Value of: Patrick Kane to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Craigo85

Apr 24, 2018
Am I crazy to wonder about this? Can't get much better playoff experience than Kane, and Toronto needs one more top 6 winger.

Would need Chicago to retain a lot to make the cap work, obviously raises Toronto's cost.

Kane, Marner and Willy all are listed as RW, but could this still work? Seems like Kane-Tavares-Willy would be ideal as the 3rd member there hasn't been set and nobody would want to mess with the Matthews line right now.

Would Kane be okay moving to Toronto for 1.5 years? Geographically not much different than Toronto, but would the country matter? Would he want to play with Matthews ... who could be considered the best American player ever in another 10 years.

Another plus for Kane: you've got to think he'll have a good chance sustaining his points for a longer time and better chance at one more big contract (albeit for only about 4 years)

so am I crazy? How much more would Toronto need to add?

Assuming Toronto starts with a 1st round pick + Robertson + ???

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Kane would be the best add any team could make at the deadline. With that being said with only 1.5 years left and a 10 plus mill cap hit, there's no way Toronto could or should add him.

Craigo85

Apr 24, 2018
Not remotely going to happen on cap alone.

Kane would be the best add any team could make at the deadline. With that being said with only 1.5 years left and a 10 plus mill cap hit, there's no way Toronto could or should add him.

The closer Kane gets to 5.25M the more realistic it could be for the Leafs I think ... if Kerfoot was part of the deal i think it works this year based on the LTIR space we have? Next year the difference of Kerfoot + Kessel money being done is a wash. We have to worry about Reilly's raise and other changes, but seems like it is possible if we paid enough to Chicago to retain

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The closer Kane gets to 5.25M the more realistic it could be for the Leafs I think ... if Kerfoot was part of the deal i think it works this year based on the LTIR space we have? Next year the difference of Kerfoot + Kessel money being done is a wash. We have to worry about Reilly's raise and other changes, but seems like it is possible if we paid enough to Chicago to retain
With all the cap gymnastics, plus the massive package it would take, along with Kane only having 1.5 years left, this trade would be a disaster for the leafs.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Am I crazy to wonder about this? Can't get much better playoff experience than Kane, and Toronto needs one more top 6 winger.

Would need Chicago to retain a lot to make the cap work, obviously raises Toronto's cost.

Kane, Marner and Willy all are listed as RW, but could this still work? Seems like Kane-Tavares-Willy would be ideal as the 3rd member there hasn't been set and nobody would want to mess with the Matthews line right now.

Would Kane be okay moving to Toronto for 1.5 years? Geographically not much different than Toronto, but would the country matter? Would he want to play with Matthews ... who could be considered the best American player ever in another 10 years.

Another plus for Kane: you've got to think he'll have a good chance sustaining his points for a longer time and better chance at one more big contract (albeit for only about 4 years)

sometimes i like to play NHL with salary cap off

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

Rangers gave up two 1st rounders for MSL. In a world with Chariot gets bandied about for a 1st I can only imagine what a retained Kane would cost.

Salary cap wise I don’t get how it works without also sending back a big salary.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Go on, explain why I'm wrong. :)
Your wrong because no team is trading a ppg winger in their prime plus other good assets in a package for a better winger who is years older and only under contract for the rest of this year and next. I'm surprised I had to lay it out for you.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Kane's deal is backloaded a smidge, he's due 6.9 million in real dollars this season and next. Although retaining half might not be a trivial matter and would add to the asset cost. As others said, Toronto might have more pressing needs for their limited cap space.

Boston retained close to half on Milan Lucic (entering the last year of his contract) to make that trade work with LA's cap. That cost the Kings the 13th overall pick, Martin Jones, and Colin Miller. I'd imagine a retained Patrick Kane for two playoff runs would cost quite a bit more than that.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Kane's deal is backloaded a smidge, he's due 6.9 million in real dollars this season and next. Although retaining half might not be a trivial matter and would add to the asset cost. As others said, Toronto might have more pressing needs for their limited cap space.

Boston retained close to half on Milan Lucic (entering the last year of his contract) to make that trade work with LA's cap. That cost the Kings the 13th overall pick, Martin Jones, and Colin Miller. I'd imagine a retained Patrick Kane for two playoff runs would cost quite a bit more than that.
More then likely to much for the leafs.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Your wrong because no team is trading a ppg winger in their prime plus other good assets in a package for a better winger who is years older and only under contract for the rest of this year and next. I'm surprised I had to lay it out for you.

IMO Kane is still a tier above Nylander and the difference in age doesn't make up that value.

You would also have to send a ton of cap back, so who else would be going the other way instead to even out the money?

And Nylander is not a PPG winger. This is his best year and he's on pace for 74 points.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
IMO Kane is still a tier above Nylander and the difference in age doesn't make up that value.

You would also have to send a ton of cap back, so who else would be going the other way instead to even out the money?

And Nylander is not a PPG winger. This is his best year and he's on pace for 74 points.
No team trades a winger of Nylander calibre and age for 1.5 years of anyone. Kane is great but it would be a short sighted move from the leafs. I mean Miller has only paced for 90 points this year and has the same term, Kane is better so by your logic Vancouver should make the swap straight up because Kane is better then Miller, and because Miller is better the Nylander the Canucks don't require sending a package, it can be 1 for 1.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
No team trades a winger of Nylander calibre and age for 1.5 years of anyone. Kane is great but it would be a short sighted move from the leafs. I mean Miller has only paced for 90 points this year and has the same term, Kane is better so by your logic Vancouver should make the swap straight up because Kane is better then Miller, and because Miller is better the Nylander the Canucks don't require sending a package, it can be 1 for 1.

The Canucks and the Leafs are not in the same spot organizationally.

Leafs are trying to do pretty much whatever they can to push themselves over the top whereas the Canucks are looking at another retool.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The Canucks and the Leafs are not in the same spot organizationally.

Leafs are trying to do pretty much whatever they can to push themselves over the top whereas the Canucks are looking at another retool.
Leafs and Canucks would be in the same spot if this trade happend. Both in a retool. I have to say I'd much rather make the playoffs and take our chances with our core, then do this trade and be in a retool like Vancouver. Your team proved that poor asset management and bad signings can tank a franchise, yet here you are advocating for the leafs to do the same lol. Worry about the Canucks.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Good player might be available? What combination of disposable Toronto assets do we all think they would accept for their elite level player?

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Leafs and Canucks would be in the same spot if this trade happend. Both in a retool. I have to say I'd much rather make the playoffs and take our chances with our core, then do this trade and be in a retool like Vancouver. Your team proved that poor asset management and bad signings can tank a franchise, yet here you are advocating for the leafs to do the same lol. Worry about the Canucks.

The only change on your main roster would be the Nylander for Kane swap. How would that put you in a retool? :huh:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If you're going to go for that type of player the target would be the lesser version in Giroux or Kessel, the economics on Kane just doesn't work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad