Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Laine 8.7M$ Harris 1.4M$ so they save 7.3M$ this years and probably a bit less next year since Harris will need a Qualifing offer, also a player like Drouin make 2.5M$ so they are saving 5-6M$top and 6M$ is usually worth a late 1st round from team that think they can make the playoff (Toronto with Marleau / Calgary with Monahan) those player were not really expected to play, the CBJ pick is a 2nd rd but they aren't a playoff team and unlike the other exemple they also aren't spending to the limit or doing it to bring someone else in...
This can't be a win for CBJ they saved money, that isn't a good hockey move since they are rebuilding they need as many asset and picks as thhey can have, having too much unused cap space is useless.
Cap space is a asset but clearly some team have internal cap, they are paying GM/Coaches payed Laine bonus, they had other deals on the table but would of had to having to retain, that wasn't a option for them.

There is no down side since MTL have the cap space this year and even more next year. It is a GREAT trade the only question is if Laine is a GREAT/GOOD player. So for MTL the trade can only look better with Laine performing, which the opposite for the CBJ the trade can't be better than it is today, but it will get worst if Laine perform better.
Not sure why you don’t like what Columbus did. If they replace a player that fits better than Laine with that extra cap space you could look at it like a trade tree. That money isn’t just gone. It’s a huge asset. Just like what your very first sentence is. You broke down the contracts. It’s important

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sounds less appealing when you mention Laine is near a ppg player and CBJ's are worst then the Habs are.
Columbus are rebuilding and trading Laine means a lower finish. Trading a second sucks but Laine didn’t want to be there and that contract was expensive for a small market team. Moreover, you don’t want the distraction of a guy who doesn’t want to be there.

Plus they get Harris who’s not bad as he’ll give them a talented young blueliner. He helps to mitigate the loss of the pick. He wasn’t going to crack the lineup here but he’ll be able to develop and help them.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Columbus are rebuilding and trading Laine means a lower finish. Trading a second sucks but Laine didn’t want to be there and that contract was expensive for a small market team. Moreover, you don’t want the distraction of a guy who doesn’t want to be there.

Plus they get Harris who’s not bad as he’ll give them a talented young blueliner. He helps to mitigate the loss of the pick. He wasn’t going to crack the lineup here but he’ll be able to develop and help them.
Habs fans love it also it means the #2 pick we got will be very good.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Not sure why you don’t like what Columbus did. If they replace a player that fits better than Laine with that extra cap space you could look at it like a trade tree. That money isn’t just gone. It’s a huge asset. Just like what your very first sentence is. You broke down the contracts. It’s important
CBJ did the best out of a bad situation there is nothing to really like... They clear about 6.3M$ and even less next year (between harris and a replacement) by paying a 2nd (which should be early) previous team that move that kinda cash were not rebuilding they paid what was expected to be a late 1st + they didn't have any room or already a replacement plan... CBJ already had like 7M$ of cap space and there nothing imminent, if they don't use more than 7M$ than they didn't even need to clear cap space and it will be gone it isn't being save for the next season, clearly the finance aspect was a big factor since if the were worried about a hockey deal they should have retain and gotten a better return... What is the difference in having 7M$ of cap space or 15M$ if you aren't using it... It not like they got Mtl to pay to get Laine they paid a early 2nd vs. what other have don't in the past for a late 1st which isn't much a off a difference.

Reactions: Marioesque

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
CBJ did the best out of a bad situation there is nothing to really like... They clear about 6.3M$ and even less next year (between harris and a replacement) by paying a 2nd (which should be early) previous team that move that kinda cash were not rebuilding they paid what was expected to be a late 1st + they didn't have any room or already a replacement plan... CBJ already had like 7M$ of cap space and there nothing imminent, if they don't use more than 7M$ than they didn't even need to clear cap space and it will be gone it isn't being save for the next season, clearly the finance aspect was a big factor since if the were worried about a hockey deal they should have retain and gotten a better return... What is the difference in having 7M$ of cap space or 15M$ if you aren't using it... It not like they got Mtl to pay to get Laine they paid an early 2nd vs. what other have don't in the past for a late 1st which isn't much an off a difference.
Expectation is CBJ will now use the cap space to help the likes of Edm, NYI etc get some AAV relief in exchange for picks / prospects

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Only if that money is earmarked for player improvements. Remember the year we finish bottom 5 and had $9.2M in capspace? That was an MB gift his boss - look Geoff, i just made you $9.2M more this year.. dis y i no what im doing, trust da prossess

Reactions: StCaufield

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
That's the other thing tho

The mental issues weren't from the 'city'
They were from the poor locker rooms

We're fostering something a bit different these days
Building a young fun offensive team

And God willing, it's hopefully the environment that gets him back on that 44 goal track baby

I was against it at first but.. I didn't ACTUALLY think we'd be trying to get him lol, I was preparing myself to not get excited

But now seeing the cost too is just,
Wow.

Such a worth the gamble experiment after all
Of course his issues weren't from being in a city like Columbus as there is virtually no pressure playing there.
But he does have issues and playing in a pressure-cooker environment like Montreal could end up being difficult for him.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Could be true, but we'll never know one way or the other.. if he "had" to waive his ntc to move, he'd be bombarded with negative media..
We may not be a number 1 on the list of most desired spots for UFA’s, but I don’t think players dislike the idea of coming to a place like Montreal either. Especially for Europeans. As someone whose lived in the prairies their whole life, this isn’t Edmonton, Calgary, or Manitoba. It’s also not a place like Ottawa.

Reactions: themilosh

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This trade highlights the power of cap space
It also highlights how important guaging term is when constructing a roster.
How lucky are we to have an experienced contract man at the helm.
Basically avoid anything you push for in a contract as an agent. :laugh:

All kidding aside Hughes won't blindside us with immovable assets.
Cap Space is easy to come by when you can move out assets with little or no retention.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This has been my feeling, as well. Laine will be (1) joining a new team and system after (2) having played only 18 games last season, (3) having just been released from the player's assistance program, and (4) having recent shoulder surgery. Any one of those items could cause a player to get off to a slow start, so anyone expecting him to come out like gangbusters with all that stacked against him is setting themselves up for disappointment. Better to set expectations lower and see how things progress as the season unfolds. A slow start, but with improvement in the 2nd half of the season would still be a win. Folks need to have some patience (which can be a rare commodity around here).
True.
What I really hope to see is a healthy player showing a love for the game again.
I said very early on in the rumor thread I didn't think Laine even liked playing hockey.
The fact is his presence alone starts the rearranging of the deck chairs.
Anyone who was here when we acquired Vanek knows exactly what that brings to a team short on talent.
The rest will come naturally and we just need to keep his head and his emotions in the right place.
We have the right group to ensure Laine finds validation when not scoring by stressing the other positives at all times.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
This trade reminds me of the Jose Theodore/David Aebischer trade by us years ago. We’re taking all the risk on upside this time but it’s only for a few years. They get somebody cheap that will contribute at least short term, possibly long term.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
100% this. I still can't believe Calgary give us a first round pick to take Monahan and we traded him for another first round pick. The Monahan trade will always be Kent best move with the Habs.
And CBJ signing Monahan to a ridiculous contract probably helped Kent buying Laine so low.

Reactions: rahad

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Hey all
I hope all the
Anti trade for PL are pumped now 😀
I'm curious about how all those people feel who were pissed when we didn't sign players like Cam Atkinson or David Perron. :sarcasm:
Even though I was not pro Laine it was never a question of talent but the red flags and the unknowns.
I don't recall too many trades like this where a management team were given such a clear window into a players life pre-acquisition.
You can't help but be pumped and you can't help but to trust the process. Which I always said I would do.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I have no clue, all I read was that he was consulted on Harris.

Actually, not sure if he pushed to get him, it just mentions he was consulted on it (in the rumor sites like DLC and dose.ca they use the word 'pushed')

Source: Waddell interview with Jean-François Chaumont
A good article and I don't want to shove any spokes in Waddell's wheels but Jordan Harris clearly can't play both sides. :popcorn:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Of course his issues weren't from being in a city like Columbus as there is virtually no pressure playing there.
But he does have issues and playing in a pressure-cooker environment like Montreal could end up being difficult for him.
Yup
But times have changed
The no-fun Dinosaurs are gone.

Next 8-10 years are gonna be wild
And you better strap in or be left behind

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
We may not be a number 1 on the list of most desired spots for UFA’s, but I don’t think players dislike the idea of coming to a place like Montreal either. Especially for Europeans. As someone whose lived in the prairies their whole life, this isn’t Edmonton, Calgary, or Manitoba. It’s also not a place like Ottawa.
I agree to an extent, and in this instance i don't think we were on his list.. im just saying is we "were" then both ways we wouldn't be told that. In otherwords the question (itself) is terrible, as you can only get one answer.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Would Montreal fans be happy with a 30g/30a season from Laine, provided he plays a full season in your top 6?
You've seen what our team scoring looks like right.
25/25 with additional tangibles like being "hard to play against or helping the leadership group with the Kids"
so things that came out of his mouth would be a hugely successful season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad