmen.
We saw an example of that with Arber when he first came up he scored some goals just putting the puck on net from some weird angles.
It wasn't his 107 MPH slapshot that was beating the goaltenders.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
yes

went the past 4 years in a row

EDM is almost sold out for that game today
I used to live in the old Avord Arms , now Mainstreet Tower, in Edmonton when I was a young buck going to University and strip bars back in the 90's. I did not know you were an Edmontonian. That would be a great game to see and I'd love to see the new arena in Edmonton. Northlands sure was a character building. Glad you are going!

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I used to live in the old Avord Arms , now Mainstreet Tower, in Edmonton when I was a young buck going to University and strip bars back in the 90's. I did not know you were an Edmontonian. That would be a great game to see and I'd love to see the new arena in Edmonton. Northlands sure was a character building. Glad you are going!
yup
not a Edmonton dude
sasky boy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad