Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
You've seen what our team scoring looks like right.
25/25 with additional tangibles like being "hard to play against or helping the leadership group with the Kids"
so things that came out of his mouth would be a hugely successful season
Ehhhh You don't really get Laine to be hard to play against or for his leadership unless you're talking about Fortnite

• Wow
Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Especially if 1/2 of them are against the Leafs :D
I'll go for his goals split evenly between The Leafs Boston and Ottawa.
Beating theses guys at the outset would be Huge for our team's confidence.
Our October schedule starts with back to back 3 in 4 and 6 in 11.
We are playing two more games in October than we did last season so a good start would be appreciated.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Ehhhh You don't really get Laine to be hard to play against or for his leadership unless you're talking about Fortnite
I don’t know how much that comment from Kent to Laine (that he’ll help the younger guys) just to motivate Laine. He’s a bit of an enigma. I just want the Habs guys to get him to follow the program. We went to get him for his goal-scoring not his leadership or character.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don’t know how much that comment from Kent to Laine (that he’ll help the younger guys) just to motivate Laine. He’s a bit of an enigma. I just want the Habs guys to get him to follow the program. We went to get him for his goal-scoring not his leadership or character.

Who knows. Adam Fantilli stayed with him in Columbus before getting his own place, I doubt that would have happened Laine was a detriment to young players. Laine may also have lots of "learn from my mistakes" insights to share.

The big thing is that Laine is being brought in to be one of the guys, not the guy. And I think both the veteran leaders on the team (Matheson, Savard (who played with him in Columbus), etc.), the young leaders (Suzuki, Caufield) and MSL will at the very least try to make the locker room a good environment for everyone, including Laine.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You guys don't get it.
Everything negative said about Laine was about how bad his body language was and how unpleasant he became when not scoring goals.
Laine will go through slumps just like any other pure goal scorer. The re-enforcement had to start before he ever played a shift.
Either he was just parroting what Kent Hughes and company talked about in private or he truly believes he has more and other attributes of value.
Let's really hope it's the latter and not just lip service.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
We may not be a number 1 on the list of most desired spots for UFA’s, but I don’t think players dislike the idea of coming to a place like Montreal either. Especially for Europeans. As someone whose lived in the prairies their whole life, this isn’t Edmonton, Calgary, or Manitoba. It’s also not a place like Ottawa.
Funny, I was thinking about this the other day. All of the players have lives outside of the game - some have wives / gfs, some with kids - and when looking at a potential destination, things like good schools, amenities, safe neighborhoods are definitely considerations for them and their families. You know what they say about happy wives...

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Who knows. Adam Fantilli stayed with him in Columbus before getting his own place, I doubt that would have happened Laine was a detriment to young players. Laine may also have lots of "learn from my mistakes" insights to share.

The big thing is that Laine is being brought in to be one of the guys, not the guy. And I think both the veteran leaders on the team (Matheson, Savard (who played with him in Columbus), etc.), the young leaders (Suzuki, Caufield) and MSL will at the very least try to make the locker room a good environment for everyone, including Laine.

You guys don't get it.
Everything negative said about Laine was about how bad his body language was and how unpleasant he became when not scoring goals.
Laine will go through slumps just like any other pure goal scorer. The re-enforcement had to start before he ever played a shift.
Either he was just parroting what Kent Hughes and company talked about in private or he truly believes he has more and other attributes of value.

I love the trade in every way. I would do this trade in a heartbeat. If he’s anything more than an inconsistent oddball with a supernatural gift at scoring goals, it’s gravy. History shows a solid team and dressing room can deal with one or two oddballs and win the Cup. I don’t care at all if he’s not mister personality.

Reactions: dinodebino

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
This feels like when we got Kovalev.
There's this small chance that getting Laine turns into a Kovalev 2.0 love affair which is hard to ignore

'lazy', hyper skilled, flowing blonde hair, heavily criticized, great one timer, would be coming in on a deal nearing it's expiry date...

It could also fail spectacularly.

indecisive-i-dont-know.gif

I'm Habstradamus

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I'm curious about how all those people feel who were pissed when we didn't sign players like Cam Atkinson or David Perron. :sarcasm:
Even though I was not pro Laine it was never a question of talent but the red flags and the unknowns.
I don't recall too many trades like this where a management team were given such a clear window into a players life pre-acquisition.
You can't help but be pumped and you can't help but to trust the process. Which I always said I would do.
And those who said never would KH do it

Reactions: Habs10Habs

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Expectation is CBJ will now use the cap space to help the likes of Edm, NYI etc get some AAV relief in exchange for picks / prospects
I don’t know that any of these team really have issue or willing to trade more than a 2nd to solve there issues… They will have to use more than 7M$ for it to make any sense and get back more than a early 2nd… I really don’t believe cap space was a issue for CBJ the issue is the actual money… why would they take a bad contract in order to get asset if they weren’t willing to retain to get more assets?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You guys don't get it.
Ironically the person he can get the most support from is Armia. He was going through the same thing and saw a sports psychologist. He said his turn around was due to that and he turned it around after he learned not to beat himself up over making mistakes.

Sounds exactly like what Laine needs and support from his buddy Joel.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Wonder if Marc Bergevin can look at what Kent Hughes has done in his short time here with the mess of a roster he left him behind with a little humility and say “you know what, maybe I’m not very good at this team building thing?”

Man I’m glad he’s gone. Him and Michel Therrien made me completely disinterested in this club, going from 82 games a year, to 50, to 30, to I’ll check out opening night. Now my optimism and fandom is back in full swing. I am pumped for the season. Even if the team can’t make the push into the playoffs yet there is so much exciting youth being injected into the team. Let’s f***ing go! It’s nice to be Habs fan again.

I get where you're coming from but I seriously doubt Bergevin is very much focused or cares about what's going on in Montreal. He's employed by the Los Angeles Kings and is in all likelihood just focused on that role. Don't think he's going around comparing his GMing to Kent Hughes.

With that said, I doubt he ever gets a big gig like that again.

Reactions: 26Mats

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He's a risk. But Habs can take the risk, they have the salary cap and the space to fit in the line-up. Plus MSL who can be a great motivator. It doesn't work? Habs trade him in 2 years. And they already get that 2nd round choice. Will be interresting to watch starting the season. Mtl is a big market so many pple will look at him closely, that's pressure and Laine needed that nhl help program. Not sure it will work but very interresting awaiting the next season. Something happened!

Reactions: sampollock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad