Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't think it has a heist. Both team are happy about the trade.
Clearly CBJ can’t be happy about the situation… They might be glad it is over but I don’t any think fan would have agree to that trade proposal before it happen, no one would have agreed to Harris straight up… They did the best they could out of a bad situation new management also probably wanted to get it resolved before camp and clearly the money was a issue because the best hockey move would have been to retain salary and get a better return. Maybe heist isn’t the right word but he clearly won the game of chicken.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Clearly CBJ can’t be happy about the situation… They might be glad it is over but I don’t any think fan would have agree to that trade proposal before it happen, no one would have agreed to Harris straight up… They did the best they could out of a bad situation new management also probably wanted to get it resolved before camp and clearly the money was a issue because the best hockey move would have been to retain salary and get a better return. Maybe heist isn’t the right word but he clearly won the game of chicken.
This trade highlights the power of cap space

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
CBJ fans are less concerned about CBJ's internal lockerroom dynamics and cashflow than CBJ's management.

It wasn't a heist or even a game of chicken. Don Waddell tried to drum up interest and found there was no market for Laine at full price, so he took the least painful trade.

As a lot of us speculated for the past few weeks, Laine to the Habs at full caphit makes a lot of sense.

This trade highlights the power of cap space
The power of *utilizing* cap space. Cap space un-allocated is worthless.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
They can’t be agree with that transaction. But Columbus fans need to know that cap space is maybe the best asset they could have. And secundo, small market like Columbus, they are on retool/rebuild. Owner in those small market shouldnt Like to give that kind of money on a player Wich don’t bring any value. Don’t making playoff on a long stretch is hurting more Columbus than Montreal.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
It wasn't a heist or even a game of chicken. Don Waddell tried to drum up interest and found there was no market for Laine at full price, so he took the least painful trade.
Regardless of how you want to say it, He tried to drum up something and he still had to settled for the least painfull option… He definitely didn’t deal from a position of strength…
KH could easily could have offered to add a 2nd-3rd pick to get a deal done because he was always under pressure to get something done to improve the team and nobody would have batted a eye… instead he got a pick from a rebuilding team. CBJ isn’t going anything with that cap space so there isn’t much point (hockey related) in clearing it and if Laine was willing to come back in CBJ they wouldn’t not have trade him.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Why?

Just look at their lineup. Very unlikely this team goes anywhere in the next 2 years. Cayden Lidstrom wont be ready to play a major role for another 2 years. Outside of him they have Jiricek, Mateychuk and Fantilli not nearly enough to move the needle much. Unless they draft 1st overall in 2025 they should draft high in 2026.
And they just traded away a player who had 100 pts in 100 games for them lol

On his diamond encrusted dartboard?
Careful..
You've got enough people that dislike you as it is
Don't start takin pot-shots at the King.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Regardless of how you want to say it, He tried to drum up something and he still had to settled for the least painfull option… He definitely didn’t deal from a position of strength…
KH could easily could have offered to add a 2nd-3rd pick to get a deal done because he was always under pressure to get something done to improve the team and nobody would have batted a eye… instead he got a pick from a rebuilding team. CBJ isn’t going anything with that cap space so there isn’t much point (hockey related) in clearing it and if Laine was willing to come back in CBJ they wouldn’t not have trade him.
Sure, Hughes stuck to his guns and “won”. But I’m wary of praising things like that because it’s more cultish GM ego praise than it is tangible.

There’s a lot to praise and like about Hughes right now, I’d prefer to focus on those. I don’t feel he “won” a game of chicken as much as he got the player he wanted without overpaying.

Columbus trading away a second and getting Harris for almost 9 mil in cap space is actually an incredible deal for them based on the situation they were in. Montreal also made an incredible deal. This is a win for both teams who have very different situations
Yup. I’m sure CBJ fans are more upset than they need to be (and I certainly wouldn’t gloat in their face) but they needed to get rid of Laine and a confluence of factors worked against them and toward our favour… the 2023 Trade Deadline worked against us big time too — players who we could sell had no interest and those we wanted to sell were injured, and then non-NHLers like Belzile caught fire and won us too many points in the Bedard sweeps.

Sometimes you’re simply vulnerable to externalities. It sucks for CBJ that Laine had all of a clavical injury and shoulder surgery and was on the PAP until well after the free agent frenzy day. Really bad timing for them.

I like what Hughes has done with the luck he’s had here and there he’s also hedged very well in other ways. In other words: not signing some doofus contract on FA Frenzy day 2024 allowed us to pick up Laine + a 2nd round pick for essentially a spare part.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
This is a win win win trade for the habs if Lane pans out we just accelerated the rebuild massively if he don't oh well we weren't gonna be contenders in the next 2 years anyways and he will be traded or let go we got him for free we can't lose on this trade its an easy risk to take i think he will fit right in and next year with the Demidov add were gonna move forward really quickly.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

1724259501467.png

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Hey Buddy
You happy with the deal?
Yes!

This is what I wrote in the Laine thread two weeks back:
Barron and/or Struble is not something I’d part with for him. Both should have good careers and Barron in particular has some nice upside.

It has to be a pure dump. Harris is expendable so… sure. But that’s the most I’d give for him. And honestly, Columbus should be giving us something to take that contract.
Hugo did pretty much exactly what I said I'd do. Harris plus we get a pick. That's what I thought it should be and that's what we got.

That being said, I'm surprised he actually did it. :laugh: I thought he was going to move on to something else.

My expectations for this year are low for Laine. To me, I see it as a depth move for 24-25 and it could improve next year. I'd rather go in with low expectations with his injuries. But... he could blow that away. There's a lot of upside with him. He's got legit superstar talent. I think he probably is better next year than this season but we'll see. Either way he's a big talented body that we got for nothing (actually got paid to take him) so I don't see how we can be unhappy with the move.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Columbus trading away a second and getting Harris for almost 9 mil in cap space is actually an incredible deal for them based on the situation they were in. Montreal also made an incredible deal. This is a win for both teams who have very different situations
Sounds less appealing when you mention Laine is near a ppg player and CBJ's are worst then the Habs are.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
HuGo uses leverage every single time....................if the boys don't have it, they just wait.....the rebuild gave them the time to do so.................and they have incredible patience.

Trades where both teams win, are the best kind of trades.....each came away happy. For very different reasons.
As for Laine, if this kid can get motivated, man we are going to be in for some fun........go watch some hilights, he has size and a crazy shot!!

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Laine not here long term. Canadiens not going to lock him to big contract. He has lengthy injury history, has mental issues, terrible defensively. Too much there. Laine likely score 40 this year. You looking at 10 million a year for 7 years. Too much of a risk. If it goes bad his contract will kill team thru cup contending years. They will flip him get big return. He's holding the fort until Demidov is ready.
I disagree because of that salary. If he hits we keep him. Nobody has room to take on that contract.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Laine 8.7M$ Harris 1.4M$ so they save 7.3M$ this years and probably a bit less next year since Harris will need a Qualifing offer, also a player like Drouin make 2.5M$ so they are saving 5-6M$top and 6M$ is usually worth a late 1st round from team that think they can make the playoff (Toronto with Marleau / Calgary with Monahan) those player were not really expected to play, the CBJ pick is a 2nd rd but they aren't a playoff team and unlike the other exemple they also aren't spending to the limit or doing it to bring someone else in...
This can't be a win for CBJ they saved money, that isn't a good hockey move since they are rebuilding they need as many asset and picks as thhey can have, having too much unused cap space is useless.
Cap space is a asset but clearly some team have internal cap, they are paying GM/Coaches payed Laine bonus, they had other deals on the table but would of had to having to retain, that wasn't a option for them.

There is no down side since MTL have the cap space this year and even more next year. It is a GREAT trade the only question is if Laine is a GREAT/GOOD player. So for MTL the trade can only look better with Laine performing, which the opposite for the CBJ the trade can't be better than it is today, but it will get worst if Laine perform better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad